Appreciation and Feedback from Soup

SuperElementSuperElement Join Date: 2013-07-09 Member: 186008Members
Hey there, just thought I'd drop in to say that I love the current state of Subnautica, it's shaping up nicely. I personally much more enjoy that being based in a high-science setting, disabling and shaping which are usually harder than killing and destroying are more the focus with it being technology enabled.
I find it quite fitting, considering a colonial vessel would be far more civilian than military- which makes sense, since in most games to date if the player wants to take a planet from hostile sentient creatures, they have to attack and occupy the planet, instead of colonize it (which leads me to think the Aurora expected no hostility they couldn't pacify with protective measures their technology is capable of).

Aside from that, I have little to say about changing what's already in, but have a few small ideas:

Tethering: The ability to tether larger space vessels to corridors of sea bases without requiring massive sea base modules in order to house them- I like being able to get into the Seamoth dry through a moonpool, and wouldn't mind the ability to walk into the Cyclops. Perhaps optional charging capabilities.

Progressive Sustenance Gathering: I love the inclusion of a Survival mode even though it might not be for everyone and the option is nice: however, in the current state when one has progressed to having more advanced machinery and the ability to travel further and dive deeper, I still end up having to stop every hour or so to hunt for small fish and salt for sustenance. Farming and filtration is a great idea that's already considered, but having net-guns (energy or physical) for small fish that can be retracted to make it a little easier to gather them, and perhaps trawling capabilities on a vessel might be nice while one builds up to domesticated gathering might be nice. Might be unnecessary though.

Magnetic/Gravity Field: As an add-on for the Seamoth, to be able to pull in small loose materials into storage or trail them to drop in a pit or somesuch, might be nice, unsure.

Small Scale Shielding: As the Aurora had? shielding technology, seeing smaller-scale shielding technology further on with substantial power draw might be nice for base environments that players might wish to have bases in more hazardous environments.

Collapsible Base Storage: The ability to collapse base lockers into heavy movable objects to be placed in vessel cargo holds to transfer between bases would reduce a substantial effort just to move resources between areas should a player be more industrious.

Small Cargo Vessel: A vessel smaller than the Cyclops dedicated to utility rather than exploration for sea base management could be nice for consolidating resources and perhaps the ability to repair bases within a vessel in more dangerous environments.

Elsewise I'm excited for the progression of the game- the only thing currently not present that I would absolutely wish for the end product would be a story-driven campaign, with goals and obstacles leading up to a climax. Personally I'm not big on the multiplayer, co-op or not, because I love the atmosphere of isolation present in the game already- and I would prefer a feature-rich SP game than a watered down (hyuk) MP game.

Keep up the great work!

Comments

• BaleBale France Join Date: 2015-09-05 Member: 207737Members

Tethering: The ability to tether larger space vessels to corridors of sea bases without requiring massive sea base modules in order to house them- I like being able to get into the Seamoth dry through a moonpool, and wouldn't mind the ability to walk into the Cyclops. Perhaps optional charging capabilities.

Collapsible Base Storage: The ability to collapse base lockers into heavy movable objects to be placed in vessel cargo holds to transfer between bases would reduce a substantial effort just to move resources between areas should a player be more industrious.

Small Cargo Vessel: A vessel smaller than the Cyclops dedicated to utility rather than exploration for sea base management could be nice for consolidating resources and perhaps the ability to repair bases within a vessel in more dangerous environments.

I really like those ones. Especially the idea of moving lockers by carrying them. It would be really useful.