Ultra Deep Sea

KalimandoKalimando Cyclops Join Date: 2015-08-21 Member: 207353Members
I think what this game is missing is depth, pun intended.

When I think about the ocean, I think about the shallow reefs and stuff but the game could definitely be expanded a great deal with its vertical plane. Imagine having a massively deep area, 400m-500m deep and expanded use for certain terrain types. Currently the deepest you can go with the Cyclops is around 200m to 300m if you find a decent place, but most of the earth's oceans are anywhere from 300m to 5000m deep in places. Since subnautica seems to take place on an ocean world, it wouldn't make sense for 99% of the the terrain to be below water, yet only as deep as 200m in most places, otherwise you would see islands and surfaces, so there needs to be a lot of really deep ocean out there. Having areas like this could open up all kinds of new creature possibilities. Bleached white and eyeless creatures that survive in the black depths, as well as the monstrous creatures that feed on them.
640?cb=20120913132117
In addition the Cyclops could dock with a ship like this, which could have a sort of visual depth radar for scanning the deep, while providing increased speed of travel due to being above obstructions.

Comments

• crane476crane476 United States, Tx Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206850Members
    The cyclops can go much deeper if you find the Hull Reinforcement fragment in the mushroom forest. 3 of them can increase max depth to 900m, and once DNA splicing and upgrades are implemented, these upgrades can be enhanced for depths well past 1000m.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    Would be cool if we could go deep enough that you couldn't even see like 5 feet in front of you. At least until a big bioluminous monster pops up to eat your face.
  • NevercallmebynameNevercallmebyname Join Date: 2015-08-15 Member: 207155Members
    I want this I want this so bad. I was thinking just the other day that I'd like to have this and then here it is.
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    edited August 2015
    Are you absolutely certain that you want to know what's lurking in the abyss?

Based on previous experience, I suspect it won't be friendly.

If sonar is ever properly implemented in Subnautica, the very notion of leaving the 'safe' shallows would give most folks screaming nightmares.
    Fortunately, there's still plenty of jolly fun to be found dodging Bone Sharks or Stalkers, playing Bleeder Tennis or hide and seek with Mister Reaper.

I wouldn't be in a hurry to meet something that could peel open a Cyclops like a fortune cookie.
  • LeuenteichLeuenteich Germany Join Date: 2015-08-18 Member: 207258Members
    Totally agree with Kalimando, logically there will be deep ocean with monstrous creatures on this planet. Also, I like the artwork of the ship, hope they will get implemented some day. It looks like there could be a constructor in it.

@ 04Leonhardt: I was deep down once, about 700m with my cyclops, didn't see where i was driving into, so I came to a cave that kind of big that even with my cyclops I felt as tiny as an ant. I don't know if it was for the depth or the cave, but sight was very limited.
  • Duff_McDugginDuff_McDuggin Join Date: 2015-07-02 Member: 205964Members
    @Kalimando The grand reef where I live primarily, gets down to about 625m or so. So I think that is still pretty shallow depth considering 3 of the seamoth depth modules will allow for that depth. The devs have been trying to figure out how to deal with the edge of the map, so your idea of extending downward would be a great way of expanding the game. Planned depth of the game though I suspect will be quite deep. The cyclops can get down to 3000m I think with the chelonian hull modules. I love the idea of bio-luminescent creatures in the black depths. I want things to get scary down there. Caves, things to scare you, sounds to makes your nerves tremble. Make it feel like the opposite of the safe shallows. Lots of bright colors and pretty sights and creatures that are easy enough to deal with, to the black depths where the real monsters live.
    I have not seen that ship art yet. I can imagine that might be tech you get later in the game after restoring some systems on the aurora. That ship is gorgeous. If implemented, I could see myself getting stuck on it. Just stuck because I cant stop looking at it. Just seeing that ship has amplified my hopes of where this game is going to go. Absolutely amazing!
  • Duff_McDugginDuff_McDuggin Join Date: 2015-07-02 Member: 205964Members
    @Kalimando where did you find that concept picture? tried finding it in the media section, and on a general google search. Want to see if there is more tech concept art like that.
  • jdanilovjdanilov Join Date: 2015-08-25 Member: 207459Members
    Ship would be great to have indeed! Paired with a weather system which is quite boring now. We need storms, big waves, rain, fog and other weather conditions.

Currently there is a huge lava cave that goes deep to ~800m. You can get there with an upgraded cyclops.

On stepping into Abyss - exciting! On luminescent Abyssal monsters - exciting! Sonar system - exciting! Make the game frightening, hell yeah!
  • PajamaJamsPajamaJams Boulder, CO Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207121Members
    That boat would make perfect for a mobile cyclops docking station. Maybe you could get an attachment module that would enable solar panels on the boat, so the cyclops can charge. But, when you move the ship, it also takes energy from the main generator.