Endgame/some tweak suggestions

7R1P0D7R1P0D Canada Join Date: 2015-08-15 Member: 207170Members
edited August 2015 in Ideas and Suggestions
So we all know from the intro text that the player's ship was sent here as a way to get a group of people on to the planet and then make it ready for more people to show up and colonize it, and I have an idea on how to tie that in to being an actual objective

We can have it so the objective of the game is for the player to build an underwater city big enough to hold a certain number of people, including their supplies, food generating rooms, etc. The number of people required could be set in a difficulty tab, and the resources needed to build a working colony would be spread around all the biomes. Having the people actually show up and land and interact with the base would be cool, but probably way too much work, so having the game just end when their ship comes to land at the base would be good enough

-Landing pad-
In order for the ships carrying the colonists to land at your base and for the game to be won, you need a landing pad on the surface of the water that connects to the base below it. Made out of materials like lithium to be strong enough for a ship to land on it

-Radiation-
The radiation from the Aurora must be stopped before any colonists can land.

-Living quarters-
For each person you need your colony to hold, you also need one bed and two small lockers. Beds can also be used by the player like benches, but with the ability to also skip time at the cost of taking up more room and costing more resources to build

-Food-
People need to eat, and an entire colony going out and grabbing fish out of the ocean isn't going to work. You need to set up fish and algae farms, as well as water purifiers, and have enough power and resources to stock and run them all. There also has to be a "cafeteria" with a certain number of tables and benches where the colonists go to eat

-Power-
All of these farms and rooms are going to need a lot of power to run, power that (for the sake of making you go to the cool parts of the map) you can't get from solar panels, thermal reactors near steam vents or even the small nuclear reactor. You have to go down to the inactive lava zone in your exosuit and upgraded cyclops that can handle the pressure, and build a large thermal reactor right on the lava field, then build power transmitters that go all the way back to your base

-Happiness-
In order for the inhabitants to stay sane, they need to be able to see outside of their tin can shelter, and preferably have a good view when they do. Each glass panel or see-through room you add increases happiness, and building your base in a certain distance of biomes increases the happiness multiplier of each window based on how nice the biome looks, and stacks if your base is close to two different biomes

-Transportation-
Separate bases can be considered "combined" if both bases have a working seamoth dock and seamoth. This lets you build your colony in separate pieces, which looks cool, is fun and is possibly more practical

Once all of these requirements are met, you go up to your landing pad, activate the antenna thing on it with a button press, and a ship comes down and lands, and you win

I can't think of any other base objectives right now, but feel free to comment if you have some. I do have some other ideas below on items to add to the game to make it a bit less convoluted and more practical

-Walls-
It always bugged me how empty the center of the bigger rooms were, with no ability to add any wall mounted items in the middle. My suggestion to fix this would be a buildable wall piece, that adds a bit of structural stability and can have items mounted on it

-Room/corridor Attachments-
having the big circular room with 8 attachment points but only being able to use the 4 cross ones for actual room attachment was a pretty big let down, and made a lot of the cool terrain I found for my seabases not be used in the way I hoped, because I was forced to build in a grid. Removing this restriction would mean that any parts of a base built at a 45 degree angle from each other could only be connected by one corridor since the rest would no longer line up, but one corridor is enough 99% of the time so I would be fine with that tradeoff considering the freedom it gives you in return

-Seamoth arm upgrade/general tweaks-
When researched, gives seamoths robotic arms that can be used to pick up items off the ground and put into the inventory. Also lets the player check inventory and dump items while in the seamoth.
Personally I'd have being able to check inventory even in the stock seamoth, along with the player spawning under/behind the seamoth facing the same direction as it instead of spawning facing a random direction, and sometimes having the seamoth crash into you because you were still moving when you got out and it decided to spawn you in front

-Water Vibration Sensor- (think of a better sounding name) Works like the thermometer, once built, has a scale that goes up when it senses vibrations in the water from large animals before you can see them, with bigger animals getting bigger readings

-Discovering new technology-
The current system of going around and finding fragments of things is really annoying, and unless you want to break immersion and just look up where to find certain fragments on google, pretty hard to understand. Personally I would replace fragments with a research point system: Bringing items from the world and scanning them on a research table gives you an amount of research points based on the scanned item's rarity and the danger of the area in which it was found. Items that are scanned are destroyed and you cannot scan a type of item you've already scanned. These research points can then be used to buy blueprints that also range in research point cost based on how hard they are to get as it is now, with fragments in dangerous places costing a lot more than ones found right beside the life pod. It also gives you more of a scientist in an unknown land sort of feel, trying to document everything you find. Unharvestable creatures (usually the big ones) give research points when killed and "harvested"

