Anti-cheat / dealing with hackers

MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
edited September 2015 in NS2 General Discussion
So awhile back I heard from an admin (IBIS if I remember correctly) that the CDT was working on something for a future update that would stop cheaters from using their hacks somehow.

What's the word on that? Just came from a game against a guy with 8.11 average kdr, only 35 hours, and a private steam profile (3 red flags, pretty suspicious)... and earlier this week I was spectating a guy that was snapping to targets on the other side of walls so blatantly you'd think it was CoD. Would just be nice to have some sort of an idea when these cheaters might be dealt with. (if ever)

NS2 does seem like a fairly clean game cheat wise... but lately I've been noticing more and more suspicious stuff... Like people who are dominating everyone and they just happen to be changing their name each game... Or people who overnight go from being a below average player to topping the scoreboard and carrying their team. Ya know, things that make you go hmmmm and wonder just how clean the game really is.

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2015
    Beside many other topic the CDT also has talked about cheats and how they affect ns2.

NS2 is protected in first instance by VAC. But fighting cheats is a cat and mouse game as the cheats software industry has become quiet large and professional (pcgamer article about that)

And we all know that VAC due to it's nature doesn't solve the cheat problem alone at all. Tbh we also know very well that creating cheats for NS2 is not that hard at all due to the nature of spark.

Also we are aware that there exist quiet a bunch of working cheats for NS2. But actively working against them is far out of the league of the CDT.

So what we want is to introduce features allowing to better catch obvious cheaters ruining other's game experience. But until that point in the future you have to rely on moderated servers.

Last but not least a word of caution: Due to the technical design of the in-game spectator system it is totally not suited to investigate into if someone is cheating.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    So awhile back I heard from an admin (IBIS if I remember correctly) that the CDT was working on something for a future update that would stop cheaters from using their hacks somehow.

What's the word on that? Just came from a game against a guy with 8.11 average kdr, only 35 hours, and a private steam profile (3 red flags, pretty suspicious)... and earlier this week I was spectating a guy that was snapping to targets on the other side of walls so blatantly you'd think it was CoD. Would just be nice to have some sort of an idea when these cheaters might be dealt with. (if ever)

NS2 does seem like a fairly clean game cheat wise... but lately I've been noticing more and more suspicious stuff... Like people who are dominating everyone and they just happen to be changing their name each game... Or people who overnight go from being a below average player to topping the scoreboard and carrying their team. Ya know, things that make you go hmmmm and wonder just how clean the game really is.

I know EXACTLY who you are talking about, everytime I join a game when he is there I jump into spectator and he deliberately sandbags to throw people off, cant stand this guy wish there was more we can do
  • yodalryodalr Estonia Join Date: 2015-05-18 Member: 204630Members
    fckign cheaters are killing this game
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2015
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    [...]

I know EXACTLY who you are talking about, everytime I join a game when he is there I jump into spectator and he deliberately sandbags to throw people off, cant stand this guy wish there was more we can do

Contact the admin of the server you play on. Some admin even collaborate and share their ban lists with each other.
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    If you have any Video Proof (would need more than 1 video, maybe a few) get a few people and show them, server admins - Some off the Comp players may help with this, even message me on steam with the videos. Nothing can be done unless there is clear proof, and that everyone who watches the videos agree.
  • unrenderedunrendered Finland Join Date: 2013-11-07 Member: 189137Members, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited October 2015
  • Perman12Perman12 Campuchia Join Date: 2015-01-31 Member: 201130Members
    edited October 2015
    You guys ever hear about internet Meme KQLY-fornia VACation ?

After that CSGO scandal with 250.000 $ prize for Titan team if they win , they have been disqualified

And that is LAN event with spectator all over the place ... they coundt spot that with human eyes

Only when Valve recieve an "unknow email" from a professional players that tell them to check Workshop mod that Titan team have download and use >> From OFFICAL VALVE WORKSHOP Server ( Genius !)

After that ( 2 freaking weeks later frrom that tournament ==') , KQLY profile have been marked VAC flag and he change profile status to "Private"

Valve have changes the rule of CSGO and all other source engine competitive rules >> Players must have "No private" status on their Steam profile to jump in competitive Tournament ( with big prize later on , there is even betting scandal )

P/s : my point is CDT dev team should add some code line to make players when connect to NS2 server , at least they will be disconect if their Steam profile status is "Private" . One small step but it can be help like CSGO Valve did
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Perman12 wrote: »
    You guys ever hear about internet Meme KQLY-fornia VACation ?

