Best place for a base?

LordDerpLordDerp Netherlands Join Date: 2015-09-10 Member: 207871Members
So, now that the new update (with the new biome) is out, I feel like asking this question: Where is the best place to build a (permanent) seabase? I prefer a rather central place (had one with a previous save under the floater island, but it was a pain in the butt to get anywhere, since it was so far out). Also not too deep, as I want to get a stock seamoth there as well (and moonpool and stuff). And last, not too dangerous (so no reapers, no butt-load of bonesharks, or anything like that). Anyone have some suggestions?

Comments

• destroyah87destroyah87 Join Date: 2015-08-08 Member: 206913Members
    edited September 2015
    I'd say anywhere, given your priorities, probably putting a base on the edge of the safe shallows bordering a red grass plain would be best. There was also a section of the kelp forest that borders the grassy plains on one side that'd probably be pretty good for building, if a little cramped.

As I recall, the location was pretty centrally placed. Though the safe shallows zone is the center of the map, so butting a base anywhere there is going to be very safe. And most of the zone itself isn't shallow enough to inhibit cyclops navigation.

For myself, I've got an idea to build a seabase in a grass plains area and build it vertically in this new update.
  • ElavionElavion Poland Join Date: 2015-09-09 Member: 207844Members
    ...Safe shallows? I tend to just build my base right under the pod.
    This biome fits every part of your description.
  • LordDerpLordDerp Netherlands Join Date: 2015-09-10 Member: 207871Members
    Hm, I'll see if I can get a nice place to settle down, thanks. And besides the safe shallows? Any other places perhaps?
    edited September 2015
    Maybe at the edge of the mushroom trees biome? Or at the mountains at the edge of grand reef?
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    I had a nice base on top of the large plateau in the middle of the kelp forest towards the Floater Island
  • tarektarek lebanon Join Date: 2015-04-10 Member: 203241Members
    under the floating island that's where i build mine

later I will make a huge colony on the island and install huge current generators to move it around
    tarek wrote: »

later I will make a huge colony on the island and install huge current generators to move it around

I doubt it's possible to move the island. It's probably coded as immovable terrain (like the seafloor), and not as a dynamic object (like the small rocks carried by floaters).
  • ChimpXChimpX Join Date: 2015-07-25 Member: 206391Members
    There's a volcanic vent near the surface just west of the Aurora that's a good location - pretty central, with effectively unlimited thermal power.
  • Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members
    I like to set up camp near one of the entrances to the jelly shroom cave. It's between shallows and red plains and near some kelp forrests. Those three are the basic biomes for me, they give you everything you need to survive and build up a main base to operate from.

also good, imo, is floater islands since they increased the amount of fish around there. But shallows are very relaxing to play at, pretty to look atand about in the middle of the map, so you're fast to travel to other bases (if you have some)
  • TheGuru143TheGuru143 U.S. Join Date: 2015-09-07 Member: 207801Members
    under the floating island that's where i build mine.

I did pretty much the same thing. It spans multiple cliffs vertically with side corridors leading to beautiful views (in caves, crevices and such). That really is a beautiful area, day or night. If you don't build up high enough, you will need to use a more advanced power source than solar panels though. I'm currently using the nuclear plant myself down there. My main reason for this base was the proximity to the new (and unfinished) lava cave area.
  • LinfomaLinfoma Portugal Join Date: 2015-09-07 Member: 207791Members
    To me one of the best places to put a base is in the shroom forest near the aurora ....next to the front of the aurora there is a patch of chear sand whit only vegetation, whit shroom forest all around almoust at 200feet, so the seamoth is still safe, at day light u can see the rays of the sun shining through the shrooms and the vegetation and the schools of fish are wonderfull to whatch...my last base had an observatory and lots of windows and it was beautifull to whatch, even in night time is beautifull cuz the shrooms glow....and before someone says its too close to the aurora and you will get reaper visits i say ...never happen to me.... trust me man go take a look its a wonderfull place for a base.
  • tarektarek lebanon Join Date: 2015-04-10 Member: 203241Members
    Elavion wrote: »

I doubt it's possible to move the island. It's probably coded as immovable terrain (like the seafloor), and not as a dynamic object (like the small rocks carried by floaters).

dont ruin my dreams :D
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    I usually build my first base at the safe shallows connecting to creepvine and red weeds biome on some cliffside not too far from my pod, to get most essential resources. Then I relocate via safe shallows to a cliffside with a big deep hole that leads right to the jelly shroom cave. Finally from there I go straight towards the grand reef area once I have the seamoth.

Here on a sandy ledge at about 30-50m I build my master station with a solar grid array for the moonpool to come. I use the seamoth to drive down the first grand reef area, get the moonpool fragment to build it as soon as possible in a height of about 15m under the surface. Then I start to build structures above ocean surface with glass, as there are crystals here everywhere.
  • The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
    All of the ideas I've seen on here are good. A lot better than mine. All of the others are logically placed in major resource hubs. Me? After a mini-base in the Safe Shallows to start with, I build a Cyclops and transport ALL of my stuff to the edge of the map. Then I build my base there. Because I like to look out my window and see a perfect mirror of my soul: an empty abyss.