Introducing, The Salad Module!

Duff_McDugginDuff_McDuggin Join Date: 2015-07-02 Member: 205964Members
So I was strolling through my daily dose of science news and came across some articles on astronauts eating space grown veggies for the first time. It looks like something that could be used in the game or maybe just inspire other ideas. Really the one looks like Nasa stole images from the devs private experimental file. That is a Gen room and an adapted I tube. Anyways, what are your thoughts on this or other ideas from growing veggies under water? I dont think this has gotten enough attention yet. Lets hear it.wx1jdrf51cui.jpg
b7s6z6alhbdz.jpg

Comments

• HamsterIVHamsterIV San Diego CA Join Date: 2015-08-12 Member: 207066Members
    I like the idea of more sustainable living at higher levels of the game. Perhaps base structures for aqua culture like outdoor grow-up pens.
    Aqualine.png
    Imagine building one of these, throwing in two Gary Fish and playing soft jazz. In a few days come back and there are 20 Gary Fish swimming around waiting for you to harvest.

Under water planting of Acid mushrooms would also be nice, Sea fans too if they are made edible again.
  • ZixinusZixinus Hungary Join Date: 2015-07-22 Member: 206338Members
    I am a huge fan of the idea. It would make sense, especially for a ship with the goal of terraforming. Where would the human waste go? Get recycled of course trough this way. Have a machine turn the waste into stuff plants can use (while cleaning it of anything that can hurt he plant or the end-consumer), have plants use them. They'd have to make those nutrition cubes somehow.

From a balance standpoint, they could grow genetically engineered algae. The algae can then be turned to be used for other things, putting more steps into the process that can result in different results or just be eaten by itself.

It would definitely be good to have something more to put in bases.
  • Duff_McDugginDuff_McDuggin Join Date: 2015-07-02 Member: 205964Members
    Sustainable living. yes. I have given some thought to this. you can start cheaply growing plants and fishes indoors in smaller quantities, then through upgrades or research, you can move to outdoor fish and plant farms. Soft jazz could come from an audio player fragment which increases quantity and quality of fish and plants.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    Zixinus wrote: »
    Where would the human waste go? Get recycled of course trough this way.

Yyyyyyeah

I'd rather not have a pooping mechanic, thanks.

After having read the book The Martian, Zixinus idea is interesting, and would be cool to be able to be so technical in a game, but for this game, I agree with 04leonhardt. A pooping mechanic is something I can live without.
  • ZixinusZixinus Hungary Join Date: 2015-07-22 Member: 206338Members
    I was not suggesting a poop mechanic, not seriously. I don't want to add s**t to the game. :D

I am speaking about that in terms of how it is supposed to make sense in terms of equipment for terraforming effort. In that case they'd have a serious problem with where all the poop would go.

The player could have a sub-machine that turns decomposing food into fertilizer for the plants

Certain growable plants could have other functions, like alternative resources for medkits or super-water. I read an article about some sort of gel that is basically water, and is in a gel-like form in the stomach that always releases precisely as much water into it as the body needs. I can't remember any name mentioned.
    well your suggestions are legit. I would like to see some kind of recource recycling of that nature. It is in the end though, a matter of how much small detail the devs want to put in. Frankly the rotted fish that does not get eaten in time should be used as a fertilizer.
  • PajamaJamsPajamaJams Boulder, CO Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207121Members
    I'm also a huge fan of the idea, but I have another idea for it. Maybe have a big room that can breed peepers and airsacs.