More Torpedoes?

BIPPITYBIPPITY England Join Date: 2015-06-06 Member: 205283Members
there must be a reason for the fabricator to have a whole section for one type of torpedo, the only logical explanation I can think of is that more types of torpedo will be added in the future, perhaps Stasis Torpedoes which I've seen spoken about before.

lyubc8v7c1oi.png

Comments

• crane476crane476 United States, Tx Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206850Members
    Its only because the devs decided to make torpedoes re-loadable instead of you having an infinite amount and firing them costing energy (How they initially were in experimental). Right now it doesn't look like they're planning different types of torpedoes.
  • BIPPITYBIPPITY England Join Date: 2015-06-06 Member: 205283Members
    crane476 wrote: »
    Its only because the devs decided to make torpedoes re-loadable instead of you having an infinite amount and firing them costing energy (How they initially were in experimental). Right now it doesn't look like they're planning different types of torpedoes.

GODDAMIT
    BIPPITY wrote: »

GODDAMIT

wait... no i mean there is a section called Seamoth Torpedoes in the fabricator that you open, surely if they weren't planning more torpedoes they would just be readily available rather than having a whole section for one type of torpedo.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members

GODDAMIT

wait... no i mean there is a section called Seamoth Torpedoes in the fabricator that you open, surely if they weren't planning more torpedoes they would just be readily available rather than having a whole section for one type of torpedo.

Makes sense. It would be in the section with the other upgrades.
  • tarektarek lebanon Join Date: 2015-04-10 Member: 203241Members
    NICE

yes i already made a thread about this a long time ago

1- warhead torpedo, goes boom
    2-flare torpedo, illuminates a large area for a while
    3-static torpedo, stuns huge creatures for a very long time
    4-Plasma torpedo, does massive damage to large creatures minimal collateral damage
    5-Bio seeking torpedo, goes boom but this baby follows hostile creatures
    6-laser guided torpedo, a torpedo that locks on targets and then follows them
    7-cluster torpedo, wide area effect kills smaller creatures with ease

:D
    tarek wrote: »
    NICE

4-Plasma torpedo, does massive damage to large creatures minimal collateral damage

Yeah about that, they are going for the full on less than lethal approach so torpedoes that kill, not going to happen.
  • The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
    NICE

Yeah about that, they are going for the full on less than lethal approach so torpedoes that kill, not going to happen.

How many times am I going to have to say this? Things change. The "full on less than lethal" approach is not only unlikely to stay throughout the development, but it's illogical anyways. Let me give you a scenario. If you're attacked by a shark, do you:
    A. Allow yourself to be torn apart
    B. Inform the shark that he should GTFO with a knife
    I don't know about you, but I'm not the person who just sits there and allows myself to die. If I'm going to get killed by a Reaper, then I'll make sure as all hell that he pays for it.
  • The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
    edited September 2015

Good point. That's like building an entire prison to house one inmate or something. It just doesn't make sense to make an entire category for one item.