After that CSGO scandal with 250.000 $ prize for Titan team if they win , they have been disqualified

And that is LAN event with spectator all over the place ... they coundt spot that with human eyes

Only when Valve recieve an "unknow email" from a professional players that tell them to check Workshop mod that Titan team have download and use >> From OFFICAL VALVE WORKSHOP Server ( Genius !)

After that ( 2 freaking weeks later frrom that tournament ==') , KQLY profile have been marked VAC flag and he change profile status to "Private"

Valve have changes the rule of CSGO and all other source engine competitive rules >> Players must have "No private" status on their Steam profile to jump in competitive Tournament ( with big prize later on , there is even betting scandal )

P/s : my point is CDT dev team should add some code line to make players when connect to NS2 server , at least they will be disconect if their Steam profile status is "Private" . One small step but it can be help like CSGO Valve did

Oh the irony!

Hows @ZeroEarTh been anyways, I have not heard from him in a while?

• Perman12Perman12 Campuchia Join Date: 2015-01-31 Member: 201130Members
    edited October 2015
    Im not get your irony ? Badge people allways act like a D--ck head to new players ?

See for your-self before talking like that with new people , heres your signature quote :smile:
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

George Carlin

So im a new player and im a idiot is thats how you treat people when you cant talk reason with them ?

Hows ? im not even know you Its Internet bro , im just here to visit main forums from Steam Forum , see how developers work ?
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Im not get your irony ? Badge people allways act like a D--ck head to new players ?

See for your-self before talking like that with new people , heres your signature quote :smile:
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

George Carlin

So im a new player and im a idiot is thats how you treat people when you cant talk reason with them ?

Hows ? im not even know you Its Internet bro , im just here to visit main forums from Steam Forum , see how developers work ?

Ahh... What? Did i miss something...because i am confused? did he offend you in some way? Do you take offence to his Sig? i dont get it....maybe i am just slow...
    He just said oh the Irony "the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect." as in, he got banned....
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2015
    yodalr wrote: »

This is nonsense.

I dont play NS2 anymore but its sad to see comments like this.
    You play NS2 for how many hrs?
    Keep in mind that you play against players with over 2000 hrs and more.
    And some are just better than others, so simple is that.

Small example:
    After i stopped playing NS2 i tried CS:Go.
    But it was never my game cause i dont like different aspects of the game (movement, weaponhandling)
    So i stopped playing CS:Go also and im playing Warface now till Star wars Battlefront is coming out.
    Warface is a very compact free to play shooter from Crytec with a relative low playerbase (Around 3000).
    It took me 1 week to be "the cheater".
    The average skill of the players there is so fukin low its unbelievable.
    Now, in every round people yelling at me that im a hacker. In EVERY round.

2 Weeks to be "the hacker", now imagine someone playing a game over 2000 hrs.
    Imagine someone who is training every aspect of the game.

If you own CS:Go i have a small experiment for you.
    Watch this video:

Setting up the options like in the video and try to hit the targets.
    I was shocked when i tried this the 1st time and this opened my eyes.
    The pro players there are so far beyon casual ones.

NS2 has "pro players" also, and they are also far beyon casual ones.

There are some cheaters out there for sure, but i would say its only a hand full cause NS2 is not the game typical cheaters play. They play more CoD style games and CS:Go fore sure.
    They want to "own", but if the commander didnt give them ammo, they cant "own".

unrendered wrote: »
    hacker = >20% acc

This is also nonsense.
    Every high div player has >20% on pub.
    I know players who had over 30% constantly in there best times.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    edited October 2015

George Carlin

What do you mean.... badge people?

And @dePARA , Any high div player should have >20% in a match (The number in a match should be >25% tbh, but whatever), so if a high div player is playing in a pub, and actually aiming, it would usually be >30%. Get your point anyways, but just saying. After b250 25% became the new 20% (unrendered was sarcastic btw)
  • unrenderedunrendered Finland Join Date: 2013-11-07 Member: 189137Members, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited October 2015
    dePARA wrote: »
    This is also nonsense.

the sarcasm wasn't obvious?

even some rookies hit over 20% occasionally lol

check out my frag movie to see how to deal with the hacking kiddies

• 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    @depara, that vid made me feel a little nauseaus, but def enlightening.

p.s. come back to ns2 :D
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    dePARA wrote: »

This is nonsense.

I dont play NS2 anymore but its sad to see comments like this.
    You play NS2 for how many hrs?
    Keep in mind that you play against players with over 2000 hrs and more.
    And some are just better than others, so simple is that.

