The almighty wall jump speed and sound

UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
Hi,

It's been a long time since i wanted to bring that to light.

In a distant time i was on a server and the fight was kinda intense.

I was going toward Crevice to kill that harvester. I heard a sound like this: "rowr rowr rowr". I knew there was something coming here. I did prepare by positioning myself to make sure not to miss. Wall jump doesn't allow you to turn to much without loosing speed. So it's usually straight lines.

As I knew where the skulk would wall-jump, it was clearly a trap for the skulk. I did killed it though I'm sure he did a perfect sequence and therefore should at least wound me. Nothing of the sort happened. I just got a rag doll at my feet.

I see the guy rage quit after that. If the situation was inverted I would have probably done the same. I can't help thinking about it on a regular basis when having the same kind of trouble on my side.

When you build up speed to a level that you clearly master wall jumping, it's just ruined by the sound it makes.
It's so easy to hear the specific sound that whatever you are good at it or not, it just doesn't matter. You give away your position, and give the opponent time to prepare.

This example on crevice : Wall jumping did not help to save the harvester nor to change anything. I had time to prepare and it's quite an advantage (even though I'm a lousy marine shot). Needless to say at some skill level you just don't go unnoticed with wall jump. It's more like a sitting duck contest.

On other situations : if i is not used to attack it is used to get to the 'hot spots' faster. While your teammates are waiting for you; the sound it makes signal every marine on the area to keep eyes and ears opened. Surprise effect = ruined. I mean I think it's louder than a "hive drop".

I think it's a concern that on a game of skilled moves (WJ, StrafeJump, clog piling, blink/metobolize etc..); this specific move is just rendered close to useless because of this traitor sound. I mean Silence (when available) is a better choice than Aura if you are the running man of the game.

I don't say it's useless, but it's clearly rare to be able to use it 100% to your advantage. The downside is clearly lowering the efficient use of it.

What would be the best to make it back in business for real ?
Lowering the sound ? Or lowering the bullet damage (like umbra) ? A bit of both Or else ? What do you think ?

Comments

• UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Ho, if it was not clear enough I'm talking about 13 to 14+ speed type. The kind of speed it takes time to build.

I don't think KB did an tactical error this time. I would have done the same to try to save it. The harvester was low. The diversion was kinda a good move. Keeping my bullets to hit the harvester was saving time. It's just that, WJ can't really be used as a offensive asset when building up this kind of speed. Therefor top speed is "unusable" (is it a English word ?).

It's adding to the "brick skulk" feeling. Because you can't turn, and lag doesn't help this time... while Strafe Jump allows incredibly clueless marines to escape hopeless situations helped by the very same lag.

Hmm...

• SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think 11 is the top speed for skulks right? But yes you were perfectly clear about that.

I get fragged some times by good players who run at full speed. I know he's coming, he knows that I know he's coming - but that doesn't matter when I'm in the middle of a reload because I just killed his two slow skulk team mates. Likewise I'm frequently in the opposite position. That is the type of opening I'm talking about.

A skulk is not supposed to beat a marine 1v1 - top speed or not. I thought we had established this already.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    SantaClaws wrote: »
    A skulk is not supposed to beat a marine 1v1 - top speed or not. I thought we had established this already.
    Especially if the marine is ready with good positioning. Assuming equal skill I do think that in a 1v1 ambush from the skulk, it is in the skulks favor, but in that case the skulk was prepared.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    I mean I think it was a shitty b250 addition, but it never really bothered me.

If anything I wish they included the dog panting noise for the intermediate speed. They said they would and never did. Left with only the growl.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2015
    You said it best, if you want speed you need to travel in more of a straight line. That's the trade off with that mechanic: evasiveness for speed.
    It's imperative it remains this way, else you have those insane beta skulks that we had for a short while that had full air control and speed and were basically gods with teeth.

Like santaclaws said, he would have done well to differ his approach if it meant a predictable pattern out in the open on a marine that is waiting for you.

As for the sound, it's a part of one of the main pillars of design for NS2; being able to detect your enemy's plans if you are aware enough.
    This works from the macro (only skulks so far in the round ) to the micro (hearing a gorge build structures in the next room) and is important to have to put emphasis on positioning... which is a hugely important concept in a ranged vs. melee game.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    I think 11 is the top speed for skulks right? But yes you were perfectly clear about that.

I get fragged some times by good players who run at full speed. I know he's coming, he knows that I know he's coming - but that doesn't matter when I'm in the middle of a reload because I just killed his two slow skulk team mates. Likewise I'm frequently in the opposite position. That is the type of opening I'm talking about.