-Anomaly Scanner-
A handheld item you can build that beeps when pointed in the direction of the nearest unknown item. range is quite far, but always points to the closest unknown object (any object that you can put in your
inventory but never scanned on the research table is considered unknown). Does not point to an item you already have in your inventory, even if you haven't scanned that item yet. Uses battery when equipped like a flashlight

-Resource Scanner-
A handheld item you can build that beeps when pointed in the direction of the desired known item. range is quite far, but always points to the closest desired known object (you select which item you want it to scan for from a list of items you have previously scanned on the research table when you right click). Uses battery when equipped like a flashlight

-Biome Mapper-
A screen sort of like the tab screen that opens up when you press M. Shows your position in the world and either shows a procedurally generated map of all of the biomes and their borders that you've visited by mapping everything within a 50 meter radius of the player as they travel, or if that's not possible then it just shows a map of all of the biomes as soon as it's built

Comments

• NevercallmebynameNevercallmebyname Join Date: 2015-08-15 Member: 207155Members
    Yes please. I am very hopeful that this is what they are actually going for.
  • chanster115chanster115 texas Join Date: 2015-08-12 Member: 207087Members
  • RadavvadraRadavvadra South Africa Join Date: 2015-08-15 Member: 207189Members
    edited August 2015
    I read on the dev tracker that they are planning to make fragments easier to find.

Also I dont like any game ending win condition in this sort of game, the end of game scenarios in Fallout 3 and New Vegas annoyed me to no end since I couldn't RP properly without leading to endgame which actually ruined a lot of the fun for me.

What I would like in the storyline is finding answer to what made your ship crash and maybe finding some awesome late game tech that's associated with it.
  • PIJAWAPIJAWA BANGLADESZ Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207208Members
    Subnautica is one of my faworite projects in this year its oryginal, beutiful i have fev sugestions what i would like to see in this game

- you can add some weather changes - storm, rein etc.
    - i think ecosystem of this game must be expand, player can get some of the materials from animals
    - more midle animals in ecosystem
    - more big plant eather
    - more big meat eather
    - plant with floats on the water like - wather lilies ( player can walk on it )
    - aurora can be a place where we can get bether equipment in extremli hard enviroment
    - more crafting items ( especialy Backpack )
    - energy form reactor can charge gear
    - add some furniture
    - add some light that can be put at te botom of the sea and be powered from the station
    - player must have purpouse to expand so i think te best method to meake people colect resorses is posibility to evacuate the planet in rocket space ship of his own made

Best of luck
  • 7R1P0D7R1P0D Canada Join Date: 2015-08-15 Member: 207170Members
    edited August 2015
    Radavvadra wrote: »
    Also I dont like any game ending win condition in this sort of game, the end of game scenarios in Fallout 3 and New Vegas annoyed me to no end since I couldn't RP properly without leading to endgame which actually ruined a lot of the fun for me.

Yeah man I completely understand that, which is the main reason I made it so you had to build a landing pad AND push a button on the landing pad once you've built everything required to win and end the game, which would make it extremely easy to just keep going on and playing any way you want to without completing that objective even if you happen to have built all the stuff required to win, just by not pushing the button.

If the main thing that's bugging you is the fact that you feel like you're abandoning the mission if you don't press the button, then maybe they could have the AI voice that says something "well done, the base is complete, first colonists scheduled to arrive in 1.25 years" and have it give out any steam achievements there or whatever, then if you push the button on the landing pad, you see a time lapse effect, then the ship landing and the game is over
  • RadavvadraRadavvadra South Africa Join Date: 2015-08-15 Member: 207189Members
    7R1P0D wrote: »
    Radavvadra wrote: »

Yeah man I completely understand that, which is the main reason I made it so you had to build a landing pad AND push a button on the landing pad once you've built everything required to win and end the game, which would make it extremely easy to just keep going on and playing any way you want to without completing that objective even if you happen to have built all the stuff required to win, just by not pushing the button.

If the main thing that's bugging you is the fact that you feel like you're abandoning the mission if you don't press the button, then maybe they could have the AI voice that says something "well done, the base is complete, first colonists scheduled to arrive in 1.25 years" and have it give out any steam achievements there or whatever, then if you push the button on the landing pad, you see a time lapse effect, then the ship landing and the game is over

Yeah that would be a good compromise. :)
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    edited August 2015
    This thread right here, combined with 04Leonhardt's Aurora_Restoration ideas could provide the entire game for us all. I'd love if half of all these ideas were included.