Filtered Water

ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
I've been thinking about the filtered water lately. Should it also give you some salt when you make it since you are filtering out sea water. Just a random thought

Comments

• LightdevilLightdevil Austria Join Date: 2015-06-10 Member: 205381Members, Subnautica Playtester
    I've been thinking about the filtered water lately. Should it also give you some salt when you make it since you are filtering out sea water. Just a random thought

I always thought the airsack of which you make it from already filtered the water and youre just "extracting" it from the animal to get the drinkable water.
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    I always felt like you were using the Airsack as a filter to get the water
  • Duff_McDugginDuff_McDuggin Join Date: 2015-07-02 Member: 205964Members
    I am still confused as to how an airsac can provide water. There isn't much mass there to deliver much water. I use it because that's where the game says to get easy water. Would think I could get more water from a peeper or spade fish or garry fish. They have mass to hold water. Reminds me of the old movie Dune with the water reclamation furnaces. Airsacs just don't make sense to begin with. As for the salt, salt would have to be a measured thing as food, water, and oxygen are before you could determine how much salt you need from a meal. I think that would be getting a bit too detailed. Besides, that's why you have cured fish. Nice and salty.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    I am still confused as to how an airsac can provide water.
    The sacks on the Airsack are filled with water which allow it to control its buoyancy, like a submarine.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I am still confused as to how an airsac can provide water.
    The sacks on the Airsack are filled with water which allow it to control its buoyancy, like a submarine.

Surely they would be filled with air? I mean, it's called an Air Sack...
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    It fills with air AND water. That's how it controls buoyancy.
    Air to rise, water to sink.
  • KelfaKelfa Join Date: 2015-05-30 Member: 205084Members
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    It fills with air AND water. That's how it controls buoyancy.
    Air to rise, water to sink.

In fact, most fish in our world have a similar organe, called swim bladder. Its a sack that the fish can pump gas in or let out to control its buoyancy.
    Its also used for other purposes like sensing sound (from the resonation of the sound in the bladder)
    You can read that in the top 3 lines wikipedia has on "swim bladder"

So, im guessing the Airsack functions the same way, just a bit oversized for some reason.
    Since the bladder seems to be airtight, im guessing its also watertight.
    That lead me to the thought that the bladder is not used as a filter (because it is watertight) but as a container for already filtered drinking water.
    The water could be filtered through destillation (which is commonly used for turning sea water into drinking water, as i read in a survival book).
    The process behind this in the game could be that the fabricator uses energy to heat some seawater (which is so abundant that its unecessary to have "sea water" as an item),
    the water evaporates without the salt (and without many other potentially unhealthy particles). The steam then condenses on any cold surface inside the fabricator and flows down (due to gravity) into the bladder of the airsack ready for drinking or conserving (just tie a knot in the opening of the bladder).