Small example:
    After i stopped playing NS2 i tried CS:Go.
    But it was never my game cause i dont like different aspects of the game (movement, weaponhandling)
    So i stopped playing CS:Go also and im playing Warface now till Star wars Battlefront is coming out.
    Warface is a very compact free to play shooter from Crytec with a relative low playerbase (Around 3000).
    It took me 1 week to be "the cheater".
    The average skill of the players there is so fukin low its unbelievable.
    Now, in every round people yelling at me that im a hacker. In EVERY round.

2 Weeks to be "the hacker", now imagine someone playing a game over 2000 hrs.
    Imagine someone who is training every aspect of the game.

If you own CS:Go i have a small experiment for you.
    Watch this video:

Setting up the options like in the video and try to hit the targets.
    I was shocked when i tried this the 1st time and this opened my eyes.
    The pro players there are so far beyon casual ones.

NS2 has "pro players" also, and they are also far beyon casual ones.

There are some cheaters out there for sure, but i would say its only a hand full cause NS2 is not the game typical cheaters play. They play more CoD style games and CS:Go fore sure.
    They want to "own", but if the commander didnt give them ammo, they cant "own".

unrendered wrote: »
    hacker = >20% acc

This is also nonsense.

Unless they've encountered aa bunch of gorges, 30 is still pretty hard to break consistently, those better players also do stupid stuff like blind fire and prefire.

Cost benefit of giving away information and getting that extra bit of damage in.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @DEPARA that video isnt something to strive for, its not healthy.
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    Just meet a player who had played for 350 hours acording to hive profil i couldn't cheek the steam profile since he was private. Anyways he killed absolutley evryone and took down the hive all by himself. He killed people with 1000 hours of play time like flies. So i got a bit suspicius then later i came to kill him from behind no Scan no observatory nothing. And just rymning not notice me and suddenly when i was about to bite him he didn't do anything just running but still he killed me with a shotgunshot my ping was like 50 and his was 30 so that could not be the problem. His name was ill if anyone knows him if he hack or not please tell me!
    edited October 2015
    lussebull wrote: »
    Just meet a player who had played for 350 hours acording to hive profil i couldn't cheek the steam profile since he was private. Anyways he killed absolutley evryone and took down the hive all by himself. He killed people with 1000 hours of play time like flies. So i got a bit suspicius then later i came to kill him from behind no Scan no observatory nothing. And just rymning not notice me and suddenly when i was about to bite him he didn't do anything just running but still he killed me with a shotgunshot my ping was like 50 and his was 30 so that could not be the problem. His name was ill if anyone knows him if he hack or not please tell me!

Sounds like he did see you on the mini map. If i notice a skulk is close to me and tries to be "sneaky" i often follow the same tactic: Bait him to come closer by moving forward then do a 180 degree rotation and shot him with my shotgun.
  • RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow

Sounds like he did see you on the mini map. If i notice a skulk is close to me and tries to be "sneaky" i often follow the same tactic: Bait him to come closer by moving forward then do a 180 degree rotation and shot him with my shotgun.

Why exactly would game display an enemy that is sneaking behind you on a minimap unless someone else spotted the skulk? That wouldn't make any sense in a game where one side entirely relies on sneaking techniques...
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    SantaClaws wrote: »

I have 350 hours recorded on hive - my steam profile has 2400. Hive was launched way after ns2 was on steam.
    I played against a guy nicked ill on a pub recently, I don't think he was bad, but I had no reason to suspect him of cheat.
    The last situation you're talking about sounds really standard to me.
    Met the guy.

Had some games as opponent. Same scenario every time.
    -When he starts to lose, at some point your team becomes dumb or replaced by a bunch of rookies (or both). Then you loose.
    -Even as commander he gets out before you even show up in a base (no obs or scan involved). I don't know how to do that as a commander myself.

Looks like he is farming (D**k issue probably). I made my mind after several games. Whatever he is doing/using, I avoid the company.

Concerning aim in a general context:

I'm tired to see god like aim player even in total darkness, while the guy have no clue about where from, and when you gonna hit. It feels like you're a pink fluorescent shape on his screen whatever happens/wherever you are (total darkness). It's the kind that never checks left/right or anything and fall into a trap but always escapes... Good players don't fall into a trap by using the brain, in the first place.

I'm also tired to see that this game still favor aim while it is supposed to be THE game in which you're supposed to "outsmart" the opponent with a strategy and a bit of teamwork.

