What should be added in sea bases?

Justin599MJustin599M NV Join Date: 2015-09-11 Member: 207881Members
Some ideas are tubes that let you move from one side to another quickly, moving parts to move parts of you seabase such as a moonpool to make it more compact but have move when you need to get in or out

Comments

• MarutMarut nonya-buzniz Join Date: 2015-09-10 Member: 207866Members
    Decorative furniture other than the aquarium
  • AquatarkusAquatarkus RI-USA Join Date: 2015-08-02 Member: 206674Members
    Base Construction
    ~Y Corridor - Standard Corridor that splits into two adjacent corridors facing the same direction.
    ~Square Rooms - Large rooms about the size of the Moonpool.
    ~Stair/Ramp Corridors - Diagonal Corridors that go up 1 Corridor's height.
    ~Glass Dome - Transparent roof for round Rooms to view ocean above the room
    ~Combinable Rooms - Modular rooms that combine with adjacent Combinable Rooms to make larger structures.

Yep...I like all these.

I made similar mention of a ramp/stair corridor in another post. So I second the motion.
    The only thing i would add is 45 degree elbow tubes (in that same prior post).
    Right now there are only 90 degree ones.

...see also the recent post for a Cyclops Docking Collar for the habitats

• CMonster0125CMonster0125 United States Join Date: 2015-09-09 Member: 207850Members
    edited September 2015
    External Modules
    Outdoor lights
    • Lights that attach to outer base walls (like the solar panels)
    • Powered light posts that can be placed on platforms or on rock/sand
    • Option to change color of the lights (either all or individual)
  • tarektarek lebanon Join Date: 2015-04-10 Member: 203241Members
  • DRxShockzDRxShockz US Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206879Members
    edited September 2015
    *Flexes idea muscles*

Oh boy where to start

Mess Hall
    ~Counter Tops - Wall/floor mounted surfaces that you can place items on for display. Put your extra diamonds or quartz on display to snazz up your room. Put your Fragment Analyzer on top to get it off the floor. Countertops would automatically snap to adjacent counters for a solid, consistent row of counters.

~Refrigerator - Wall mounted storage for food and water to keep it fresh for longer. Same storage as a Small Locker. Automatically turns on when food is put in, and constantly drains a tiny amount of power. Automatically turns off when there's no more food inside. Must be researched from a fragment found in the Safe Shallows.

~Cooker - Floor or Countertop mounted machine, about the size of a Fragment Analyzer, that can cook and prepare meals from raw food. replaces the Fabricator as the producer of cooked and cured food. Uses power similar to the Fabricator. Must be researched from a fragment found in the Safe Shallows.

~Hydroponics Farm - Round tube like tank to grow edible plants.

~Mess Hall Table - Flat surface with two benches to sit down and eat at. Provides small bonuses to Food when eating at a Table.

~Desalinator - Wall mounted Desalinator that makes seawater drinkable. Requires Empty Bottles, which must be found in the world, such as on the Aurora. (Drinking water from bottles would leave the player with an empty or dirty bottle. Dirty bottles would need to be cleaned with bleach before becoming usable.)

Storage/Factory
    ~Defabricator - Can break down components and items into raw materials. Would be great for Titanium Ingots, allowing them act as compact storage for Titanium. The Defabricator would have a built in 2x5 storage unit below it that would hold excess materials if the player couldn't hold all the broken down bits.

~Foreman Interface - Wall mounted terminal that keeps a list of all nearby storage containers and their inventories.

~Advanced Locker - Locker that connects to nearby lockers to pool inventory.

~Advanced Fabricator - Larger Fabricator that can queue multiple items to construct, as well as take inventory from nearby Advanced Lockers.

Sleeping Quarters/Sick Bay
    ~Bed - Large comfy bed to pass time from night to day and vice versa. Would not use power.

~Medi-Bed - Large high tech bed that can also restore your health as you sleep. Uses power relative to amount of HP restored. Must be researched from a fragment found in Kelp Forests.

~First Aid Cabinet - Small, wall mounted 3x3 cabinet for holding Medkits. Same as the one in the Lifepod.

Laboratory
    ~Database Terminal - Catalogues discovered species and blueprints in an encyclopedia type format.

~Wall Charger - Small, 4x4 locker for tools, recharging them quickly from the Base's power.

~Periscope - Telescope that can extend 10 meters above the top of the corridor it's mounted to, and can zoom in on distant objects or creatures.

~Sensor Module - Long range sensors that mount to the top of the room or corridor and can scan for nearby predators, or places/objects of interest like the entrance to the Inactive Lava Zone, or the Floater Island. Sensors detect creatures passively, but scanning for land forms takes a bit of energy.

