Uses for the the cyclops?

Golden_LeekGolden_Leek Join Date: 2015-06-22 Member: 205675Members
I don't know what everyone else thinks, but personally I feel that the cyclops is pretty useless.
What do you think could be added to the submarine.

Comments

• RedArremerRedArremer San Marino Join Date: 2015-09-14 Member: 207945Members
    Well obviously more upgrades are going to come eventually. I like it very much as a mobile base.
  • CordeosCordeos Join Date: 2015-08-19 Member: 207293Members
    Mobile base and anti-shark ram are the primary ways I use it.
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    I don't even use it anymore. It's not worth the materials and spawning it in is boring. It's too slow, turns poorly, basically the only use for it was to charge the Seamoth, and that became obsolete after the moonpool arrived
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    It needs autopilot like the prototype version. Being able to do other things while it drives towards its destination would help a lot.
  • Warpig1331Warpig1331 Ohio Join Date: 2015-09-14 Member: 207951Members
    RedArremer wrote: »
    Well obviously more upgrades are going to come eventually. I like it very much as a mobile base.

This is going to happen for sure. But what are some ideas we can come up with that we would like to see added? I like the auto pilot idea and have had the same idea for even swimming like a auto-run key.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    Auto-pilot is a must.

Replacements for the Seamoth Dock would be cool, like another Room, or a Torpedo Turret
  • Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members
    I think in the future the cyclops will be of more use the deeper the ocean gets. Currently there is really no use in diving below ~600 but as soon as we talk 1200 or more the cyclops could come in pretty handy (with future hull reinforcemnt modules of course)
  • TheGuru143TheGuru143 U.S. Join Date: 2015-09-07 Member: 207801Members
    If they keep adding more above water land masses, I can see where having a periscope, or even better a drone cam that you can deploy and see above water as you travel, would be a nice addition
  • LinfomaLinfoma Portugal Join Date: 2015-09-07 Member: 207791Members
    i disagree whit you, cyclops is still usefull for farming, mine at this time has 14 big locker and i can still put 6 more if i wanted...for long farming trips its still very usefull...seamoth is good to go on rapid farms above 200 more than that u have to take the lockers out so not very good...just last night i took my cyclops filled a locker whit food , water and power cells and just went for a mega farmming trip 14 big locker full of stuff....took me an hour to unload it all...latter today i can start to build my super base whit all the mats i got ;)
  • ReefseekerReefseeker Finland Join Date: 2015-05-21 Member: 204740Members
    Yep. It's a great vehicle if you like to gather large loads of materials. I usually scout ahead with the Seamoth for a place with a lot of materials I need, place a beacon, and then bring the Cyclops in with lots of big lockers in it.

For exploration though, it's still the Seamoth for me, especially now with the upgrades.

If i could build charging points around the map that derive their energy from already existing base power sources (solar, thermal, nuclear, bio) I would use the Cyclops way more, for exploration too.
  • LinfomaLinfoma Portugal Join Date: 2015-09-07 Member: 207791Members
    edited September 2015
    Reefseeker wrote: »
    Yep. It's a great vehicle if you like to gather large loads of materials. I usually scout ahead with the Seamoth for a place with a lot of materials I need, place a beacon, and then bring the Cyclops in with lots of big lockers in it.

For exploration though, it's still the Seamoth for me, especially now with the upgrades.

If i could build charging points around the map that derive their energy from already existing base power sources (solar, thermal, nuclear, bio) I would use the Cyclops way more, for exploration too.

yes last night i hade to spend some time farming and making power cells for the long trip...the other day i got lost in the lava tunnels( i think it was) and it took me a wile to find the way out almoust got stranded whit no power cells...

i do the same as you, seamoth to scout leave a beacon and come back whit the cyclops to farm...only take the seamoth to farm small loads near the base.

normaly i take my cyclops whit a full locker of food one of water and some power cells...for long farming trips and only come back when all 16 lockers are full....ehehe
  • ZourinZourin White Castle Join Date: 2015-02-27 Member: 201577Members
    edited September 2015
    Cyclops is pretty bad right now. The power efficiency module only affects movement, so crafting on it is a waste of power. Even if you only craft for "emergencies", it relegates the cyclops to a glorified hauler.

And it's simply not needed. There's no reason to go deep for very long for much, since the endgame is still tied by the nuts to shallows materials: Copper, Coral, Titanium, and Quartz.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    Maybe it will be useful if bigger predators appear?

FCE95AD44C84119E2358E4A83534B7619C69CCFB

On the other side this thing looks like it could punch holes into the cyclops hull and tear it apart. At least it should do so with the seamoth if it is ever unlucky enough to get close or the devs don't have mercy and shrink this crab.
  • DeepoDeepo lisbon portugal Join Date: 2014-12-20 Member: 200150Members
    the game could need a much bigger map to make the Cyclops really useful. the cyclops is the most awesome thing ever but it´s also like a duck in the bathtub. still hope they will increase map-size in the future.
  • treehuggerpersontreehuggerperson Somewhere Join Date: 2015-04-09 Member: 203190Members
    It will be useful for the exosuit
  • TheGuru143TheGuru143 U.S. Join Date: 2015-09-07 Member: 207801Members
    Sheesh, that crab thing is so big that if you were swimming or in the Seamoth you may mistake it for part of the landscape...until it moved, lol. Gonna be fun!
  • mmintomminto Los Angeles Join Date: 2015-09-18 Member: 208012Members
    Warpig1331 wrote: »
    RedArremer wrote: »

This is going to happen for sure. But what are some ideas we can come up with that we would like to see added? I like the auto pilot idea and have had the same idea for even swimming like a auto-run key.

