Subnautica Seamoth Update Released - Subnautica

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond

imageSubnautica Seamoth Update Released - Subnautica

A brand-spanking new Subnautica update has been released: Seamoth! It is available right now on Steam, and will automatically download to your Steam Library if you have Subnautica installed. The...

Read the full story here

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Bump to open comment thread
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Even less reason to build a cyclops.
    This is good. :P

The seamoth is my personal preferred means of transportation, and it receiving more love is only a good thing.
  • CrawlinChaosCrawlinChaos Pittsburgh, PA Join Date: 2015-06-05 Member: 205267Members
    edited September 2015
    You guys....are so freaking awesome!!! :D
    Seriously, that sonar module is like the coolest thing since sliced bread. I also like how you added two different forms of defense and both are nonlethal; its very refreshing to see that you are sticking to your guns about keeping things clean (an extremely rare thing in this day and age). And I really love that you can freely swap the modules out so that you can customize the Seamoth for different scenarios. Great work!
  • LinfomaLinfoma Portugal Join Date: 2015-09-07 Member: 207791Members
    first thing im going to do when i get home is put some torpedoes in my seamoth and go hunt that bastard reaper....mauahahahahahah
  • TizianTizian Berlin Join Date: 2015-09-10 Member: 207869Members
    Awesome! You guys rock. I hope in future updates the Cyclops will get some love too. Like a solar panel to recharge the batteries. Would be cool if I needed to rise to the water surface to have it work. That would bring a real "submarine-feeling". Keep up the good work!
  • ElavionElavion Poland Join Date: 2015-09-09 Member: 207844Members
    According to the update site, "The Seamoth is a one-person submersible with independent power systems. Originally designed for industrial mining operations". Why is there no mining-focused component, then? It would make resource hunting in certain biomes much less of a pain, especially with the new biter fish around.
  • ElavionElavion Poland Join Date: 2015-09-09 Member: 207844Members
    Linfoma wrote: »
    first thing im going to do when i get home is put some torpedoes in my seamoth and go hunt that bastard reaper....mauahahahahahah

They're not lethal, sorry :P
  • LinfomaLinfoma Portugal Join Date: 2015-09-07 Member: 207791Members
    edited September 2015
    Elavion wrote: »
    Linfoma wrote: »

They're not lethal, sorry :P

that doesnt mean i cant have some fun shooting torpedoes at him....because he already destroyed 3 of my seamoths....muahahahahah

that reminds me ...hope whit this update my zero hp seamoths go away it gets confusing to see the other seamoth beacons when i need to get to mine real fast.
  • AquatarkusAquatarkus RI-USA Join Date: 2015-08-02 Member: 206674Members
    Seamoth Upgrader did not work on a new game from scratch... (just an FYI)

I started a new game (Freedom), built a moon, powered it, built a seamoth, docked it, built an upgrade console.
    Went to upgrade depth, it would not finish building the upgrade in the builder.
    (Deleted and rebuilt the console, still never finishes.)
    Nothing i tried to build even finished. Turning cheats off did not help.

Saved the game, quit, launched the game, reloaded that save and all set.
    As if nothing was ever wrong.

Not sure if this constitutes a bug, I was cheating the whole time.
    nodamage,oxygen,nocost, fastbuild.
    Just though I post in case someone else runs into this and is using cheats.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Aquatarkus wrote: »
    I had the bug as well, but only when cheating. So I did not report it, as a result.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members

I started a new game (Freedom), built a moon, powered it, built a seamoth, docked it, built an upgrade console.

If you use console commands sometimes it's buggy. Especially the "Day" chest. Messes with the timing or something. I dunno.
  • crane476crane476 United States, Tx Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206850Members

This same thing happened to me last night. Granted, I was in experimental so I wasn't exactly surprised. After starting a new game I no longer encountered the bug.
  • crane476crane476 United States, Tx Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206850Members
    edited September 2015
    Elavion wrote: »
    According to the update site, "The Seamoth is a one-person submersible with independent power systems. Originally designed for industrial mining operations". Why is there no mining-focused component, then? It would make resource hunting in certain biomes much less of a pain, especially with the new biter fish around.

Drilling/mining is coming in a future update. The exosuit will be the main vehicle used for mining and drilling.
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    I am looking forward to playing the new update tomorrow when I get home.
  • ChimpXChimpX Join Date: 2015-07-25 Member: 206391Members
    edited September 2015
    Whoever came up with the Seamoth audio track deserves a Knighthood.

https://soundcloud.com/subnautica
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer

If you use console commands sometimes it's buggy. Especially the "Day" chest. Messes with the timing or something. I dunno.

04Leonhardt has the right of it. I ran into the same issue when I was taking screenshots for the update. It turns out that the "day", "night" or "daynightspeed 0" cheats basically stop time for a lot of things in game, including the fabricators. Setting those values back to false will fix it for you.

Given the cheats you have turned on, I definitely recommend checking out the new Creative Mode. You'll get the same freedom to build, but in a way that's likely more stable than using developer console commands.
  • AquatarkusAquatarkus RI-USA Join Date: 2015-08-02 Member: 206674Members
    Insane wrote: »
    Given the cheats you have turned on, I definitely recommend checking out the new Creative Mode. You'll get the same freedom to build, but in a way that's likely more stable than using developer console commands.

Creative usually is my preferred mode of play. I do like the cheats already turned on in that mode. No power or reinforcements needed.

