Animal Repopulation and Random Creature Encounters: Ocean Currents

04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
Ocean Currents would be a great addition to the game. Invisible, underwater rivers that can carry critters long distances.

First off, it would be a natural hazard, sweeping away the player until they swim out of the current, potentially carrying them to a dangerous area. For example, a current running through a Safe Shallows biome could drag the player into a nearby Kelp Forest biome, where they can be attacked by Bleeders or Stalkers.

Secondly, it would allow local fish populations an immersion friendly way to repopulate, should the player over fish in those areas. So a current near your base would regularly deposit new creatures once in a while, so the player will never permanently run out of food.

Third, it could randomly transport hostile creatures into areas they would not normally be, like pushing a Stalker into the middle of a Safe Shallows, or a Bone Shark into a Kelp Forest.

The Currents would be more narrow, but move at a higher speed in shallow areas like kelp forests and Shallows, and would be wider and slower, in large, open areas like Dunes or Grassy Plateaus.
Currents would be constant, permanent features of the map, and would not really change, unless a new map was developed.

Comments

• AndroidJazzAndroidJazz Ireland Join Date: 2015-08-10 Member: 206981Members
    I agree. sounds cool.
  • QuaxoQuaxo Join Date: 2015-08-10 Member: 206984Members
    While I do like the idea, that's not really how ocean currents work.

Also, dragging hostile creatures into the "Safe Shallows" kind of contradicts the point of having safe shallows in the first place.

They do need to come up with a way to repopulate the map though. An oceanic world of this size being overfished by a single person? Impossible. Perhaps with a population in the thousands, but not a single survivor.