Server queue system...

MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
1hr 5mins waiting to join server with my friends on... and 10 other people have jumped in before. Please can we have a server queue system like battle-fields so at least I can give up....

No ns2 for me now tonight... feeling sad :(

Comments

• SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I use a mod called FastJoin that attempts to join a server every second instead of every 10 seconds. And you probably already know about the Steam browser being a better alternative than the default to queue.
  • CRaZyCAT_RusCRaZyCAT_Rus Russia Join Date: 2013-10-31 Member: 188899Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    The problem with Steam's join game is that it doesn't take into account reserved slots, only real slots.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I had three steam friends on the sever, so three auto joins and the in game server browser ticking away... was a total nightmare.

I finally got on, but Ill try the mods... thanks guys :smiley:
  • woozawooza Switzerland Join Date: 2013-11-21 Member: 189496Members, Squad Five Blue
    mmhhhh a queue system.... how long i have dreamed of this... But i doubt that feature gets implemented, there is alot of other "important" tasks to do before.

Anyway, me and regulars on my servers using something what we call a quick join shortcut.

Simply create a shortcut somewhere like on desktop, add this as URL: steam://connect/"IP of the server":"Query Port of the server"

Example: steam://connect/apheriox.dyndns.org:27016

Easiest solution to join a server without having ns2 open and you will mostly join faster than people try to do with ns2 server browser.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Thanks guys, some great tips :)
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    I usually just refresh till a slot opens, rarely takes more than 5 min.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I usually just refresh till a slot opens, rarely takes more than 5 min.
    What kinda servers are you trying to join? :) Mine takes a map like eclipse for spots to open.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
  • colonoscopy_odysseycolonoscopy_odyssey Melbourne Join Date: 2014-04-25 Member: 195607Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2015
    some kind of internal queuing system for the game is certainly required

in australia there's still a fairly active community, but essentially only one server to play one (16 slots)

on more occasions than i care to remember i've sat there, spamming join, screaming and flagellating myself, into the long hours of the night, until my voice is hoarse, my back is raw, but still, never gaining entry to that elusive holy site

and what's really soul destroying is when you think it's going to join, only to be told, as soon as you start loading, that the server is full, and you have to rejoin the queue (if there even is one, or are we all just pawns in another illuminati scheme)
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2015
    I'll give a little technical in-sign on this:
    So far the steamworks API does not support such kind of connection queries. So we would have to work around with a lobby system to make this happen. Which is as terrible as it sounds.

So currently it's really who authenticates first at the given servers gets in.

Therefor i recommend to join up another server instead of waiting to join the full one. If enough ppl would act the same way you could play ways more than you do atm. You can still use the steam server browser to queue for the other server at the same time ;)
  • SnXSnX Join Date: 2013-01-17 Member: 180145Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Just use the Steam server list. Add the server to the list and join the auto queue there.
    Be sure to start NS2 first, alt-tab out and join the queue using the Steam server list.

When adding the server to the steam server list be sure to up the portnumber by one. For instance server address is 123.123.123.123:27015, add it like 123.123.123.123:27016 and it will appear correctly in the list. Just join the automatic join queue (auto join when a spot comes available) from there and you will be in much quicker since it refreshes much better/often. Works 99% of the time for me.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos

in australia there's still a fairly active community, but essentially only one server to play one (16 slots)

on more occasions than i care to remember i've sat there, spamming join, screaming and flagellating myself, into the long hours of the night, until my voice is hoarse, my back is raw, but still, never gaining entry to that elusive holy site

and what's really soul destroying is when you think it's going to join, only to be told, as soon as you start loading, that the server is full, and you have to rejoin the queue (if there even is one, or are we all just pawns in another illuminati scheme)

If "active community" means "too many people for one" server; maybe it's time to finance one. If you're a grown man (or woman) it shouldn't be too hard to get there i believe.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation

If "active community" means "too many people for one" server; maybe it's time to finance one. If you're a grown man (or woman) it shouldn't be too hard to get there i believe.

Too many for one doesn't mean enough for two..
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    mattji104 wrote: »

People enter in bars (or else) because there's light in there.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    I enter into bars because there's barely any light. I don't enter servers because there's barely any players
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    mattji104 wrote: »

People enter in bars (or else) because there's light in there.

Have you seen some of the creatures that enter into bars :smiley:
    There's a "Thirsty Ono's" joke in there somewhere :smiley: