275 Feedback

2»

Comments

• _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    actually performance is what we have been working on and this patch includes a slurry of items. You have to realize at this point there is no OMG or SAVIOR fix for on going performance issues. However, we are fixing many small items all over the game/engine that equate to nice things, but that takes time. As far as balance goes I am always interested in hearing peoples thoughts so send me a message or email. We've had some neat thoughts on webs lately that we may look at adding in, but all balance changes have to go through charlie for approval too.
    Yeah I know, it's great. Just don't let the big thing keep you from continueing this. About balance, it would be great to make webs, babblers, stab and whips meaningful. FT and Exos could need some love too. My biggest wish would be to "slow down" early game. Too many times a round is / seems decided 5-10 minutes into the game. I rarely see late tech (from both teams, clashing furiously). I wouldn't mind early game beeing more of a build up phase. Right now it's often just rush in and contain Alien quickly or loose for Marine.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    Mephilles wrote: »
    Martigen wrote: »
    There's something.... going on with spectator mode.

As comm, bringing up the map and clicking on it with mouse takes you to that spot instantly.
    As spec, the view glides from where you are to that spot instead, and this is stuttering as it moves. Further once the view lands it pauses for half a second, then jumps a few pixels to the side, then centres again and stops. This is repeatable with any click on the map.

@Martigen this is a ns2+ option. in MISC you just scroll to the far bottom to the option called "spectator overhead smoothing" and set it to "instant"
    Well, it's not really an ns2+ option, this is in vanilla, I just added a toggle to disable this new functionality that was added this patch (since it was requested).
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    I wish there is a "community system" on the way.
    Something that can link NS2 players together and organize (teaching, training etc). Ultimately bring more players that actually stay.

Fixing bugs/things + adding maps is Ok but so far I'm afraid to say : If it's like any other game the scenario will be the same as any other game.

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I wish there is a "community system" on the way.
    Something that can link NS2 players together and organize (teaching, training etc). Ultimately bring more players that actually stay.

Fixing bugs/things + adding maps is Ok but so far I'm afraid to say : If it's like any other game the scenario will be the same as any other game.

We're working on more learning and training tools for new players, as well as incentives for new players to actually complete them. We're well aware of the difficult learning curve of ns2. The real problem is not the difficulty of the game, but in convincing new players that the game is worth the effort it takes to learn it.
  • natostanconatostanco Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81912Members
    If you implemented a matchmaking system with ranking and leave penalty maybe people would stop complaining about performance because they would just play 6v6 :p
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    natostanco wrote: »
    If you implemented a matchmaking system with ranking and leave penalty maybe people would stop complaining about performance because they would just play 6v6 :p

I would rather see something like nosgoth, which also has a small playerbase, where there are pub games and then ranked league games with proper matchmaking.
  • DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    @natostanco That's not realistic with our current numbers. Maybe one day.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Strange bug. I didn't wait until all mod are re-downloaded and started a local server on a official map.

The game was trying to download the mod and failed several time with the message : "unable to unzip xxx mod". I disconnect waited until all mods are available and retried. It worked.

The mod (a map) wasn't necessary for the game to run.

Maybe something to look into.
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Steam went down last night. With the ability to run a backup server for mods that is usually no problem but last night The Thirsty Onos servers couldn't load any mods during Steam's downtime. The mod backup server was running and reported downloads.
  • matsomatso Master of Patches Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7000Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, NS2 Community Developer
    edited August 2015
    SupaFred wrote: »
    Steam went down last night. With the ability to run a backup server for mods that is usually no problem but last night The Thirsty Onos servers couldn't load any mods during Steam's downtime. The mod backup server was running and reported downloads.

Backup servers are there to ensure that clients have somewhere to download the mods a server uses; servers don't use them.

Servers uses steam to ensure that their mods are uptodate, but should not really be affected by steam being up or not (possibly there may be an increase in map-change time if while the server tries to connect to steam and has to time out first).

• SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    @matso Of course, I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote that. Anyway, I've only seen it once and it might have been caused by some changes I did on the server so let's ignore it for now.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    btw the texture on the train model in monorail on descent is messed up. (get those weird textures also if I use the same prop on a different map)
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Mephilles wrote: »
    btw the texture on the train model in monorail on descent is messed up. (get those weird textures also if I use the same prop on a different map)

This is known. It appears a texture got corrupted in the build process.
  • DaphistoDaphisto Hive Janitor Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8917Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    natostanco wrote: »

Unfortunately It's hard enough to find someone who will go commander on a 40 man server, let alone a 12 man server. :( Otherwise, I agree with you.
  • sensen Join Date: 2015-06-06 Member: 205292Members
    I'm not sure if this should go here or some bug reporting section. Here are a few issues I've noticed since 275.

* When shooting a skulk the death sound effect will sometimes play (not always but frequently enough to confuse and frustrate me) when I've shot the skulk down to only around 80% and then again when I actually kill him. This is particularly frustrating if the skulk has jumped out of my line of sight as the sound plays the first time.

* A couple of sound stuck issues: a) sometimes when dead and watching a fade in first person while waiting to respawn, if the fade is Blinking when I switch to being in an egg the blink sound continues for another 5-30 seconds. b) Sometimes after firing a bullet or two from my assault rifle the sound of shooting an entire clip plays.

* This could just be faulty memory on my part, but when I am biting an RT with another skulk I hear the other skulks bites but there is no animation, the skulk just sits there perfectly still. I thought I used to see the biting animation pre-275.

* Good luck tracking this one down. A handful of times on various maps I have died to nothing with no enemies present, no hazards like pits or lava and just the skull in the feed as cause of death, no weapon or killer credited.

FX6300
    GTX 670
    Win 7
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @sen If you could get a video of the skulk death sound prematurely occurring (and not just the pain sound) that would be very helpful, along with your techsupport.zip file generated by your techsupport.exe which is located in your NS2 directory. I was unable to reproduce those results, myself.

The fade sound playing after death during spectating is a known bug. Same with the rifle firing bug sound.
    The momentary frozen biting animation is somewhat a low priority
    And the unexplained dying is known on the map refinery, and while many have looked into it - it is very difficult to track down.

Thanks for the feedback!
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    is there a bugfix for randomly switching weapons while firing?
    Wheeee wrote: »
    is there a bugfix for randomly switching weapons while firing?

That's a thing? That's only happened to me when I fat-finger my mouse button: rubbing the mouse wheel accidentally while shooting.
    Might be a server/mod thing, but sometimes I'll be firing and it'll randomly switch to axe/pistol for no reason.
    @Wheeee I haven't seen that. Where do you usually play?
    I'll try to remember to record which server it happens on and the circumstances next time I play.

I almost always play on the NA servers (ibis, mcg, dmd, etc)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @Wheeee I've never seen, nor heard of that... o.0
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Wheeee wrote: »
    Might be a server/mod thing, but sometimes I'll be firing and it'll randomly switch to axe/pistol for no reason.

Never had this happen, but have had my m1 not respond soooo many times when lerking and spiking. Will be spiking, go in for a bite, m1, and nothing happens. Spikes stop, bite doesnt happen. At first thought it was an input thing w/ my mouse, but has happened in the past year on 3 different mice from 2 different manufacturers over several ns2 builds. Yes, I had energy!

Anyways, I cant reproduce it, just something that happens sometimes, perhaps the 2 issues are related?