I posted somewhere else about some ideas for torpedoes I had. While I doubt that everything will remain permanently non-lethal, only one of the seven or something ideas actually causes any lasting damage, and even then it's not much. Here, I found the list, I just reduced it to the torpedoes:
    • "Goliath" torpedo tube, Sound-Amplifying Nitroglycerin-Ignition Knockout (SANIK) Warheads
      Role: Goliath SANIK Warheads will stun anything up to adult-Reefback size within 10 meters, causing them to freeze. Doesn't work like the stasis rifle, however, as the entity is knocked unconscious. They will switch to a ragdoll-like state and start to sink as if killed. The stun duration is from ten seconds (Reapers and adult Reefbacks) to two and a half minutes (Peepers and such). After the duration expires, they will wake up, and resume as usual.
      Materials: 1 Plasteel Ingot, 1 Advanced Wiring Kit, 1 Computer Chip, 2 Titanium, 4 Enameled Glass, 8 Acid Mushrooms
    • "Goliath" torpedo tube, Cleave Warheads
      Role: Detonates on contact, causing roughly 25x the damage of a single knife strike to anything within a 25-meter radius.
      Materials: 1 Plasteel Ingot, 1 Advanced Wiring Kit, 1 Computer Chip, 2 Titanium, 4 Enameled Glass, 4 Crash Powder, 8 Acid Mushrooms
    • "Goliath" torpedo tube, Chronus Warheads
      Role: Distorts the space-time continuum by dropping anything within about 25 meters out of time. This doesn't work like the stasis rifle, stopping them in time so you can knife them. It will actually cause whatever is hit to disappear, then reappear in the same spot and position one minute later.
      Materials: 1 Plasteel Ingot, 5 Advanced Wiring Kits, 1 Computer Chip, 2 Titanium, 4 Enameled Glass, 4 Gold
    • "Goliath" torpedo tube, Vibro Warheads
      Role: Acts as an omnidirectional repulsion cannon. Any creatures of juvenile Reefback size or smaller within 50 meters will be launched away from the hypocenter of the detonation at 50 meters per second.
      Materials: 1 Plasteel Ingot, 1 Advanced Wiring Kit, 1 Computer Chip, 2 Titanium, 4 Enameled Glass, 2 Airsacks, 4 Wiring Kits
    • "Goliath" torpedo tube, Mole Warheads
      Role: Mole Warheads are designed for tunneling. The torpedo will proceed in a straight line until it hits land. At this point, it will burrow at the same speed through the ground for 100 meters, leaving a tunnel 5 meters in diameter. After 100 meters of burrowing, it will detonate, creating a spherical cavern 25 meters in diameter.
      Materials: 1 Plasteel Ingot, 1 Advanced Wiring Kit, 1 Computer Chip, 10 Titanium, 4 Enameled Glass, 2 Crash Powder
    • "Minnow" torpedo bay, SANIK Warheads
      Role: Acts the same as the Goliath variant, but with reduced ability. Blast radius is 5 meters, max target size is Stalker-size, and a stun from 5 to 30 seconds.
      Materials: 1 Lithium, 2 Advanced Wiring Kits, 1 Computer Chip, 8 Titanium, 1 Enameled Glass, 4 Acid Mushrooms
    • "Minnow" torpedo bay, Cleave Warheads
      Role: Detonation on impact does 10x knife-strike damage in a 15-meter radius.
      Materials: 1 Lithium, 2 Advanced Wiring Kits, 1 Computer Chip, 8 Titanium, 1 Enameled Glass, 2 Crash Powder, 4 Acid Mushrooms
    • "Minnow" torpedo bay, Chronus Warheads
      Role: Reduced blast radius to 15 meters, and a reduced timer to 15 seconds from the Goliath variant.
      Materials: 1 Lithium, 4 Advanced Wiring Kits, 1 Computer Chip, 8 Titanium, 1 Enameled Glass, 2 Gold
    • "Minnow" torpedo bay, Vibro Warheads
      Role: Blast radius of 25 meters, max target size is Stalker size, speed is 25 meters per second.
      Materials: 1 Lithium, 2 Advanced Wiring Kits, 1 Computer Chip, 8 Titanium, 1 Enameled Glass, 1 Airsack, 2 Wiring Kits
    • "Minnow" torpedo bay, Mole Warheads
      Role: Identical to the Goliath Mole Warheads. However, the tunnel will be 50 meters long and 3 meters wide, with the cavern at the end being 10 meters in diameter.
      Materials: 1 Lithium, 2 Advanced Wiring Kits, 1 Computer Chip, 12 Titanium, 1 Enameled Glass, 1 Crash Powder
    • "Minnow" torpedo bay, Swarm Warheads
      Role: Swarm Warheads are very basic compared to many other things, even in modern day. They will release a small group of 10-15 glowing rods of metal, attracting the attention of any curious creatures (definitely Stalkers, maybe Reefbacks, Reapers, Peepers, and so on). These rods will fly up to 30 meters in any given direction, with no particular pattern to the distribution. They will then sink like normal items, and dissolve on contact with the seafloor. If a Stalker attacks the rods, then it will lose teeth as if it were scrap metal.
      Materials: 1 Lithium, 2 Advanced Wiring Kits, 1 Computer Chip, 8 Titanium, 1 Enameled Glass, 2 Titanium Ingots, 4 Airsacks
    • "Minnow" torpedo bay, ILLUMA Warheads
      Role: Works as a mobile flare. Will illuminate a 25-meter-radius sphere around itself until it hits something. It will then stick to whatever it hit, giving off a reduced-radius (5-meter) sphere for 30 minutes before dying out and despawning. Useful for tagging potential threats, so you can see them from a long way off because of the telltale glow.
      Materials: 1 Lithium, 2 Advanced Wiring Kits, 1 Computer Chip, 8 Titanium, 1 Enameled Glass, 1 Flare
    once modding is up things will explode accept this :D
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    >Still expecting modding to be a thing