Specific Upgrade that I'd love to see on the Cyclops"

-SOLAR CHARGING or NUCLEAR REACTOR POWER - something sustainable, where once we get to a certain point, we won't be bothered with the triviality of providing power cells.

-SONAR - If the seamoth has it... In fact, everything the seamoth has ought to be allowable for the cyclops.

-MORE UPGRADE SLOTS - I think if the player is successful enough they ought to be allowed to have their cake and eat it too. Meaning, any and ALL upgrades should be allowed to be maxed out simultaneously for a given submarine. (or even suit, there is no reason one can't have a REBREATHER and a RADIATION HELMET or ULTRAGLIDE CHARGING FINS. These things should all be more demanding but still.

-MORE WINDOWS - While this should require advanced resources and materials it should be allowable.

-WEAPONS and DEFENSE - As mentioned, anything the seamoth has, the cyclops should also have and MORE. Otherwise what's the point of lugging it around the world.

-DOCKING STATION - Eventually formally docking the cyclops to a master base would be amazing.

-RESOURCE ID - something like Sonar that can identify resources by color or shape.

-CHARGING STATIONS - For every single weapon and handheld device. If the Cyclops can charge a seamoth, then it should charge our various hand held items.

I'm sure I can think of more, thanks for your time! Loving the game so far!
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    Yes to all of this. Plus there was one minor problem I had with the development on the Seamoth Update. That was the metal, Lithium, and Fragment sensors. While they were nice ideas in practice they were quite useless since they didn't show where the material was. If they do get added again I want them to work with the Sonar module. Have the material appear when you scan and its location will appear on screen.
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    I use the Cyclops as a mobile base where I store all my stuff and travel to the deeper parts. I just wish it didn't drink the power so quickly. Seems like you don't have to travel far before all 6 power cells are gone. :disappointed:
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    edited September 2015
    Myrm wrote: »
    I use the Cyclops as a mobile base where I store all my stuff and travel to the deeper parts. I just wish it didn't drink the power so quickly. Seems like you don't have to travel far before all 6 power cells are gone. :disappointed:

That's why I use the seamoth extensively lately, but these features should be reserved for the cyclops:

- good power efficiency with dock or solar recharge
    - it's fast as hell and the main travel vehicle for far distances
    - it has a sonar vision to navigate the black depths
    - you can dock with your underwater base
    - it can dive with its nose down and navigate full 3D
    - it has torpedos and shock defense

The cyclops advantage right now and near future:

- moving cargo
    - soon to hold the exosuit
    - soon the only to reach the lava zone

EDIT: Maybe we get a cyclops update after h2o and farming.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    I still want a Torpedo Turret.

Have it automatically load from Torpedoes stored in a special locker, and be able to be controlled remotely from the bridge.
  • paradineparadine usa Join Date: 2015-09-18 Member: 208004Members
    I could think of a hundred or so uses if they (a) had another 4 upgrade slots on the other side of the engine, (b) had a way to recharge it, and (c) had a bunch more upgrades for it.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    Provide a way for the player to open up an area and have the Cyclops dock to the Aurora, so that it can power up some of the Aurora's systems - to further the plot, et. al.

For added effect, make the area around the Aurora emit RF (or some such) that makes the Seamoth and any base tech not work properly.
  • paradineparadine usa Join Date: 2015-09-18 Member: 208004Members
    With us already welding the reactors in the Aurora and the fact that the lights are on it seems as though there is already power there. So we just need to be able to put out the fires and rebuild the Aurora.
  • McKabyMcKaby England Join Date: 2015-08-19 Member: 207291Members
    The Aurora could be running off battery power (as there are what could be massive batteries laying around) but we are unsure of how much fuel is left.

I know this isn't an M/ARA system for power, as that much anti-matter going up would have vaporised an area bigger than the map, but we don't know if it's a 2 part reaction to create enough power to go FTL
  • Thor11011Thor11011 southampton Join Date: 2015-09-24 Member: 208130Members
    I have seen a lot of complaints about the cyclops, but I find that it is really useful for gathering large amounts of materials.
    A mobile base of sorts, power is a bit of an issue yes, but personally I haven't had too much trouble gathering the resources needed to make the power cells, I did have some trouble getting quartz after I cleared out the starting area of it, but after that I found some lovely areas about 200m deep that are absolutely full of quartz, diamond and aluminium oxide.

Without the cyclops I would have serious trouble gathering large amounts of resources.
  • Dragonpoo7Dragonpoo7 USA Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208135Members
    I use my Cyclops as my main base until they add more features to base building. Like others before me posted, I have it full of lockers and just use my seamoth to explore, returning to the Cyclops when my inventory is full. What I would love to see is;

A navigation panel with an auto mapper and auto pilot.
    Speed upgrades
    A solar power option like the seamoth
    A weapons system and defense shield
    A captain’s quarters where we can sleep through the night.

Just my own two cents. Love this game and cannot wait to see where it goes!