Maybe skin mods shouldn't be authorized by default or something. It's not like we still have ATI rage pro 128 hardware... is it?
    RejZoR wrote: »

Why exactly would game display an enemy that is sneaking behind you on a minimap unless someone else spotted the skulk? That wouldn't make any sense in a game where one side entirely relies on sneaking tech

First off, if you're catching up to him on the ground and he's running you're not stalking so you are making noise.

Secondly, line of sight was too hard to code correctly I think, so the devs just made it 360 los for things to appear. Incidentally, that includes all 3 dimensions and theres a second delay before enemies dissapear from map after they leave los, like round a corner. If you want to fake out a chaser, wait a tick before switching directions otherwise you risk them knowing exactly which path you took.

Also lorewise, they'd probably sat nanites is the answer.

We all know who you are talking about, every server he joins he spoils the fun and completely decimates the opposing team with his near perfect aim that's been questionable for some time, until it is proven he is suspected of foul play he roams free to do as he pleases, for now I refuse to believe anyone can achieve a KDR over 8.0 not even our very best comp players have theirs that high.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow

We all know who you are talking about, every server he joins he spoils the fun and completely decimates the opposing team with his near perfect aim that's been questionable for some time, until it is proven he is suspected of foul play he roams free to do as he pleases, for now I refuse to believe anyone can achieve a KDR over 8.0 not even our very best comp players have theirs that high.

On a statistical level, it is incredibly unlikely. So few people have over a 2 K/D. The top 10% of players for K/D starts at around 1.6 K/D.
    It is not impossible, just unlikely.
    Nordic wrote: »

On a statistical level, it is incredibly unlikely. So few people have over a 2 K/D. The top 10% of players for K/D starts at around 1.6 K/D.

Depends on his playstyle really.

Gate guarding can net you ludicrous kd. And fading.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    amoral wrote: »

I do not disagree those can get you ridiculous K/D's. I was speaking in recorded hive K/D which this guy has a recorded hive KDR over 8.

It is really quite rare for someone to have that high of a recorded K/D in hive. It is in the highest 0.1%. It is not impossible because he exists, and there are others too.

So few people have such high K/D's regularly. The hive skill value correlates with a players ability to win, and is supposed to predict a players ability to win. I would think these players with absurd amount K/D's would have a high hive score but they typically do not.

So what does it mean if they have a high recorded K/D on hive, but also a low hive skill?
  • HarmoniusZHarmoniusZ Poland Join Date: 2013-11-06 Member: 189038Members
    From a perspective of an average FPS player it doesn't really matter if he is a cheater or a good player. I have played several rounds with this guy and remember loosing once (when he joined mid-late game). And, moreover, I saw at least one game that was already lost for one team but then the guy suddenly joins the server and losing team and it becomes very long and boring game (with losing team suddenly becoming the winning one)... because (on a 20+ slots server!) the one guy is just completely ruining experience for almost every player.

It's just another example (and motivation for CDT, i hope) that separation of best players and worst should be top priority now. It was the biggest fail when NS2 started and still (practically) nothing was done to solve it. You won't keep more players around until this issue exist.
    edited October 2015
    HarmoniusZ wrote: »
    From a perspective of an average FPS player it doesn't really matter if he is a cheater or a good player. I have played several rounds with this guy and remember loosing once (when he joined mid-late game). And, moreover, I saw at least one game that was already lost for one team but then the guy suddenly joins the server and losing team and it becomes very long and boring game (with losing team suddenly becoming the winning one)... because (on a 20+ slots server!) the one guy is just completely ruining experience for almost every player.

It's just another example (and motivation for CDT, i hope) that separation of best players and worst should be top priority now. It was the biggest fail when NS2 started and still (practically) nothing was done to solve it. You won't keep more players around until this issue exist.

At least some of us are very aware of the issue.

After watching this video

you will realize that NS2 is basically stuck in the situation mentioned at 2:30 (with view on public games)

But don't ask me how to solve this situation we are in basically for 2 years now :D
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    I've also noticed when you get hammerd quite a bit and then i last second you get away and round a corner then suddenly you die i think it got something with how the damage lags. Explaining a bit better evryone have had that moment when you are so close to die but you succed in last second to get in to a gorge tunnel then you live for half a second and then you die. Can anyone relate? Or is it just me.
    amoral wrote: »
    Nordic wrote: »

In normal cases I would perfectly agree with you but I have spectated this player for some time now and I would say 70% of the time his positioning is terrible and he rarely lanes, any half decent player knows positioning and laning is what separates the men from the boys in terms of comp play.

When you see a player who shows extraordinary skill aswell as handicapping himself as much as possible well....until then innocent until proven guilty.