Ideas for "workbenched" Items

Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members
edited July 2015 in Ideas and Suggestions
Hi there.

I've been thinking about some of the tools and i had some ideas for new upgrades. Also i think there are a few with much higher utility than others. Some simply outclass others or solve multiple problems at once saving the most valuable resource in the game - Inventory space.

The first one would be the Heat Blade. Combined with the Stillsuit it's makes sure you're always well fed. I kinda defeats the idea of the survival modes only two additional difficulties, hunger and thirst, because the player simply doesn't need to care wether to go with or without food rations. It's merely minor annoyance to halt for a moment and cook some fish on the way.
The Heat Blade takes up one inventory slot and also serves as a knife. It breaks really fast but is (imo) the most useful tool in the game.

Aside from any logical question (how to cook a small fish in one swipe but not do more damage to bigger ones or burn creepvines?) i think the knife is a bad choice for the base-item of the instant cooker. I do think there should be a portable device to make food on the go, but it should take at least 4 inventory slots and run on batteries. An upgrade for the propulsion/repuslion-tree would be fitting or an overload function for the stasis rifle, frying smaller creatures.

An alternative second Knife upgrade could be one that deals more damage but is crafted with very soft metals (like silver). Soft metals can be sharpened to a higher extend but go dull very fast. It would break rather quick and should only be used in combat for this reason.

The Stasis Rifle in it's current state is very powerful. It's an AOE Stun that lasts for a ridiculous long time and costs far to less energy to justify it. It enables the player to deal with several predators at the same time, offensive- and defensively. It's also the only handheld tool that can deal with reapers.

The workbench related idea in this case would be an overload-upgrade to make it a single-target stungun. The old Stasis rifle would still create bubbles to stun - or at least slow - enemies and the new one would only hit the target in the crosshair. The difference would be the duration of the paralysis and the speed the projectile is launched. In case of the Stungun it'd hit instantly and stun for a very long time. The old Stasis Rifle would stun for a shorter period but be cheaper energy-wise and more "precise"... overall easier to use but less effective.
Maybe the Stasis Rifle could be also downgraded to affect reapers less or not at all.

Builder Upgrades. I can't believe no one else wrote something about it - at least i didn't read anything so far.

It's simple. Slap a diamond on it to give it's building lasers a better lense for faster building.

That's all for now. I'd like to hear what you think about these suggestions.

Comments

• solar71solar71 usa Join Date: 2015-06-06 Member: 205276Members
    I agree with you about the cooking knife.
    It should be removed entirely. not a good idea or concept in my opinion.
    The sharp knife I like. Should do a little more damage though.
    The heat knife should be replaced by something else, like maybe......... Imagine this.
    You have a battery connected to your knife so when you hit something with it, it temporarily stuns it like a stun gun.
    Not AOE just single target. Target takes damage as normal but also gets a slight electric shock.

bye :)
  • Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members
    That's a pretty nice idea! If it's okay with you, i'll add it to the main post.
  • surelbsurelb UNK Join Date: 2015-07-27 Member: 206435Members
    I agree the heat knife should go, it makes it less survivalist and more like a day at the hot dog stands in New York. The stasis rifle is a mixed bag. I hardly use it in my play-through. It's slow, cumbersome, and really overpowered. I'd rather make it into a heat distraction device. Combine it with say a floater, heat up the floater, throw it towards the reapers and have a brief chance at evading them that way.
  • Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members
    Somebody posted an idea the other day about the flare as a distraction tool, i think that's pretty nice as well. Heat distraction is a thing they should definitely consider.
  • DuomDuom France Join Date: 2015-08-18 Member: 207267Members
    I like the idea for the stasis gun : make that it slows the target at first and after a costly upgrade stun it