275 Feedback

MartigenMartigen Australia Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2714Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Reinforced - Onos
Figure we'd need one of these anyway, so lets start it off!

1) Chat changes

The new '[C]' and '[Rookie]' tags are nice, but can we return to having these lines colored as well? As someone else said on the server tonight, they know to pay attention to yellow lines because they're commander speak. Yes the '[C]' is yellow but amongst a flood of chat it's harder to pick it out quickly. Same goes for rookie chat no longer being green.

2) Font change on loading screens:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=490423166

The text is about half the size that it used to be. Unfortunately don't have a before shot, just imagine it... twice as big. It's a small thing, but I liked it how it was before. I'm guessing this may only affect >1080p res players. I play at 2560x1600.

Incidentally, I know UI scaling is on the cards in future updates. In-game I absolutely love the current size of the UI at 2560x1600. The map can be a bit small at times, but I wouldn't change a thing from the way it scales at the moment. At 4K, which I've tested previously, it definitely needs scaling as you know. Anyway, when UI scaling is implemented it would be lovely to be able to enable/disable the scaling or even set the scale factor directly.

Apart from this and a few hours of play, very smooth.

Comments

• CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Feedback: I just fell out of the ready room of derelict, maphole in the desert / sand on the left (coming out of the indoors).
    Was during mapvote / change so maybe map behaving different then normal (not sure if u can walk around there normally).
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2015
    CCTEE wrote: »
    Feedback: I just fell out of the ready room of derelict, maphole in the desert / sand on the left (coming out of the indoors).
    Was during mapvote / change so maybe map behaving different then normal (not sure if u can walk around there normally).

Sounds more like the old "getting no more server physic updates and prediction taking over issue"
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    CCTEE wrote: »

lol yea you're not supposed to be able to get out there. Spectate teamjoin is supposed to stop you... can't believe I didn't think about that.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited July 2015
    When you say you wouldn't change a thing about how it scales, and seeing your resolution, what you actually mean is, you wouldn't change how it DOESN'T scale :D

Which is why the text looks smaller in the loading screen for you, right now there's no scaling up past 1280p. It's supposed to be a bit bigger.
  • MartigenMartigen Australia Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2714Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Reinforced - Onos
    Mendasp wrote: »
    When you say you wouldn't change a thing about how it scales, and seeing your resolution, what you actually mean is, you wouldn't change how it DOESN'T scale :D

Which is why the text looks smaller in the loading screen for you, right now there's no scaling up past 1280p. It's supposed to be a bit bigger.
    Er, yes :)

Pre this patch the text was larger on the loading screens, though.

On Derelict: really minor, but here it is anyway: you can run into (or rather jump into) and get stuck briefly in the bobcat models (the mini forklift vehicles).

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Martigen wrote: »
    On Derelict: really minor, but here it is anyway: you can run into (or rather jump into) and get stuck briefly in the bobcat models (the mini forklift vehicles).

We're investigating this now. Local servers aren't affected, but for whatever reason, that forklift is getting weird collision issues on servers.
  • roxxkattroxxkatt Join Date: 2014-12-28 Member: 200431Members
    is 275 even out yet?
    wasnt 275 the big one?

i dont see any steam community announcements or any sort of recent news
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    roxxkatt wrote: »
    is 275 even out yet?
    wasnt 275 the big one?

i dont see any steam community announcements or any sort of recent news

No this is not the BIG ONE, we spread out plans over the next few patches. As far as advertising, its on steam, blog, email, twitter, FB and announcements have been sent. Sorry you havent seen them :)

• _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2015
    No balance changes on the horizon though... The big one is not so exciting for me. Balance and performance patches I need.
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    _INTER_ wrote: »
    No balance changes on the horizon though... The big one is not so exciting for me. Balance and performance patches I need.
    actually performance is what we have been working on and this patch includes a slurry of items. You have to realize at this point there is no OMG or SAVIOR fix for on going performance issues. However, we are fixing many small items all over the game/engine that equate to nice things, but that takes time. As far as balance goes I am always interested in hearing peoples thoughts so send me a message or email. We've had some neat thoughts on webs lately that we may look at adding in, but all balance changes have to go through charlie for approval too.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    BeigeAlert wrote: »

We're combining fades and onos into one, best-of-both-worlds class. Blink-stomp is huge hit with the PT team.

I'd prefer huge Babblers :tongue:
  • PoNeHPoNeH Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58801Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    First bug I noticed: Left/right mouse clicking not cycling through players in spec.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow

We're combining fades and onos into one, best-of-both-worlds class. Blink-stomp is huge hit with the PT team.

