Does anything ever respawn?

7R1P0D7R1P0D Canada Join Date: 2015-08-15 Member: 207170Members
I'm mostly asking because I'm playing survival mode, and am literally running out of fish to eat unless I take like 5 minute swims to places I've never been before

It's gotten to the point where it's almost depressing swimming through an empty wasteland that used to be filled with great materials and life. Not to mention the whole starving to death thing :|

Comments

• crane476crane476 United States, Tx Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206850Members
    Fish don't respawn. However, I found a great place to find fish, as well as salt and quartz. If you go to the sparse reef biome, there are TONS of spade fish which are even better than peepers. I have several lockers full of them and there doesn't seem to be any end in sight.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I do not know if fish respawn but seriously, they should.
    Otherwise you will eventually run out.

I also agree I prefer (to) many fish, rather then a fauna wasteland. I experience the same problem where I can swim for quite a while and not see fishies.
  • RadavvadraRadavvadra South Africa Join Date: 2015-08-15 Member: 207189Members
    edited August 2015
    I do not know if fish respawn but seriously, they should.
    Otherwise you will eventually run out.

I also agree I prefer (to) many fish, rather then a fauna wasteland. I experience the same problem where I can swim for quite a while and not see fishies.

I think corals and plants should all respawn too.

On a related note I think power cells/batteries should not despawn when switched out and instead are returned to inventory to be recharged or recycled for their copper and silicone content.

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    well from a realistic point obviously stuff needs to grow, live, die etc including fish and coral.

But days already go quite fast in the game, I see no reason why the same rebirth cycle isnt sped up.
  • TrystTryst UK Join Date: 2015-05-03 Member: 204138Members
    I hope at some point, they introduce hydroponics so we can grow veggies. A constant diet of fried peeper can get quite boring.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I think I remember reading that a long term plan is to implement an ecosystem into the game that the player can modify (or destroy), making one of the long term goals to repair the damage cause by the Aurora and the radtion, as well as make it possible for long term survival on the planet.

Something like:

You ate all the fish? The predators will now move to other areas, making them more hostile.

You killed all the predetors? Fish will populate so heavily, larger predators will move in.

Bring in other plants/fish/predetors to restore balance and get the ecosystem stable again.

Things like that to keep everything changing. No idea where I read this (it was a while ago), and it may not even be in the cards anymore
  • 7R1P0D7R1P0D Canada Join Date: 2015-08-15 Member: 207170Members
    Benson wrote: »
    Things like that to keep everything changing. No idea where I read this (it was a while ago), and it may not even be in the cards anymore
    I think some of it is already implemented. There used to be like 5-10 stalkers in that kelp forest I filmed, and now there's only one

I didn't kill any of them so the rest either starved to death without me seeing their bodies or swam away (and I did see a few stalkers swimming through the safe shallows to other parts of the map)

• Humboldt_SquidHumboldt_Squid Italy Join Date: 2015-07-13 Member: 206135Members
    edited August 2015
    While I understand the reasoning behind not making stuff respawn I think it strains suspension of disbelief the idea that a single person could overfish an area to a total wasteland by simply meeting his minimum dietary requirements. The various biomes are already pretty small (though I seem to remember that this will be changed eventually?), I feel like that some amount of respawning fish and predators is necessary.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2015
    This seems promising.

It was always in the original pitch for Subnautica, being able to not just destroy the habitat, but to also repair, foster and create - as that is the primary goal of the game, really, from my understanding of the narrative.
  • The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
    Breeding chambers. 'Nuff said.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    I too would also like MOAR fish
    Coral reefs on earth are totally freaking infested with fish.
    Your Shallow Reef on Subnautica Planet however, has a couple peepers and a garryfish. Just hanging out. And the one Gasopod that swings by now and then.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    What I want is for every "area" (whatever that is), to contain a predefined number (and max) of each type of plant and animal. (For example, 50 peepers, up to a max of 100).

For performance reasons, the game would only show a dozen or so of those to the player. However, if one is killed for whatever reason, the game would spawn one of the remaining ones back (out of player view).

Also, as long as there is a "viable number" (like 10) left of any species, they would periodically reproduce (a few times a day), and increase their number based on some predefined growth rate. So, as long as you don't eat all of them, they would survive.

P.S. For bonus points, make the reproduction formula more complicated by basing it on predators and prey (food).
    Racer1 wrote: »
    What I want is for every "area" (whatever that is), to contain a predefined number (and max) of each type of plant and animal. (For example, 50 peepers, up to a max of 100).

For performance reasons, the game would only show a dozen or so of those to the player. However, if one is killed for whatever reason, the game would spawn one of the remaining ones back (out of player view).

Also, as long as there is a "viable number" (like 10) left of any species, they would periodically reproduce (a few times a day), and increase their number based on some predefined growth rate. So, as long as you don't eat all of them, they would survive.

P.S. For bonus points, make the reproduction formula more complicated by basing it on predators and prey (food).

This entire idea now has my full support.
  • HeadHunterHeadHunter The Pitt Join Date: 2015-08-27 Member: 207530Members
    The_Shark wrote: »
    I'd like to see the aquarium used for this. If you have two of the same kind of fish in it (and at least one available slot), it will spawn another fish in the tank after a certain amount of time. This should be frequently enough that a properly-stocked aquarium (or two at most) should provide the necessary fish to sustain the player.

Salt, on the other hand...
    HeadHunter wrote: »
    I'd like to see the aquarium used for this. If you have two of the same kind of fish in it (and at least one available slot), it will spawn another fish in the tank after a certain amount of time. This should be frequently enough that a properly-stocked aquarium (or two at most) should provide the necessary fish to sustain the player.

Exactly.
  • ZourinZourin White Castle Join Date: 2015-02-27 Member: 201577Members
    probably best would be an external seabase 'habitat' structure that attracts small fish and allows them to repopulate, rather than an internal base item like the aquarium. Placing several around the reefs would allow nearby peepers, hoopfish, garyfish, and airsacs to shelter/breed. Or place them in the kelp forests to repopulate hoverfish, etc.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    Zourin wrote: »
    probably best would be an external seabase 'habitat' structure that attracts small fish and allows them to repopulate, rather than an internal base item like the aquarium. Placing several around the reefs would allow nearby peepers, hoopfish, garyfish, and airsacs to shelter/breed. Or place them in the kelp forests to repopulate hoverfish, etc.
    I like Zourin's idea - it implies that the current ecosystem is dying (perhaps due to the Aurora crash, perhaps something else). And it is up to us to help stabilize/revitalize the system.

I'm all for external.
    I like Zourin's idea - it implies that the current ecosystem is dying (perhaps due to the Aurora crash, perhaps something else). And it is up to us to help stabilize/revitalize the system.

Adding a bit of story to it just quadruples my support for this idea.
  • ZourinZourin White Castle Join Date: 2015-02-27 Member: 201577Members
    edited August 2015

I'm all for external.

Adding a bit of story to it just quadruples my support for this idea.

If nothing else, it's one less pile of things to cram inside of a base, and you can keep what's outside the base livelier, and it can be as large as you like and probably doesn't require power. Sort of a bird-feeder for lonely fish.
  • HeadHunterHeadHunter The Pitt Join Date: 2015-08-27 Member: 207530Members
    I like the idea of a semi-external thing, yes. A base module per se, but neither fully enclosed nor wide open. An "artificial" reef surrounded by some sort of cage to keep predators out. And a means for the player to enter if harvesting fish is desired.