Story Time - Subnautica

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond

imageStory Time - Subnautica

Tom Jubert joins the Subnautica Dev Team FTL: Faster Than Light, The Talos Principle, The Swapper, and more: Tom Jubert has been weaving great narratives into games for a while now....

Read the full story here

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Bump to wake up forum auto-post robot
  • SkizomeuhSkizomeuh France Join Date: 2015-04-29 Member: 203939Members
    Wake up you lazy robot!

This is a really nice surprise. I didn't know he was involved in all these recent gems. They all have this subtle approach to fuse with the gameplay, to not being "in your face" scenario, to let the player involve in it as far as he wants. This writing approach seems perfectly fit with the kind of game Subnautica is.

Go on, surprise me!

tumblr_mfpjcwB3lG1rcx983o4_250.gif
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I have got to say I was delighted when I read this news on twitter. I am so looking forward to seeing what comes of this, and especially the 40-minute short piece to get a feel of ideas.
  • kelorkelor Join Date: 2015-05-20 Member: 204720Members
    Great! Now I'm more and more confident subnautica will be one of the first ever open-world survival games WITH a great story as well! Very excited!!!
  • AeronomerAeronomer Ohio Join Date: 2015-07-16 Member: 206192Members
    This is exciting news. Answers one of the big questions in terms of where the game is ultimately going.
  • ArkStrikeArkStrike Venezuela Join Date: 2015-05-06 Member: 204212Members
    I'm not so convinced. Sure we don't know what they might be cooking for us in terms of story but I'm still very skeptical about it. TJ seems very excited and motivated but I'm not sure how to feel about him handling the story of this game... I mean no offense but I would be dissapointed if it turned out to be some cliche "i'm stranded and i need to contact my homeworld *bunch of weird uninteresting missions later* oh so thats what happened? why i ended up here. cool. *boss fight* I MADE IT! *rescue coming* yaaaay i'm saved!"

Honestly I'd feel a lot happier if there was an extensive moding in the final game so maybe people can create their own stories in the game as well.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I have to wonder if he will include anything from NS2 in the story!

I mean, Alterra runs most of the facilities used in that game, and they are mostly for collecting and refining resources!
  • AeronomerAeronomer Ohio Join Date: 2015-07-16 Member: 206192Members
    ArkStrike wrote: »
    I'm not so convinced. Sure we don't know what they might be cooking for us in terms of story but I'm still very skeptical about it. TJ seems very excited and motivated but I'm not sure how to feel about him handling the story of this game... I mean no offense but I would be dissapointed if it turned out to be some cliche "i'm stranded and i need to contact my homeworld *bunch of weird uninteresting missions later* oh so thats what happened? why i ended up here. cool. *boss fight* I MADE IT! *rescue coming* yaaaay i'm saved!"

Honestly I'd feel a lot happier if there was an extensive moding in the final game so maybe people can create their own stories in the game as well.

Don't really understand your skepticism seeing that we know absolutely nothing about this yet. But I'm with you on modding. How cool would it be if you could mod the final game?
  • KunoGKunoG Join Date: 2015-04-12 Member: 203349Members
    God, why I feel that update should be today, but it will be... next week??
  • JuanFran21JuanFran21 England Join Date: 2015-07-21 Member: 206310Members
    IMPORTANT NEWS!
    I haven't played subnautica in a while, so i'm not sure if this info is up to date. Anyway, before the crash-site update, there was no way out of the 'eye' of the island except for the hole in the middle. However, in the crash site update, there was a passage leading out of the 'eye' of the island. When I tried to explore it , however, I was blocked by an invisible wall. I tried to terraform my way in, but I was once again blocked by an invisible wall. I do not know where the passage left. There are two explanations:

1: I was playing on a laptop so the game was very slow. Maybe it was a glitch?

2: In the upcoming story update this could be a site for some story-related thing.

I need someone to check this out, see if you can enter the passage. Also, if not, I need someone to check this out when the story update comes out. Thanks in advance :)
  • ArkStrikeArkStrike Venezuela Join Date: 2015-05-06 Member: 204212Members
    Aeronomer wrote: »
    ArkStrike wrote: »

Don't really understand your skepticism seeing that we know absolutely nothing about this yet. But I'm with you on modding. How cool would it be if you could mod the final game?

We know nothing yet but I've been dissapointed lately by how predictable games stories are lately. It would be very very cool! There are many excellent modders out there so we are bound to see something that will make us drop our jaws!
  • SkizomeuhSkizomeuh France Join Date: 2015-04-29 Member: 203939Members
    Just look at man's CV and you'll see there could have been largely worse choices. I can hardly believe he'll end with the kind stories, any 8yo can end up with, you fear of...
  • SudokuRobberSudokuRobber UK Join Date: 2015-07-22 Member: 206325Members
    I´m very excited about Subnautica. I guess I´m a bit of an Unknown Worlds fanboy :#
    What strikes me as the biggest challenge (albeit abstract) of finding the right balance between extricating yourself from the oceanworld asap to get home and living, using and adapting this new, alien living environment. Of course the character´s motivation is survival and return, but how rationally likely is that scenario playing out? Wouldn´t it be cool if there are things to be encountered in the world that lead to hyperevolution of the character to this alien world.

Let me put that in simpler words: I´d love it if the environment of the alien world causes change in the form of hyperevolution and changes the organism of the main character. Then you could seek out these agents in the game´s environment and start to learn about the nature of this world and its relation to ´our´ home world.The way back home would then be to embrace living in the new world. To find the old, you have to discover the new!

;)
  • SudokuRobberSudokuRobber UK Join Date: 2015-07-22 Member: 206325Members
    Haha, got carried away there. What I meant to say about Tom Jubert: I think his focus on life in the new world is very promising.
    In his words, taking from his blog:

"Subnautica's gameplay is about exploring and surviving on an alien world, and learning how to live harmoniously with your environment. That is literally what you do minute-to-minute. The story, then, is going to be about concepts quite alien to video game narratives in general: survival, environmentalism, life itself. I think these are topics which I can do justice to."

That´s what I was rambling about in my last post :)