the map is way too small

tarektarek lebanon Join Date: 2015-04-10 Member: 203241Members
the map is tiny ... like microscopic, when you see games like minecraft or no man sky or star bound ... I cant help but think why is the map so small?

Comments

• Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    edited September 2015
    Beacouse evrything is handmade and it would take extremly much time to make it the size of minecraft or No Mans Sky
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    edited September 2015
    Quality vs quantity.

Currently, the map takes 30 minutes to swim across, or 15 minutes to traverse with the seamoth. Plus you have the underground caves.
  • TheGuru143TheGuru143 U.S. Join Date: 2015-09-07 Member: 207801Members
    Remember, this game is early access and is by no means complete. They are currently working on a new arctic biome and a lava biome is there but not populated yet and I'm sure there are others to come. You are only seeing what they have done thus far.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    You know it's not the size, it's what y... *runs off and hides*
    Only people with small maps say that @Kouji_San B)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2015
    TheGuru143 wrote: »
    Only people with small maps say that @Kouji_San B)

ooow, shots fired you fiend - good thing I made the second biggest map for NS than

But yeah, on a serious note. UWE wants a quality map for you to explore and it will keep expanding. Procedural Generation wasn't up to the standard of quality they want to have.
  • LinfomaLinfoma Portugal Join Date: 2015-09-07 Member: 207791Members
    i hope the current map is like 10% of what it will be when the game is finished...i hope one day to have a hole planet to explore whit gigantic surface ships that carry giant subs that carry cyclops that carry´s seamoth´s :D , that take real time hours to get somewhere, in auto pilot so i can be doing something else to pass the time. B)
  • tarektarek lebanon Join Date: 2015-04-10 Member: 203241Members
    well im used to neptune sized minecraft maps where it would take + 4 hours of real time rail way traveling from place to another
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    While I am not expecting the Subnautica map it to be 10X its current size (perhaps 2X-3X at best with future addons), there are other options. I'm hoping that UWE will eventually support scriptable modding. This will allow new map terrain (populated with pre-existing entities) to be added by 3rd party modders.
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    I don't really see how the map could cover the entire planet - the game file would be massively huge to download! Perhaps it could be done by .. I am not sure how to say it but like add-ons.
    edited September 2015
    map file compression, occlusion rendering, realtime map decompressed for visible stuffs. There are ways, but building it manually will take time and still there's not going to be that unique randomness procedural generation would produce.

Still, Operation Flashpoint/GTA/Fallout/Oblivion/Skyrim and even Borderlands for me at least were big enuf... I guess they could potentially get up to those sizes...
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    The difference between minecraft and subnautica is that Minecraft is sloppily, randomly generated, while subnautica is hand crafted meticulously to deliver the highest level of quality.

Never played a game of minecraft where I didn't see trees randomly floating over lakes, or villages spawned halfway off of a cliff, or a mineshaft sloppily bisected by a chasm
    Skyrim is the biggest non-random generating fully open world map I know of in a game.
    no man sky is basically a universe with planet sized planets full of billions of plant and animal life forms , ruins, trade posts pirates ..etc

so its doable
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    edited September 2015
    We'd love to have a huge, huge world, but it's an issue of resources. As other folks have pointed out, everything in our world is completely hand-crafted. We experimented with procedural generation, like Minecraft or No Man's Sky, but we weren't happy with the results we were getting. So we made the trade-off and decided on a smaller world, but one with a visual quality with which we were much happier.

Which is why comparisons to Minecraft don't really work. Minecraft worlds are built with a minimum resolution of 1m³ blocks, and arranged based on some simple but clever rules that are nonetheless nowhere near sophisticated enough to match the look of the currently detailed areas of Subnautica. So we could do what they do and build a vast world out of big blocks, but then it would look like Minecraft, and not Subnautica.

