[BUG]Polys / seafloor parts missing. [21032 jul-15]

FeinrippFeinripp Germania Join Date: 2015-07-17 Member: 206215Members
Hi, love this game!

I found a serious bug while swimming near aurora that there are huge parts of the seafloor missing. Its mainly above caves, if you swim through, sometimes the structure pops up and you will be trapped in a cave. Due to the missing floor, some of the items ( quartz, limestone etc. are attached in the blue.

This happens every time i swim in that area ( near aurora flat sandy near a big cave..) got this bug in normal mode and experimental. It does not depend on resolution or graphics quality.

qgPIqsU.jpg

Nvidia 970, i73770k, win7 64bit

Comments

• ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    Typically this happens when either the world files are corrupted on disk, or you are going wicked fast and the engine cannot steam the chunks in fast enough. The second usually only happens if you are using the speed command and running a mechanical hard drive.

The solution to the first part is to have stream verify your install: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335

It is worth noting that there is a reported bug that is very similar under OSX that we have been unable to reproduce. If you do the verify cache and it is still broken, a copy of your log might be very helpful.
  • FeinrippFeinripp Germania Join Date: 2015-07-17 Member: 206215Members
    Thank you for fast reply, i ´ve done the verify through steam as described. I´ve checked and defragmented game disk too... Same problem still persists.
    Im not going fast, just normal swimming. No cheats whatsoever. The chunks constantly missing they will not be thrown in by the engine even if i wait or swim around in that area.
    Interestingly the problem only occurs at some places in the world. Other areas are free of those missing parts. I have deinstalled nvidia drivers and reinstalled several different versions, with no success.
    The point is that this is happening exactly at the area where a big cave is and large sand dunes.. very nice there i would love to build a base there but this isnt working without ground .. lol.

So i have looked for the output.log file.. this file is about 1 GB big. wht?? I renamed this beast to __output.log to get a new one which i want to submit. I would love to get a tip on how to fix this.

Im running an ok rig with I7 3770k, GTX970 FTW, 32MB Ram, and Asus Maximus Board, the drives are standard 7200 U/min WD with no problems in Witcher3 or other demanding games so far.
    Well sometimes i get some stuttering if game loads files but is it possible that the engine completely rejects those chunks if they arent delivered fast enough through the file sys? I cant imagine that?!

If it helps i could make a video or so..

btw..
    really appreciate ur work with the game and troubleshooting in alpha, impressive. have to say that, had played a lot of alphas but this one stands out. 2c
    Ralf
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    yeah the 1gb file is gonna be a dead give away that something is going wrong. It should get overwritten on start up, so start the game play until something doesn't load. Quit. and then either email the log to jonas and let him know that its about the not loading terrain, or post it here on pastebin or something and we can take care of it.
    Aye, sir. i have a fresh log now. Played for a few minutes until the ´not loading terrain thing´ showed up. I quit and the log is around 26 mb. i zipped it, now searching for jonas email..
    Thanks, sent it on to jonas.
    edited July 2015
    I ve made an observation regarding my subject:
    It seems as if the missing terrain bug i have is correlated to crashes i had. I found the following:

if i start a new game everything works fine, all terrain and objects are shown. Whenever i build my first building, lets say a corridor, at the point when the object is ready.. at 100% it does crash my sys. I have to hard reset the pc . After restarting, loading the last saved game: i can see all these missing terrain errors. It seems that a crash ( for example due to hw or drv problems ) leaves corrupt data somehow in the savegames?

As said, if i start a new game everything is fine again w/o reinstalling the game over steam.. loading the corrupt saved game results in missing terrain. Build a corridor ..at finishing, right at 100%, it shuts my sys. If i reboot and load the game again, the terrain bug occurs and stays persistant.. from this point on every game session in the game is buggy as long as i start the old savegame.

I think there is something rotten in my pc, maybe the display adapter causes a crash. This seems to corrupt some data somewhere in saved game.. interestingly it happens always at the same situation.. i can provoke it by building anything with the builder at 100% it makes the success sound and boom.. black screen..

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Anything odd in your windows event viewer about it?
    I mean, a mere black screen can be anything.
    Yes DC_D thats right, can be anything.