~Map Table - 3D hologram map table that maps out the general area of where you've been, with different biomes in different colors. Player can click and zoom in on areas similar to using the color panel on the Cyclops or Seamoth.

Maintenance/Engineering
    ~Maintenance Interface - Wall mounted terminal that provides a 3D map of the Base, power supply, hull integrity, with damaged or flooded sections highlighted.

~Wall Light - Lights that the player can change the color, brightness, and strobe of to provide mood lighting to the interior of bases.

~Pump Station - Increases speed of pumping out water in the event of a hull breach.

Base Construction
    ~Y Corridor - Standard Corridor that splits into two adjacent corridors facing the same direction.

~Square Rooms - Large rooms about the size of the Moonpool.

~Stair/Ramp Corridors - Diagonal Corridors that go up 1 Corridor's height.

~Exosuit Bay - Special hangar for storing and customizing the Exosuit.

~Glass Dome - Transparent roof for round Rooms to view ocean above the room

~Combinable Rooms - Modular rooms that combine with adjacent Combinable Rooms to make larger structures.

External Modules
    ~Straight/Center/L/T/X Catwalk - Flat catwalk for surface bases that attaches to the tops of Corridors or Foundations.

~External Ladder - Ladder that attaches to the edges of catwalks or foundations to allow the player to climb up onto the platform.

~Turret Mount - Stand for a Stasis Rifle, Repulsion Cannon, Torpedo Launcher, Harpoon etc that uses the SeaBase's energy. Attaches to the tops of Corridors and onto catwalks and Foundations.

~Structure Support Beam - Solid Titanium Beams for reinforcing a Seabase. Click once on a part of a base to start the support beam, then click on another part of the base, or on the terrain to create a support beam between the two points. Use the mouse wheel to cycle through beam thickness. Thickness and length of the beam affects Titanium cost.

I love all of these ideas, i could not say them better my self, but on top of the structure support beam i think they should add it to the inside that runs across the ceiling making an X with a support beam running from the floor to the intersecting beams. also if anyone played COD Black Ops 1 i think for the underwater farm they should add something like the bio-dome (smaller of course). one more thing, the maintenance interface panel should be a big TV screen and tells you where the power is coming from and for solar panels, tells the sun % and how much is charged. also having emergency flood gates would be cool(when a part of base floods it would close off the area until fixed) and can fix from outside.
  • GryphorimGryphorim South of the Reef Join Date: 2015-09-10 Member: 207864Members
    04Leonhardt, i like all your suggestions, but have slightly different takes on a few of the listed ideas:

Hydroponics farm- I see this as a dedicated room, perhaps moonpool size, with numerous plots for growing various things.

Desalinator- Process described seems like a more complex system to what we have now, how about a unit that completely refills hydration for more efficient use of bleach, (I think that it should use bleach and power.) Downside, it is a fixed unit and does not create storable water sources.

Adv fabricator- it has storage built in, and is fitted to a wall like a bulkhead, and can draw only from itself or from adv storage lockers if fitted to adjacent walls. (adv lockers having similar build restrictions.) Typical storage for fabricator wall = 2 full size lockers, adv storage locker = 3 full lockers. = Maybe more. This set-up in a standard room could fit an adv fabricator, drawing from its own storage and 6 adv lockers in the room.
    ---- Reasoning is that this implies some means of tranferring materials between lockers and fab, instead of magically drawing from stores elsewhere in base. ----

Periscope- I don't understand the usefulness of this, sorry.

Sensor module- structure version of seamoth sonar module.

Map Table- combines all taken sonar maps, structural and Seamoth.

Combineable rooms- Problem here is an increasingly large unsupported structure under pressure.

These are just alternate ideas,

Finally, I'm all for a cyclops berth as well, I see this as a set of arms that clamp to the bow of the cyclops, moving it over the docking hatch. It'd by the player's responsibility to ensure the berth area is clear of obstructions.

• paradineparadine usa Join Date: 2015-09-18 Member: 208004Members
    1 thing I would add is an automated perimeter defense turret (works like a combo of the Sea Moth perimeter defense and he stasis rifle in that it shoots a cone of electrical energy in one direction) if set at or below 50% it will stun/scare up to a stalker or sand shark (whichever is bigger and harder to scare off), if set between 51% and 75% it will scare off a reaper and kill anything smaller, if set at or above 76% it will stun a reaper (knock out) for up to 15 seconds, and if you use 2 or more at 90% or higher it can kill a reaper. The turret would have a built in friend foe system to prevent it from shooting you.
  • GryphorimGryphorim South of the Reef Join Date: 2015-09-10 Member: 207864Members
    If we are discussing defences, I'd suggest some sort of sonic projector, that has a cone of effect, and causes struck creatures to flinch and flee.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    A Current Generator Turret could blow away any creature that gets near with a gravity powered water jet.
    My turret Idea could also just "shoot" a sort of spear that discharges the E-pulse once it gets close to the monster it was aiming at (less than 5m).
  • RayuneRayune Texas Join Date: 2015-09-21 Member: 208069Members
    edited September 2015
    How about a recipe for integrating diamond into bulkheads/foundations/reinforcements so that you can build larger bases without having to devote as much titanium to hull integrity?

