Nifty greybox auto-material

BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
edited May 2015 in Mapping
Hey guys!

I've just finished making a material that automatically textures faces differently depending on which way they're facing, ie) 1) floor, 2) wall, and 3) ceiling. This is very useful for when you're quickly creating some greybox geometry, but don't want the ugly grey textures everywhere. This material by default uses the nice biodome textures, but it can be modified to use any textures. It's not meant to replace actual detailing, but just meant to provide a fast, easy way to put some texture into your map for testing. Nobody likes playing on the grey textures! :)

NOTE: biodome/eclipse/descent textures are made slightly different from the old refinery textures. The "old" style of textures has the specular map as a greyscale image in the albedo map's alpha channel, so these materials only have 2 textures, the glossy map is a constant value. The "new" style of textures has 3 textures: albedo, normal, and specular, where the specular map is RGB, and the glossy map is greyscale in the specular map's alpha channel. In order to get the older materials to work with this materials, some modification would be needed in the shader file.
Aq3sPkj.jpg
That is ONE material, assigned to all faces, and I didn't have to do any texture mapping whatsoever.

Two files are needed:
Material file (this is what is assigned to faces in the editor): https://www.dropbox.com/s/jgoqd4sqany6at6/auto_greybox.material?dl=1
Shader file (this is what the material references, it MUST go into your "[mod/map directory]/shaders" directory): https://www.dropbox.com/s/3351fu141s7ef2o/Model_Three.surface_shader?dl=1

Enjoy!

Comments

• Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2015
    @BeigeAlert - When I start making games that are moddable, I am going to hunt you down to make all sorts of tools for the game :D

---Edit---

Heck, i might hunt you down to make tools for me for games that aren't moddable to make my life easier :D
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    @BeigeAlert - When I start making games that are moddable, I am going to hunt you down to make all sorts of tools for the game :D

---Edit---

Heck, i might hunt you down to make tools for me for games that aren't moddable to make my life easier :D

*tips hat* don't thank me, it's my job. :) (pay me, instead)
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Ironsoul wrote: »
    patreon?

Nah, I was just joking. Pretty sure CDT actually can't accept money... not 100% sure though, but either way my answer is the same. :)
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2015
    BeigeAlert wrote: »

---Edit---

lol.

Making stuff for my games has nothing to do with the CDT though... :P

I am also not benefiting from your current whirlind of wonderful updates, as I no longer use NS2. Your work is commendable none the less, even if currently of little value to me :D
    BeigeAlert wrote: »

---Edit---

lol.

Making stuff for my games has nothing to do with the CDT though... :P

I am also not benefiting from your current whirlind of wonderful updates, as I no longer use NS2. Your work is commendable none the less, even if currently of little value to me :D

Aww... that makes me sad. :(