Monster for the surface waters

NevercallmebynameNevercallmebyname Join Date: 2015-08-15 Member: 207155Members
Has anyone else noticed that nothing will attack you if you just skip over the surface? I feel this is a bit unrealistic and too easily exploited. There needs to be a rare-ish surface water predator. I have invented one. I call him the Sunderer Fish. Part sunfish part shark, it swims on its side to sunbathe but will start swimming upright when hunting to pick up speed. It's fins are a little too long for them to invade the safety of the shallow reefs thankfully.

Comments

• 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    maybe if we had schools of fish more common near the surface, then it would facilitate a big shark or something.

Thing is, though, swimming up is the easiest way to avoid the deeper dwelling predators, so they would either need to spawn away from each other, or hang around biomes that don't have as many predators, so the player still has a chance to survive.
  • IvanKeskaIvanKeska US Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207202Members
    Ya I'd also like to see fish spawn more near the surface, because when i swim through say a kelp forest i should be watching out for stalkers in all directions. Since right now all you do is watch around the sea floor, even thou the kelp goes to the surface thus fish and other stuff would be up there to.
  • NevercallmebynameNevercallmebyname Join Date: 2015-08-15 Member: 207155Members
    edited August 2015
    maybe if we had schools of fish more common near the surface, then it would facilitate a big shark or something.

Thing is, though, swimming up is the easiest way to avoid the deeper dwelling predators, so they would either need to spawn away from each other, or hang around biomes that don't have as many predators, so the player still has a chance to survive.

Yes what I imagine is an uncommon creature that you'd have to be very unlucky to actually encounter.
    IvanKeska wrote: »
    Ya I'd also like to see fish spawn more near the surface, because when i swim through say a kelp forest i should be watching out for stalkers in all directions. Since right now all you do is watch around the sea floor, even thou the kelp goes to the surface thus fish and other stuff would be up there to.

That's exactly why I thought of this idea because I managed to reach the floating island just by jumping on the surface.
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    I think the idea of not much coming to the surface is a good idea as it gives you a break from having to watch all around you, after all I would want some respite from having watch my back all the time. It's like the food and water in survival, as soon as you've eaten/drank the water/food levels start ticking down right away and so you spend the majority of your time having to worry about eating/drinking. The same is for the predators. If they were everywhere you'd never get to relax. It was said, by the OP, that the lack of predators near the surface is easily exploited but I disagree. After all, your resources etc. don't float around on the surface; you have to swim down to find/collect them, and that's when the predators come into play.
  • NevercallmebynameNevercallmebyname Join Date: 2015-08-15 Member: 207155Members
    Myrm wrote: »
    I think the idea of not much coming to the surface is a good idea as it gives you a break from having to watch all around you, after all I would want some respite from having watch my back all the time. It's like the food and water in survival, as soon as you've eaten/drank the water/food levels start ticking down right away and so you spend the majority of your time having to worry about eating/drinking. The same is for the predators. If they were everywhere you'd never get to relax. It was said, by the OP, that the lack of predators near the surface is easily exploited but I disagree. After all, your resources etc. don't float around on the surface; you have to swim down to find/collect them, and that's when the predators come into play.

I say that it can be exploited because I can skip around the whole map without worrying about anything biting my toes. Sure having a safe place available is nice but I'd personally proffer to be on edge whenever I'm not in the base. As it is, I feel like whenever I'm above the water I've actually left the game.
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    Yes that is a fair point.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    I feel like whenever I'm above the water I've actually left the game.

Technically, you HAVE left the game, since everything is underwater.

I feel like whenever I'm above the water I've actually left the game.

Technically, you HAVE left the game, since everything is underwater.

which is why I want to add something that patrols the surface waters so that even up there I'm still in the game
  • Duff_McDugginDuff_McDuggin Join Date: 2015-07-02 Member: 205964Members
    There should be surface danger. Swimming on the surface, your silhouette betrays you. Real sharks make use of this for seals. This could be a thing for surface swimming over deeper waters.
  • LectrionLectrion CA, US Join Date: 2015-08-18 Member: 207243Members
    And while we're at it how about an amphibian that can patrol surface waters and the floating islands?

I would like to see a bigger "Hover-fish" relative that can actually can hunt you on land (where it looks like it belongs on or near).