That way, you can keep the integrity up without detracting from your ability to build a larger base (not that titanium is in short supply, but there's currently not much use for diamond). Alternatively, materials that will be implemented for Seamoth/Cyclops depth (like reefback DNA) could also be applied for hull integrity.

Also, it would be nice to have a way to mine quartz from sand. To prevent abuse, it could require materials from lower depths. So as not to add sand as an inventory item (and all of the inherent problems that this would cause), it could be something that must be placed on sand, possibly even next to a thermal vent. After all, you expose sand to high temperatures to make glass, so you could circumvent the problem of the lack of quartz for making beautiful bases by something like this. Titanium is fine and all, but glass bases just look BETTER.

Rooms of different shapes would be nice. I appreciate the observation area, but how about a larger room, a dome, etc.?

And hydroponic farming. Definitely. Not playing on survival mode until something like this is in place so that I don't have to spend all of my time hunting food.
    I like the idea of a glass dome that can be mounted to the roof or floor of the big rooms. Then we can see what is around us. Also I was wondering why we can't place a hatch in the middle of the floor of the big rooms.
    +1 for glass roof/floor on rooms. There's even concept art.
    The glass could even follow (use) the current roof/floor shape to save the devs some time. It would need to use 6 glass and 4 titanium (for the support beams) to be built. It would also reduce the integrity by 14 to keep balance.
  • MarutMarut nonya-buzniz Join Date: 2015-09-10 Member: 207866Members
    edited September 2015
    Should extensive decorating of the sea base also cost hull integrity? Or would that be nothing but a pain?

Edit: Also rolling for being able to flood certain parts of your base (so as to serve as an aquarium or whatever).
  • Kevin035Kevin035 Soesterberg Join Date: 2015-09-22 Member: 208088Members
    Love this idea! Especially now that ladders have been given the ability to be placed on the four outer tile in rooms, the technical freedom to make stairs like this seems possible.
  • Seamothwizard44Seamothwizard44 Join Date: 2015-09-17 Member: 207995Members
    Mabye if you could add such a corridor you could have a C.C.T.V interface to keep track of breaches in places where you don't know they are
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    edited September 2015
    Mabye if you could add such a corridor you could have a C.C.T.V interface to keep track of breaches in places where you don't know they are

>Having 1980's security systems on our 22nd century alien planet habitat

How about instead of that we have an interface with a 3D model of the Base with hull breaches and flooding highlighted.
  • SojoSojo Florida, USA Join Date: 2015-09-20 Member: 208061Members
    ~Refrigerator - Wall mounted storage for food and water to keep it fresh for longer. Same storage as a Small Locker. Automatically turns on when food is put in, and constantly drains a tiny amount of power. Automatically turns off when there's no more food inside. Must be researched from a fragment found in the Safe Shallows.

~Cooker - Floor or Countertop mounted machine, about the size of a Fragment Analyzer, that can cook and prepare meals from raw food. replaces the Fabricator as the producer of cooked and cured food. Uses power similar to the Fabricator. Must be researched from a fragment found in the Safe Shallows.

I don't really see the need for these as we can already store live fish in aquariums (ignoring that they don't die yet in our inventory or lockers, etc); cured fish in normal storage; and since the fabricator is almost a Star Trek style replicator, I think it's fine that it can also cook food. That said, if the life pod also came with a cooker or if we had to eat raw food until we could build one, I would be fine with the fabricator not being able to cook food. Afterall, 3D printing something at the atomic scale isn't the same thing as cooking something.
    ~Desalinator - Wall mounted Desalinator that makes seawater drinkable. Requires Empty Bottles, which must be found in the world, such as on the Aurora. (Drinking water from bottles would leave the player with an empty or dirty bottle. Dirty bottles would need to be cleaned with bleach before becoming usable.)

