Useful things from the siege mod

gungorgegungorge US Join Date: 2014-08-31 Member: 198194Members
While in many ways siege mod is a completely different game than vanilla ns2, I think there are some features in that mod that would benefit ns2 in general. The best idea here is that basing the game around rt killing is stupid. It makes games end without half the tech available. It's tedious for the skulks/marines doing the rt killing. It makes it WAY WAY WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY TOO EASY TO PUB STOMP.

1. Games are a lot more fun with full tech. The concept of tech denial has become so prevalent that currently 90% of the games I play have 2 outcomes: Marines die, or aliens never get onos/stomp/xenocide. I think part of this is because everything is so expensive. Unless you own most of the RTs on the map it takes way too long to get money for new jps/exos/onos/fades.

2. Games are a lot more fun with 14 RTs per side (28 total). The time between even onos/exos is less than 5 minutes. A full on rush that wipes a techpoint doesn't end the game like it often does currently. It just means that in five minutes the other side can take it back. Or get a pg/tunnel up and steal a different tech point.

3. Onos stomp drops bonewall on exos. If exos have range they'll typically melt onoses. If an exo is stupid enough to get near that doorway however...

4. Skulks drop rupture on death. This is a very effective tactic to get higher lifeforms in range. However if you miss time your rush or move predicably....good thing there's 14 rts right?

5. Gorges can walk up wallks like skulks. Spidergorges are awesome. 'nough said. (Though tarzangorge a.k.a. gorge hook is even more awesome)

6. NS1 features like beacons spawn everybody and command centers can go anywhere add a lot of interesting options for marines. Aliens taking down power in main? Build a chair next to alien main, beacon, and watch hilarity ensue.

7. The credit system is awesome. Onos/fades dropping whips/crags behind marines is hilarious. (Though not quite as funny as a marine dropping a pg/arc next to a hive/res room)

The catch here is that this kind of setup relies on a linear style map vs. vanilla's 4-5 pointed star. Being able to flank without sneaking eggs/fades around might make many of these features intractable. Or more awesome. Can't decide which.

Comments

• unrenderedunrendered Finland Join Date: 2013-11-07 Member: 189137Members, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2015
    Just play seige then. Why make two different game modes into one.

What you takes the RTS out of ns2. At that point it is an imbalanced deathmatch only.

I disagree with your assertion that endgame tech is more fun. Skulking is one of the most fun things in this game, especially in the 1st minute of the game.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Siege is fun in it's own right, but the "lol randomness" aspect isn't fit for a game that tries to be competitive. Plus tech progression and resource/tech denial is one of the foundations of the strategy genre.

One of the main draws of Siege over vanilla ns2 is it allows both teams to fight at their full power, for the average pub player it means they don't have to worry about not getting to play their preferred weapon or lifeform, but for those who play competitively it is basically stripping away a large portion of the game.
  • gungorgegungorge US Join Date: 2014-08-31 Member: 198194Members
    Siege is fun in it's own right, but the "lol randomness" aspect isn't fit for a game that tries to be competitive. Plus tech progression and resource/tech denial is one of the foundations of the strategy genre.

One of the main draws of Siege over vanilla ns2 is it allows both teams to fight at their full power, for the average pub player it means they don't have to worry about not getting to play their preferred weapon or lifeform, but for those who play competitively it is basically stripping away a large portion of the game.

It might seem that way, but it's not. Which is the interesting thing about siege. The RTS parts are still there. Res denial is still there (albeit through coordinated slaughter of the other team, but similar concept). Tech denial isn't, but who cares? I mean unless you're a troll or are trying to account for a horribly done patch, tech denial is annoying at best and game breaking at worst.

The general flow of a vanilla ns2 game:
    1. Build some rts
    2. kill some rts
    3. Get pgs
    4. hold onto tech points while hitting rts
    5. Coordinate some rushes/arcs/bile
    6. Start a new game at 1

The general flow of a vanilla ns2 game with a +/-2200 kill disparity between best and worst player (equal mean skill between teams):
    1. Build some rts
    2. Lose rts
    3. Build them again
    4. Dead
    5. Leave base
    6. Oh is that a shotgun?
    7. Build a tunnel
    8. Win

As opposed to this:
    1. Epic battle in crossroads
    2. Oh noes! A tunnel in reactor! Don't worry we're about to beacon into comp lab for a quick sub kill
    3. Dang it they got atrium, well back to the epic battle in crossroads.
    4. Okay we got cross...why is a fade dropping whips in sub?
    5. That distraction was...effective. Let's kill flight. Oh no an ambush! Beacon to reactor. GG marines win.