But it depends on my mood. I find myself flipping back to a new game of freedom sometimes, so I can add and use the available power plant options when I make new bases. Hearing the voice confirmation, and seeing the available power confirmed in the HUD adds to the fun of successful base building. As well as, knowing if my base had the proper reinforcements...etc.

I will definitely keep the effects I just seen from using console commands in the back of my mind going forward. Thanks... :wink:
  • TheGuru143TheGuru143 U.S. Join Date: 2015-09-07 Member: 207801Members
    I had made and used the Seamoth's Power Defense module the other day and noticed it didn't really do anything.
    After this latest update, wow is that thing nice! I even went and frustrated the Reapers for a while. Every time he would grab me, just zap his ugly butt and he immediately drops you and swims away for a while.
    REVENGE!!!!! So sweet
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    edited September 2015
    Yeah the Electrical field is incredibly useful.

Though I noticed a couple things

1. It makes creatures run the hell away, possibly into other biomes.
    For example, I zapped two Sand Sharks in the Red Plains, they went running into the nearby Kelp Forest. Then they started hanging out there and eating the hoverfish.

2. It's a bit more deadly then I know some people here would have hoped. It can ragdoll a bone shark in 2 full charge blasts. Of course you have to be a mean bastard and chase them down after they run away, but it can definitely kill them.

3. Placeholder for the Arctic Biome is still just a placeholder. Though it doesn't really make sense for an ice sheet to be less than a mile from a tropical mountain island. Maybe it'l be expanded further away.

4. Still no news on the supposedly "Completed" Warper, yet.

5. It seems there are fewer Reapers in the water now, at least in Creative Mode. There is no longer one around the Mountain island, and I only saw one by the Aurora.
    Insane wrote: »

I like it because I can test out fighting creatures without any danger to myself.
    edited September 2015
    I like it because I can test out fighting creatures without any danger to myself.

With the new upgrades available to the Seamoth, I actually prefer Freedom mode. No water or food requirements, but a chance at dying. The thing is, with the Seamoth defense module and the new hull upgrade, you would almost have to TRY to die to a Reaper. Only about 5% damage from him hitting you and then he releases immediately when you zap him. I would even say it is TOO powerful.

I would actually prefer something that required skill to set up than just a "left click to stay alive" scenario. Something more along the lines of a "true" defense grid that you build yourself and lay out to protect you or your base. The latest upgrades just seem to take the scary/fun part out of it all
    So, just to make sure I am understanding this correctly , (I have installed the latest official update (i.e., not experimental)). If I load an existing game save I won't see the changes made in the latest release? I have to start a new game to see the changes?
    You should still see them. I didn't restart and it seems fine. The only caveat is that any subs or bases that you have in a zone that was changed could be gone. That is very unlikely though. I had 3 big bases and didn't lose anything.
    You can always try it, and check it out. If it doesn't work for you just start a new one I guess
  • BayouMacBayouMac USA Join Date: 2015-09-01 Member: 207643Members, Subnautica Playtester
    Anyone having trouble obtaining crash powder? I went through about 20 crash bases and only retrieved 2 pieces of powder; 1 each from 2 bases. Before the Seamoth update I would normally get 1 to 3 or 4 pieces from most of the bases.
    I only ever got one from each base even before the latest update.
  • tarektarek lebanon Join Date: 2015-04-10 Member: 203241Members
    oh i will mod some mini nukes into those babies soon enough :D
    edited September 2015
    BayouMac wrote: »
    Anyone having trouble obtaining crash powder? I went through about 20 crash bases and only retrieved 2 pieces of powder; 1 each from 2 bases. Before the Seamoth update I would normally get 1 to 3 or 4 pieces from most of the bases.

After having played the sea moth update for several hours I now see what you mean by the difficulty in obtaining crash powder. I have had four attack me in my search for the stuff and not one of them contained crash powder. Two pieces from 20 pods? That's a bit tight, Devs!

Oh, and those biter fish are a right pain!
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    @Insane @Hugh I'm hoping that in the mining update we can see not just the Exosuit at its best but some more work for the Seamoth. I'm thinking if there's a storage module installed then when you dock at a moonpool the seamoth will deposit any items within the module into the lockers in your base. This would be similar to the crafting pool thread and work in with the idea. The Exosuit and Cyclops could use the same system, Exosuit gathers the materials and deposits them into the base via moonpool, or the Seamoth and Exosuit deposit into the Cyclops' built in lockers, and if the Cyclops is ever able to dock at the seabase then those lockers get emptied into the Seabase's ones. That way we can gather things with our Moth and Suit, load them into our portable base and recharge, then when we're done we can return to our headquarters and unload our spoils. Possibly while there are storage modules installed in the Seamoth you can use a robotic arm to gather materials and break limestone, sandstone, basalt, etc. Accessing the storage while in the Moth could help keep track as well
  • Seamothwizard44Seamothwizard44 Join Date: 2015-09-17 Member: 207995Members
    Can u add a massive moonpool for the Cyclops? and upgrade panel too?
    @Hugh also bases could use a bed. Can u find a way to make a bed, because when u sleep u should choose when to wake up and be on full health (Via cryo stasis?)
    @Hugh @Insane Mabye airlocks to get in and out a bit easier. Like the Bulkhead you could add animations to access a panel which turns it on (Out) or off (In)