Creature concept: blood sack

ThryanThryan Italy Join Date: 2015-10-17 Member: 208543Members
I've been having this idea in mind for almost a week and today i decided: why not share it with the rest of the subnautica community? (English is not my native language so if i make some mistakes please forgive me)

The blood kelp biome is by far my favorite and this ispirated me to think about a creature that could live there, this is more or less how i think it should look like:

12079662_508772202620205_6974395308330009866_n.jpg?oh=09599a8a817cf17b223bb7ba1d5f4e4a&oe=5693B352

now let's talk more in dept about him:

- aggressive or defensive?
there are already a ton of super aggressive monsters in the game so i wanted to do something more pacific, the idea is of a omnivorous creature that eats only small fish and plants but can also attack predators if needed.

- why blood sack?
well im terrible at naming things and this is probably temporary but why i called him like this? you probably have noticed the big ''bubbles'' near his head, the idea is of a defensive sistem similiar to the gasopod's one, these 3 sacks are red and full of the feces's creature, all the remains of what he eat go there and if in danger a special substance is released in the membrane making it extremely easy to break. Depending on the size of the sacks themselves a poisonous cloud is released poisoning the predator (not as much as the gasopods), an extended exposure may cause temporary paralisys or even death (depending on the size).
If in extreme danger he will emit a very acute sound breakig all the sacks left, this however leave him very exposed considering they usualy take 3-5 days to regrow at a decent size (depending on how much he eat) and he will always try to avoid that.

- Coloration
of course the colors would be very similiar to the blood kelps (blood sacks red, body white with some green..). Except for the head wich is covered in an exosckeleton made of bones.

- Vision
The blood kelp biome can be a very dark place and his eyes are very good at ''catching'' the small light's emitted by the plants.

- movement
well...this is probably the weakest part of my idea, the tentacles at end should be able to reunite making a tail or open at any time and i think he probably would swin like the jumpers do.

- size
probably a little bit less large then a shocker, longer but not as long as a crab snake

and that's it, i know the devs will probably never consider this concept but why not try right? also i would really like to hear what do you think about this

Comments

• ProfessorChillProfessorChill Canada Join Date: 2015-10-17 Member: 208553Members
    You are an amazing artist, I would love to see this passive aggressive enemy come into the game, I would like to see it florescent on the inside too, that'd be cool :D
  • ShuryCZShuryCZ Czech Republic Join Date: 2015-07-07 Member: 206047Members
    @Thryan Good work, man! I like the idea and personally think, that it could be usable in almost any biome (considering that Blood Kelp biome is kind of finished). The fact, that the sacks would take time to re-grow means the fauna is in "stages". The Blood Sack has sacks = more aggresive. It has no sacks = less aggresive, cannot defent itself, meaning different schemes of behavior.

Furthermore, what I appreciate about your post is how you think in context of the existing content in the game. Those are some amazing ideas, I think I am going to try my own sketch. :smile:
  • lorcogothlorcogoth belgium Join Date: 2015-09-14 Member: 207943Members
    I like your idea but the creature would already be scary enough if it was the size of bone shark or a bit larger. Also the shocker is already going to in habit the blood kelp biome so another large creature might not happen.
  • ThryanThryan Italy Join Date: 2015-10-17 Member: 208543Members
    @ShuryCZ love the idea of differents behaviors depending on the sacks

lorcogoth wrote: »
    I like your idea but the creature would already be scary enough if it was the size of bone shark or a bit larger. Also the shocker is already going to in habit the blood kelp biome so another large creature might not happen.

You're probably right, i wasn't sure about the size and i understand that another big creature there may not be needed
  • ConthrarConthrar Join Date: 2015-08-28 Member: 207534Members
    I love this and hope the devs consider adding it.
  • The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
    edited October 2015
    When I saw the title of this post, for some reason the first thing I saw in my head was a fish that's based on this:
    blood1.jpg
    I mean, it could be a fish. Take out the tube, the little... flap things on top are the fins, give it some eyes, a few other fins and stuff... It kinda looks like a fish.

That aside, I love the idea. I've always wanted there to be a creature in SN that's really freaking massive, but honestly couldn't care less about your existence. Not like a Reefback, they're... *grin* too small for what I'm looking for.
  • HalindrixHalindrix USA Join Date: 2015-10-22 Member: 208675Members
    Name could be Bone Lurker
    Just a thought.
  • ThryanThryan Italy Join Date: 2015-10-17 Member: 208543Members
    @Halindrix yeah I didn't realy take time to think about a decent name when i made this post, bone lurker Sounds good.

Btw thanks to everyone For the feedback :)
  • SourBlueSourBlue France Join Date: 2015-09-02 Member: 207670Members
    I LOVE IT !
    I LOVE THE DRAWING TOO !
    I LOVE BLOOD !
    I LOVE SUBNAUTICA !
    I LOVE SKELETONS ! Wait what ?!
  • The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
    @SourBlue Based on your profile pic, you also love FNAF.

And tacos.