Don't get your hope sup m8
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    The singularity torpedo that swallows every creature it hits in case you ever see this:

FCE95AD44C84119E2358E4A83534B7619C69CCFB

Because this doom of the depths (probably bathing inside lava) gets only tickled by normal torpedos and seems to enjoy a nuclear warhead snack.

Recipe:
    Plasteel Bar, Trilithium, Dark Matter Core and Nanite Wiring System

Warning:
    Please stay outside a 100m radius to avoid getting sucked inside.
  • MarutMarut nonya-buzniz Join Date: 2015-09-10 Member: 207866Members
    The_Shark wrote: »
    NICE

How many times am I going to have to say this? Things change. The "full on less than lethal" approach is not only unlikely to stay throughout the development, but it's illogical anyways. Let me give you a scenario. If you're attacked by a shark, do you:
    A. Allow yourself to be torn apart
    B. Inform the shark that he should GTFO with a knife
    I don't know about you, but I'm not the person who just sits there and allows myself to die. If I'm going to get killed by a Reaper, then I'll make sure as all hell that he pays for it.

Obviously (almost) anyone would go for B, provided they HAVE a knife. Now you might want to blast that sea dragon to kingdom come, but without the weaponry it ain't gonna happen.
  • RustyRangeRustyRange Join Date: 2015-09-14 Member: 207955Members
    >Crash Torpedoes that explode like a Crash
    >Flash Torpedoes that act as a temporary, stupid bright flare that blinds Bone Sharks and other deep sea predators
    >Chum Torpedoes that explode into a cloud of blood and fish chunks to attract predators
    >Dazzle Torpedoes to distract stalkers and bone sharks
    >Volt Torpedoes that explode into an electromagnetic field that stuns creatures and can provide a quick jolt to disabled vehicles.
    >Tracker Torpedoes that act as beacons and can stick to creatures.

Also Need to add Homing Torpedoes.
  • RustyRangeRustyRange Join Date: 2015-09-14 Member: 207955Members
    NICE

There better be a Torpedo Cannon on your Megaclops! :D
    RustyRange wrote: »
    >Flash Torpedoes that act as a temporary, stupid bright flare that blinds Bone Sharks and other deep sea predators
    >Chum Torpedoes that explode into a cloud of blood and fish chunks to attract predators
    >Volt Torpedoes that explode into an electromagnetic field that stuns creatures and can provide a quick jolt to disabled vehicles.

Also Need to add Homing Torpedoes.

Of course. Include a Computer Chip in with the recipe to make any torpedo homing.
    Homing Crash torpedoes, homing Chum torpedoes
    Homing Tracker Torpedoes would be especially useful for tagging quick moving Reapers.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    If the devs like non lethal weapons that much, here is another one:

The illumination torpedo

He attracts all fauna, but only in the night, as he illuminates the darkness only. Useless in daylight or near the surface. Most fish follow him quite a while if it's dark. Attached with a guidance module the torpedo can serve as a light source in the darkness guiding the sub ahead of its course. Can be recollected if not destroyed.
  • LumpNLumpN Join Date: 2002-10-30 Member: 1725Members, Subnautica Developer

This is why I love our community. Thank you for these great suggestions.
    LumpN wrote: »

This is why I love our community. Thank you for these great suggestions.

[Effeminate Squeeeeeeeeeee]