I agree that we should have the ability to desalinate seawater, but not in this way. The fabricator is basically a 3D printer that works on the atomic scale, which is why it can turn raw copper ore into copper wire and quartz into silicone, etc. Therefore, simply removing salt molecules from seawater should be child's play for it. For the cost of energy we should be able to make all the drinking water we want from it. Perhaps adding containers like bottles would be the balance so we could stockpile said water and take it with us around the map. I would be OK if we had a dedicated desalinator unit though, it is just ludicrous that it would involves airsacks or bleach. Airsacks, as their name implies, should give us some O2 when eaten raw (would be great in caves, etc) not turn into water (which the fabricator would be able to do with any plant or animal as they are mostly water. Bleach makes sense in making medkits and could probably we used for other things, but makes no sense for disinfecting our water since the fabricator should be perfectly capable of disinfecting anything as it can just remove the offending molecules. Besides, even if we use bleach to disinfect seawater...it is still salt water...
    ~Defabricator - Can break down components and items into raw materials. Would be great for Titanium Ingots, allowing them act as compact storage for Titanium. The Defabricator would have a built in 2x5 storage unit below it that would hold excess materials if the player couldn't hold all the broken down bits.

I would be fine with a separate unit, but the fabricator can already do this with salvage, so it should also be able to do it with useless surplus fragments, etc. If we had a separate unit for recycling, it should be required for the salvage too or its inconsistent.
    ~Advanced Fabricator - Larger Fabricator that can queue multiple items to construct, as well as take inventory from nearby Advanced Lockers.

Couldn't agree more in the need for this except the part about it pulling from your storage, that is another thing entirely I think. I would call it a Mass or Industrial Fabricator and it should be much bigger and not be wall mountable. Come home, through 30 quartz in it, and go do something else while it turns all that into glass...awesome.
    ~Pump Station - Increases speed of pumping out water in the event of a hull breach.

I don't think this should increase the speed of pumping, I think these should be required to pump out water from the start. I don't like how even a "base" of only a single corridor magically starts with its own hidden pump and computer core that automates it. We should start without any pumping, then you build these for that function. The more you add to your base the faster it can pump water out, but the more power it takes, and you have to activate them manually until you install a computer core that adds the base AI that handles it and other functions for you. Though it wouldn't be terrible if they detected water in your base and pumped it out automatically.
    ~Structure Support Beam - Solid Titanium Beams for reinforcing a Seabase. Click once on a part of a base to start the support beam, then click on another part of the base, or on the terrain to create a support beam between the two points. Use the mouse wheel to cycle through beam thickness. Thickness and length of the beam affects Titanium cost.

We badly need some sort of support beam for things like a long stretch of corridor that just magically floats without support as if there is no gravity under water. Such a structure should snap off your base and start a big breach. This could simply be a kind of vertical foundation you attack to the underside of tubes. It would also look so much better.

Overall, awesome ideas! We'ld be very lucky if we even get a quarter of these one day. I would particularly love the roof and floor windows, maybe even a roof or floor Observatory that you had to use a ladder to enter, and both horizontal and vertical lifts of some sort. How cool would it be to build a glass tube to another biome and take a subway-like car down that tube to reach the other side!
    The main idea behind the Defab unit was that Titanium ingots could be used to store 10x Titanium in a 1 square space.
    edited September 2015

These were an idea i was initially dismissive of, but I think there's something to this. I imagine these as place-able anchor points on foundations or base modules, perhaps snapping to halfway between top and side of corridors, and right above or below windows on a room. I imagine multiple anchors on a base being able to share a terrain anchor and vice-versa.
    Finally, I imagine any instance of the terrain anchor being above the base attach point would create a suspension cable instead of a compressive-load strut.
    Gryphorim wrote: »

These were an idea i was initially dismissive of, but I think there's something to this. I imagine these as place-able anchor points on foundations or base modules, perhaps snapping to halfway between top and side of corridors, and right above or below windows on a room. I imagine multiple anchors on a base being able to share a terrain anchor and vice-versa.
    Finally, I imagine any instance of the terrain anchor being above the base attach point would create a suspension cable instead of a compressive-load strut.

While the beams would become the support we should also have cables to hold stuff that is floating outside. This would be most useful in holding the escape pod, mobile vehicle bay (found out you can pick it up if your on the ladder side and get the right part of the base), and the beacons (could be made bigger). The cables would also let us attach them from one item to another (like from the escape pod to one of the subs so we can tow it, or if we have 2 sea moths so we can have one docked in the cyclops then you can tow a second behind you [unless they plan on giving us the ability to add a second dock to the cyclops])
  • TIEbomber1967TIEbomber1967 California Join Date: 2015-09-23 Member: 208109Members
    I'd like a porch light.
    So when it's night time, I can see what's lurking just outside my base. It would make the night time view just a little nicer too.
    I also like Leonhardt's idea of a refrigerator and a medi-bed.
    they are working on a spotlight