Can we have Onos Xeno for the ultimate nuke?
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow

Even better. http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/131562/onos-mount/p1
  • MartigenMartigen Australia Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2714Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Reinforced - Onos
    Loving the new menu screens and music. A suggestion for new installs/next update: put them both to Random. Mine were set to default, which appears to be derelict atm, but such beauty shouldn't go to waste for those who don't delve into the options (and most people probably don't).
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow

PSHHHH

Replace contaminate with the Babbler King.

Or even better, GORGEzilla!

Mendasp wrote: »
    Quick update -- the kill log *is* too small at 1600p, but NS2+ fixes this. I forgot about this until I just played on a server without NS2+...
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    on what key is the secondary draw feature as spectator? there is the one that is one the same key as leap and stuff but where is the drawing that sticks to the map surface?
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter

It exists in NS2: turbo, a mod Daan forced me to let him make (it includes a couple of other balance atrocities).
    It's totally awesome btw. I fully advocate for its inclusion as a 4th hive upgrade :P
  • AlienJuAlienJu Join Date: 2005-04-07 Member: 47732Members
    If you sit under the big truck (at the end of alleyway going to garage) you can see through walls behind the wheels.
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    There is one menu song missing. I know I heared it as we had tram as background during the beta. The background remained the same for some builds, but the music changed. Are you sure you integrated EVERY music track yet? :cold_sweat:
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    Is it intended that props in the editor are not shining blue anymore when selected? I personally think this is rather confusing
  • alsteralster Join Date: 2003-08-06 Member: 19124Members
    Long standing bug. If someone joins a server and doesn't move then you join, you will spawn in the same position and see the inside of the other player model.

NS2 doesn't check or do anything if another player spawns in the same position in the ready room.
    There's something.... going on with spectator mode.

As comm, bringing up the map and clicking on it with mouse takes you to that spot instantly.
    As spec, the view glides from where you are to that spot instead, and this is stuttering as it moves. Further once the view lands it pauses for half a second, then jumps a few pixels to the side, then centres again and stops. This is repeatable with any click on the map.

• StardogStardog Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32448Members
    WasabiOne wrote: »
    actually performance is what we have been working on and this patch includes a slurry of items. You have to realize at this point there is no OMG or SAVIOR fix for on going performance issues. However, we are fixing many small items all over the game/engine that equate to nice things, but that takes time. As far as balance goes I am always interested in hearing peoples thoughts so send me a message or email. We've had some neat thoughts on webs lately that we may look at adding in, but all balance changes have to go through charlie for approval too.
    Reducing the model polycount would help. I jumped in a 32 player server in the mad rush after the update, and just being in the RR killed the framerate. The marine meshes should be decimated to the 4k triangles range, if possible.
    Stardog wrote: »
    Reducing the model polycount would help. I jumped in a 32 player server in the mad rush after the update, and just being in the RR killed the framerate. The marine meshes should be decimated to the 4k triangles range, if possible.

Actually, it's not polycount that should be worried about -- spark is quite good at dealing with really high polygon counts. What really kills frame rates is lights and shadows.

Also, keep in mind that ns2 is designed to be played with 6-8 players per team, not 16. It's not exactly fair to us for you to criticize performance on servers that have been hacked to accommodate FAR more players than the game was designed to handle.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Stardog wrote: »

Actually, it's not polycount that should be worried about -- spark is quite good at dealing with really high polygon counts. What really kills frame rates is lights and shadows.

Also, keep in mind that ns2 is designed to be played with 6-8 players per team, not 16. It's not exactly fair to us for you to criticize performance on servers that have been hacked to accommodate FAR more players than the game was designed to handle.

And yet, those servers now handle almost 50% of the remaining community. The few games I've played on them weren't less balanced than on more 'regular' servers despite the game not being designed at first for this amount of slots. Things are moving.
  • matsomatso Master of Patches Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7000Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, NS2 Community Developer
    edited July 2015
    Up until 275, the render thread has never been the bottleneck in actual gameplay; when the frames got low, the UpdateWorld thread was always been the culprit.

Which means that the render thread have never been optimized.

With 275, it may finally be worth looking at the renderer thread... plenty of plans, not much time :-/
    Martigen wrote: »
    There's something.... going on with spectator mode.

As comm, bringing up the map and clicking on it with mouse takes you to that spot instantly.
    As spec, the view glides from where you are to that spot instead, and this is stuttering as it moves. Further once the view lands it pauses for half a second, then jumps a few pixels to the side, then centres again and stops. This is repeatable with any click on the map.

@Martigen this is a ns2+ option. in MISC you just scroll to the far bottom to the option called "spectator overhead smoothing" and set it to "instant"