You can achieve with Celerity a speed up to 15. I noticed that without celerity is became more and more difficult to go to a speed of 11 (the limit at which the sound plays).

The 1vs1 case is always situational. In some places, Marine should win, in some others, alien should win. It depends on the area, nooks. And still, the 1vs1 talks in these forums never included the >11 speed. There is no full speed (limit) to my knowledge.

IronHorse wrote: »
    You said it best, if you want speed you need to travel in more of a straight line. That's the trade off with that mechanic: evasiveness for speed.
    It's imperative it remains this way, else you have those insane beta skulks that we had for a short while that had full air control and speed and were basically gods with teeth.

Like santaclaws said, he would have done well to differ his approach if it meant a predictable pattern out in the open on a marine that is waiting for you.

As for the sound, it's a part of one of the main pillars of design for NS2; being able to detect your enemy's plans if you are aware enough.
    This works from the macro (only skulks so far in the round ) to the micro (hearing a gorge build structures in the next room) and is important to have to put emphasis on positioning... which is a hugely important concept in a ranged vs. melee game.

If the trade-off is maneuverability; why on earth the sound is there and played so loud ?

He could have done nothing to save this Harvester as he simply wouldn't get there in time (from Atrium to Crevice) without the speed. He did delay me to kill the harvester faster. It was the right choice. He did try to remove the threat with a supposedly great asset (speed) but ultimately only delayed the harvester death. So the trade-off was sacrifice for time, leaving another teammate to try to intercept. Considering the specifics of the Crevice area (opened) and this situation, of course.

But; It would have been the same in some other area. The obvious problem isn't if it is an open area or not. It's just every marine knows you are arriving before you can even see one or HEAR one. The marine can practically pin-point you (left right with stereo). At least if the sound wasn't giving the direction where the danger comes from, it would be somewhat ok. But it's just not the case.

So you can't use it:
    • in combat
    • in case of emergency (get there to save it)
    • if you want to be unnoticed in any situation (At least not pin-pointed a mile away). So even a gathering is out of the question.
    What's left ? If it's not useful, one can ask : why it's there ?

Another question remains. If we were to compare the WallJump and StrafeJump. Why is there no downside to StrafeJump ?
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think 11 is the top speed for skulks right?
    I thought there was a hard cap on speed, but I did not remember what speed. I just tested, and I can get up to a maximum of 14.1 skulk speed with celerity and leap. To try and find a cap, I turned on darwin mode, and I acheived a max of 15.2 but even just spamming leap it was hard to get.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    This is why ranged spores on 1 hive is needed, so you can displace marines :)
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    :/
    There is no strafe jump for marines.
    Therefore there is nothing to compare it to in NS2.

But as said before, the increased speed needs to come with tradeoffs. In NS1 bunnyhopping was very predictable, as is strafe jumping from Quake. Walljumping is somewhat predictable, but also does increase the sound footprint.

Honestly, a good marine with decent headphones would most likely hear even a walking skulk approaching in that situation, unless they sneak-walked the entire way.

There are situations where it is useful to bomb into rooms with full walljump speed, plus its useful to traverse the map quickly. In combat its not always super useful, but thats because its better to dodge as many bullets as possible at that point, which means being evasive.
    Nordic wrote: »
    I think 11 is the top speed for skulks right?
    I thought there was a hard cap on speed, but I did not remember what speed. I just tested, and I can get up to a maximum of 14.1 skulk speed with celerity and leap. To try and find a cap, I turned on darwin mode, and I acheived a max of 15.2 but even just spamming leap it was hard to get.

I can confirm 15,2. But i didn't do it with "leap on spawn" (as i understand it).
    v7uoc6y4v9kb.png
    Though I'm sure i could go faster in a ... not so distant past.
    I can confirm 15,2. But i didn't do it with "leap on spawn" (as i understand it).
    v7uoc6y4v9kb.png
    Though I'm sure i could go faster in a ... not so distant past.
    Ghoul wrote:
    iirc technically the max boost you can get from walljumping alone is 11 + amount of spurs * 0.4

but their is no max limit and the system can be easily tricked

so up to around 15 should be possible if not more
    If using gravity in a large open space, like crevice you could probably go higher.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Its fine.

* Its a trade off.
    * Even a not walljumping skulk can be heared fairly easy.
    * If the marine could kill of a entire harvesters health, aliens were sleeping if out of position to handle it.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with the whole situation minus bad alien play.
    xDragon wrote: »
    :/
    There is no strafe jump for marines.
    Therefore there is nothing to compare it to in NS2.