Similarly, No Man's Sky's claims are impressive, and I cannot wait to get in there and try it out, but there's no basis for comparison right now because the game isn't out yet. None of us know what it's really like to interact with, and how well it works. I really hope it's great, but we've chosen to do something else.
  • PhizzleKanizzlePhizzleKanizzle US Join Date: 2015-09-11 Member: 207879Members
    Hey Devs,
    I was wondering if due to the map size you had plans for some sort of optional endgame? I have noticed that with many open world survival games, often devs do not put in some form of final goal for people like me who enjoy playing many different open world survival games and desire some sort of conclusion. know that I would really appreciate some form of completion and end goal. Thanks, you guys are making a great game, I honestly think your game sets a bar for open world survival games.
  • Justin599MJustin599M NV Join Date: 2015-09-11 Member: 207881Members
    edited September 2015
    I agree, I find the biomes are very small and there are no more than one of each kind. They should also add something on the other side of the Aurora.
    Justin599M wrote: »
    I find the biomes are very small and there are no more than one of each kind. They should also add something on the other side of the Aurora.

If the biomes were created REALLY huge, then you would get bored of too much of the same thing. They seem to be making them "smaller", but making many different types. I prefer this because there are always new and exciting things just around the corner.
    As for the other side of the Aurora, they are working on areas on that side already...they just aren't ready yet. Remember, this game is EA and still in development
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    Myrm wrote: »
    Skyrim is the biggest non-random generating fully open world map I know of in a game.

Technically Oblivion had a larger map.
    Morrowind's was even bigger.

GTA5's map is much bigger than Morrowind.
    Insane wrote: »
    but then it would look like Minecraft, and not Subnautica.

Subnauticraft

This isn't YOUR Subnautica... it's *wait for it* MINEnautica. Mwahaha!

I'll just show myself to the door now...
    I just thought; Elite Dangerous is the game I have played with the biggest non-random generating map as it maps the entire Milky Way galaxy, or so it claims. :smile:

I thought Insane's explanation of the SN world size was extremely informative.
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    Justin599M wrote: »
    I find the biomes are very small and there are no more than one of each kind.

I tend to agree, maybe the size of the biomes will be increased closer to the full release. Maybe, just maybe, we can have the current map be increased in size a little, and then have biomes like the grand and sparse reefs, grassy plateaus, koosh zones, dunes, etc be randomly generated in like minecraft. After all, the devs have designed the main idea of these biomes, making various sizes and shapes of them should be a bit easier now. I don't know though
  • ArbinatorArbinator antarctica Join Date: 2015-09-09 Member: 207851Members
    I just thought; Elite Dangerous is the game I have played with the biggest non-random generating map as it maps the entire Milky Way galaxy, or so it claims. :smile:

The stars and planets are in fact randomly generated, the only exception is planets and stars that are well documented, which the ED team will handcraft.
    Arbinator wrote: »

The stars and planets are in fact randomly generated, the only exception is planets and stars that are well documented, which the ED team will handcraft.

KK, I'll stick with my Skyrim answer then >.<
  • boolyboolyboolybooly UK Join Date: 2015-09-02 Member: 207663Members
    Sn map is very highly crafted though, you wont get half the gameplay density from a procedural map. It is also very tuned for aesthetics. Would take a lot of work to get a procedural map generator which could follow the recipe well enough to make something better for being bigger and as beautiful.

I have played 55 hours and still havent seen a quarter of the map (keep getting killed... or updated!)
    Maybe a Biome could be procedurally generated. Like a "The Wilds" with thick vegetation and plentiful predators.
  • PraetorianUKPraetorianUK UK Join Date: 2015-09-10 Member: 207863Members
    From a guy whose studying computer game software development, we are told by our tutors its better to make a game of Bejewelled that plays fluidly than to create an RPG that sucks in every sense.

Have faith. The game will scale in time and will have so much more to it; there's already loads! And lets no forget, the game isn't finished! Wouldn't you prefer living in a small but complete house whilst your mansion next door is still under construction?

The game is incredible by the way, love every minute of it!
    edited September 2015
    Oki so how about this example for games in their alpha state ( @PraetorianUK inspired :tongue: )

Minecraft Alpha, "Oh cool what a huge world, but wait there's not much to do (imagination time), eventually they added more stuff..."

Subnautica Alpha, "oh cool already lot's to do and more on the list -> I'd rather have a smaller world with lot's to do than a barrens"

So, yeah that's kinda the thing...