After intense testing i found that my Videocard, an evga gtx970 superclocked ( brand new) seems to be the cause of the crashes. There are similar reports at forums about the cards.
    No overclock, all factory settings. Funny it is that it runs stable with valley and heaven benchmark, in other games everything is fine too.
    Point is that if i start a new game and i finally found my first silver, make the buildertool , and then build a corridor, while i finish the build with the builder tool something happens at 100%. Its always at this point i can provoke it reliably. Baehmm.. crash. Sadly the savegame which loaded correct before the crash, now is corrupted and stays so, what can be seen due to the now missing terrain parts. The acid mushrooms do not move anymore etc..

So, i dont blame the game for this, since all the other users out there do not see this behavior.
    I RMA my Vidcard now, but i wonder if it is possible to repair the saved games in any way to get
    them working again? (have a really nice base built which i dont want to loose).

The question i have is, does the engine in any way lock the savegame files or writes any data in there during runtime, so that a crash of the game / hw can corrupt the save game, although i have not saved until crash?
    Im so sorry, reading this text must be immense pain for native eng speakers.. lol. But i think it could be interesting for others to see how this works out finally.. i ll report if new card arrives..
    if a mod thinks this shouldnt stay here in bug forum anymore, just kill the thread
    thank you,
  • LumpNLumpN Join Date: 2002-10-30 Member: 1725Members, Subnautica Developer
    I'm a bit late for the party but I can basically confirm everything you said. The log file shows a corrupted savegame where some parts of the terrain could not be saved to disk because the process crashed while saving. Some other parts of the savegame got corrupted too. But starting a new game should work fine.

The issue where it crashes your game at 100% construction of a corridor is weird. I would like to see a log file of that. Do not restart the game after the crash as it will overwrite the log file. Look if there's crash folder http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=403087864
    Thanks for feedback on that issue.

I now have a replacement for my faulty Video card. No more crashes until now. The cause of my crashs in game was the Nvidia card.
    With the old card i had a crash in witcher3 too. The difference is that subnautica seems to write data at runtime (during playing of the game) to the savegame files. Thus leading into corrupt data if such a hardware related crash occurs. After the sudden death of the game session the savegame stays corrupted. Starting a fresh new game fixes every problem with missing terrain.
    If i ever get a BSOD again i will save the logs for you.

For those interested in the GTX970 crashes, i found that if a game causes the GPU to "clock down e.g. reduce the nvidia boost" the related GPU voltage seems to drop to much, this leads into instability on some GTX970. One can run benchmarks like heaven or furmark for hours without any issue but if the GPU toggles between its boost states during play it causes black screens. I found this behaviour reported in several hardware forum entries in the OC world regarding some factory pushed GTX970´s.
    Subnautica, along with for example witcher3, seems to be a demanding game ( high utilization -> low utilization) in this regard.
    At first glance i thought the game must be the cause, since other games where running fine. But after i got similar BSOD in witcher3 every time i went to the balcony it was clear that there must be something rotten in my setup..lol.

TL:DR: The game is fine, my hardware caused the crashes and the related missing terrain effects. If one has stable hardware, everything should be fine.
    Thanks again for helping out on that subject. Great support, appreciated.
    Ralf

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    To make any future headaches simpler..
    a BSOD is never a game. Its technically not possible. BSOD can only be caused by hardware or software ran in kernel mode. Games (like most user applications) run in user space.
    Sure a game can push a graphics card (driver) to do something bad, and the driver IS in kernel space. One could argue the game shouldn't do that. One could also argue the driver shouldn't let it. (I personally would default to bad driver on this choice as if the driver says 'hell no' to the game, the game could crash.. but.. less of a issue.)

As for not overclocking the card yourself.. The cards that have something clocked in the name, are overclocked by factory default. Many many cards are (slightly) overclocked by manufacturers.
    Its still a OC, so any OC comment still stands.
    As you found out, voltage does matter when you have a OC card and like with any OCed card, there can be difference between cards of the same model. So yeh, you had a bad OCed one.
    Normally your problem, but since THEY overclock it by default... ;)
    nice roundup dark.