[API REQUEST] Steam Overlay state

WyzcrakWyzcrak Pot Pie Aficionado Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10447Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
I'm modding AFK fidelity, and I want to be able to monitor the Steam Overlay open/closed/activity state.

If anyone could reply (now or after the release of a future accommodating build) with any means by which I could track a player's Steam Overlay usage in the pursuit of preventing AFK false positives, I'd be very grateful.

Comments

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2015
    This should be pretty easy to do engine side, I'll see if I can figure it out. MAYBE it will get into next patch, will push for this to be added. I am pretty sure there is also a way to get if you are alt tabbed or not too. You can search the api in the docs folder.

https://trello.com/c/NCOniTi0/914-add-ability-to-get-the-state-of-the-steam-overlay
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    It's done already, now to see if it will be included in the next patch
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    It's done already, now to see if it will be included in the next patch

SamusDroid OP.
    90% of the hard work was already done, was just a matter of exposing it to lua B)
  • WyzcrakWyzcrak Pot Pie Aficionado Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10447Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Thank you. :)

I'm using Client.GetIsWindowFocused() for alt-tabbed. It's boolean, which makes sense -- I don't expect the game to tell me what activity level is happening in other applications. Will this Steam Overlay API addition also be boolean, or might it give me some insight into how recently the user has been active in the overlay?
    edited October 2015
    It's a boolean GetSteamOverlayActive. It would take more work that I don't really know much about in engine code to make it track time.
  • WyzcrakWyzcrak Pot Pie Aficionado Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10447Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Delicious. Thank you.