But as said before, the increased speed needs to come with tradeoffs. In NS1 bunnyhopping was very predictable, as is strafe jumping from Quake. Walljumping is somewhat predictable, but also does increase the sound footprint.

Honestly, a good marine with decent headphones would most likely hear even a walking skulk approaching in that situation, unless they sneak-walked the entire way.

There are situations where it is useful to bomb into rooms with full walljump speed, plus its useful to traverse the map quickly. In combat its not always super useful, but thats because its better to dodge as many bullets as possible at that point, which means being evasive.
    Actually, there IS a Strafe Jump maneuver for Marines. It has been discussed in great lengths.
    Maybe, you're referring to something else. If not the comparison is about number of downsides. Walljump have 2, Strafe Jump : 0.

• xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2015
    If you call the act of strafing a direction and jumping a strafe jump, then I cannot argue with that. There is NOT however a mechanic for marines which promotes or increases the effectiveness of simply strafing left or right and jumping. There is no 'strafe jump' mechanic like Quake, nor any kind of additional acceleration granted to strafing and jumping versus just plain strafing. In actuality, when marines land after a jump they are slowed, so each consecutive jump is slower. A skulk who is baited into missing by a marine feigning left then moving right would fall for the same trick if the marine jumped or not.

FYI I believe that thread was in response to when a true strafe jump ability was added to marines, which increased their lateral acceleration. That is NOT in the game anymore.

Also note that a skulk can strafe left or right and jump, just like a marine can. They however do not get slowed when landing, and have slightly better acceleration and a higher top end speed.

Its not something that is always apparent to newer players, but its much more effective to crash straight into a marine when biting him, or at least stop moving forward for the most part. You want to be on the ground and able to strafe to match the marines movements as best as possible.

The slower speed only occurs if you're using something like the mouse-wheel to jump and roll it endlessly. It takes 10 sec to train and make a little wait time between jumps to be able to jump again at maximum speed in ANY direction. Left / right, Left / right et voila!

You can achieve from 0 to 5.9 (+/-) speed by using the same gesture (Strafe left , turn left and jump).
    If already moving it can go up to 6.7 (running speed is 6.5).

It looks like a frog. Considering the lag issue this game has and many other things. It doesn't take much time to see a marine "warp" somewhere else. I mean everybody use it... It's not for nothing right ?

That's the fun part of it. The skulk at maximum speed is a easy target and do not warp due to the predictable trajectory while the marine is completely shifting between dimensional planes. I often see this in my engagements (like he never saw me coming) and from a distance (2 other players). EU server are far as 30 to 60ms. This tends to happen with players with low pings... weird.

I think giving more armor to the marines would have been better in the end. I think Marines at heart are so ... not capable of doing anything else than fancy moves (in others games too) that they will try to keep this forever. It just show more clearly the flaws this game has. Too bad.
    Yes if you wait long enough between jumps (probably about .3-.4 seconds) then you wont be slowed. This has nothing to do with mouse wheeling jump...

There is no lag issue. Whatever this is that you are referring to is either a poorly performing server, bad connection or some client issue. Someone 'warping' has either a BAD connection themselves or the server is experiencing poor tickrates.

The marine while jumping is a predictable target - he cant wildly change directions, or really do much more then shoot at you and slightly drift.

People jump because it is effective, I never said that it wasn't. Most players have a tendency to look straight ahead as a skulk. With your low camera angle to the marine and lower vision from the animation of biting, it is quite common for skulks to lose track of the marine as he jumps. The jumping animation for marines has them tucking their legs up both quickly and quite far, ideally that would be changed (but its a lot of work).
    Test it for yourself. I am definitely sure it's closer to .1 than anything.

I see the warping on any one and any server. Everything is green light on my side.

The trajectory of a jump is of course predictable. It's when you change direction between jumps. 180 degrees is possible. The fasr skulk goes along a straight line more or less.

I don't have any issue aiming and landing my bites. From the top, bottom, left or right; if i decide to sneak on a marine i make sure he won't expect me (otherwise i don't engage). Everything goes flawlessly until the jump sequence starts.

Again i saw that from a distance too on a regular basis.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Warping @UncleCrunch really?

If its the server everyone should warp.
    If only one or a few persons warp, I can only image that client just having a poor connection.

With all the servers taw runs and all the logs I have digged in over the course of many patches, I have never seen any indication of warping unless either a server or clients connection went to crap.
    Yes obviously all can warp if the server would be stressed, but I am talking good servers here. :)
    Low ping does not equal no packet loss.