If you haven't played much siege I recommend you do. It proves it's possible to have long epic games, disparate skill compositions, and still be a complex rts/fps hybrid that relies on teamwork.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    If you have seige mod already, why make vanilla ns2 a clone of seige mod?
    I was thinking more along the lines of trying to use some features from siege *where it makes sense* to try and make the game more fun for both teams. Even in captain'd games about half the ones I play involve rt rushing followed complete domination by on side.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited October 2015
    gungorge wrote: »
    The best idea here is that basing the game around rt killing is stupid. It makes games end without half the tech available. It's tedious for the skulks/marines doing the rt killing.

I stopped reading here. (not really, but really)
    Even in captain'd games about half the ones I play involve rt rushing followed complete domination by on side.

Yes... this is how the game is played.

Yes... this is how the game is played.

Any game where stomping is a core tenet of the design is a broken game. This is why our population is so low. I don't understand why so many people don't get this.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I don't agree with your first post, but I agree with your last one. ;)
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    While in many ways siege mod is a completely different game than vanilla ns2, I think there are some features in that mod that would benefit ns2 in general. The best idea here is that basing the game around rt killing is stupid. It makes games end without half the tech available. It's tedious for the skulks/marines doing the rt killing. It makes it WAY WAY WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY TOO EASY TO PUB STOMP.

1. Games are a lot more fun with full tech. The concept of tech denial has become so prevalent that currently 90% of the games I play have 2 outcomes: Marines die, or aliens never get onos/stomp/xenocide. I think part of this is because everything is so expensive. Unless you own most of the RTs on the map it takes way too long to get money for new jps/exos/onos/fades.

2. Games are a lot more fun with 14 RTs per side (28 total). The time between even onos/exos is less than 5 minutes. A full on rush that wipes a techpoint doesn't end the game like it often does currently. It just means that in five minutes the other side can take it back. Or get a pg/tunnel up and steal a different tech point.

3. Onos stomp drops bonewall on exos. If exos have range they'll typically melt onoses. If an exo is stupid enough to get near that doorway however...

4. Skulks drop rupture on death. This is a very effective tactic to get higher lifeforms in range. However if you miss time your rush or move predicably....good thing there's 14 rts right?

5. Gorges can walk up wallks like skulks. Spidergorges are awesome. 'nough said. (Though tarzangorge a.k.a. gorge hook is even more awesome)

6. NS1 features like beacons spawn everybody and command centers can go anywhere add a lot of interesting options for marines. Aliens taking down power in main? Build a chair next to alien main, beacon, and watch hilarity ensue.

7. The credit system is awesome. Onos/fades dropping whips/crags behind marines is hilarious. (Though not quite as funny as a marine dropping a pg/arc next to a hive/res room)

The catch here is that this kind of setup relies on a linear style map vs. vanilla's 4-5 pointed star. Being able to flank without sneaking eggs/fades around might make many of these features intractable. Or more awesome. Can't decide which.

Kkyle is that you?
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2015
    I dont agree with 99% of that 1st post, just no... all those features bar 1, would just make me stop playing Ns2, i have played seige and its awesome to play, but it should stay a mod, same as the Old combat mod was.
    The only Feature that i would even consider from seige mod, is the skulk Rupture.
    Infact that sounds quite good, If a skulk was killed by a marine, and the skulk dies on Infestation, then it would create a "small" rupture, off course smaller than the alien commanders one, but enough to be annoying for the marines, off course like it always has been, it can be blocked by looking the other way.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    MaxAmus wrote: »
    I dont agree with 99% of that 1st post, just no... all those features bar 1, would just make me stop playing Ns2, i have played seige and its awesome to play, but it should stay a mod, same as the Old combat mod was.
    The only Feature that i would even consider from seige mod, is the skulk Rupture.
    Infact that sounds quite good, If a skulk was killed by a marine, and the skulk dies on Infestation, then it would create a "small" rupture, off course smaller than the alien commanders one, but enough to be annoying for the marines, off course like it always has been, it can be blocked by looking the other way.

you know what, i'd like to spider gorge, but i wouldn't want others to spider gorge... you know what i mean? spider gorge would be pretty game breaking, but... they're too damn cute.

• ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2015
    NS has always been a game about economy. Part of the purpose of succeeding in the early game is to secure an advantage in the late game, and the way you do that is by earning more res than the enemy team and/or denying tech. If you take that away then it's just a completely different game at that point. Snowballing is only really a problem if the game becomes tedious because the team that is clearly winning isn't able to end it quickly enough. Not every game needs to reach endgame tech.