Mouse Positioning Off According to Resolution

Nathan_FosterNathan_Foster 127.0.0.1 Join Date: 2015-07-12 Member: 206117Members
Hello all.

For a while now I've noticed that when I attempt to set my game to full-screen (across just one or two of my screens), the cursor's visual and virtual positions are not aligned. My screens are rather old by modern standards, and are not suitable for serious gaming....so it may not be a wide-spread problem. However, I have noticed a relationship between how the image stretches and where the cursor registers as opposed to where it actually is. If I had to guess, I'd say the distance in pixels of how far the image stretches in full screen mode (for me, at least) is the exact if not almost precise distance between where the cursor registers and where it seems to be. When I stretch the full-screen image across both my monitors (thank you Eyefinity), the cursor's position is off both vertically as normal, and horizontally, based on the same pixel distances. From what I can see, anyhow.

It's not really a BAD bug; certainly not anything so serious that it prevents me from playing. But has anyone else experienced this? If so, what are your experiences and did you find a work-around? The cursor position differences for me are so great I accidentally deleted my game when trying to launch it yesterday.

Comments

• ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    We had a series of these for various resolutions, what are you running the game at so we can check it out?
  • Nathan_FosterNathan_Foster 127.0.0.1 Join Date: 2015-07-12 Member: 206117Members
    My screens individually are 17"; the HP L1706. Old and not very suitable for gaming. However, each screen's max resolution is 1280 x 1024 and when expanded across the two, 2560 x 1024. I set the game's resolution to it's max; 1280 x 800.
  • XenoDragonXenoDragon Canada Join Date: 2015-06-21 Member: 205644Members
    I don't have any experience with double monitors so I can't say our problems are the same but my resolution resulted in the same effect if I launched the game in fullscreen mode. The workaround that did the trick for me was to launch windowed, then use ALT+ENTER to fullscreen the game afterwards
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    edited July 2015
    Ahh, okay will try fullscreen.

Edit: july 15
    Tried in fullscreen windows 10, on the right monitor at 1280x800, 1280x720, and 1280x1024. No dice.

Admittedly my desktop is weird shaped ( 2 16x9 monitors with one vertical) so that might be the issue. Is this present on experimental or stable?

in case it matters, what video card are you using?

• XenoDragonXenoDragon Canada Join Date: 2015-06-21 Member: 205644Members
    edited July 2015
    AMD Radeon HD 7660G + HD 7500/7600 Dual Graphics which ONLY lets me use 1280x720 resolution. If I launch fullscreen its always bugged, so I ALWAYS have to select windowed first at the launch configuration fire it up and then after I see the main menu I can ALT+ENTER to fullscreen.

EDIT: I tried to emulate your situation but my laptop dosnt like the idea of running subnautica through both the display and my monitor at the same time XD
  • RatskroneRatskrone DE Join Date: 2015-04-05 Member: 203005Members
    Confirming this issue running with AMD Radeon 7000 series on a 1280x720 or 1280x800 resolution.
    Getting an anamorph picture with a displaced mouse cursor.

Note: Happens only in experimental build, i'm getting a normal picture running stable build.
    Also, the experimental build worked fine about a month ago...so it's due to some changes in an update (around build 17xxx i guess). Forcing the game into using DX9 instead of DX11 (by using -force-d3d9 in steam launch options) resolves it for me.
    okay, my machine is running an nvidia card so, that may be the difference.

Does using -force-d3d9 work for other people?
    Figured out a reproduction. put a card in here: https://trello.com/c/9p626cYI/1116-21296-multi-monitor-fullscreen-causes-mouse-to-offset-wrongly.

Basically, you need to run fullscreen on a monitor at a different aspect ratio than the game and bad times happen.