Is skulk speed hopping still a thing?

noxnoctumnoxnoctum Join Date: 2010-06-07 Member: 71985Members
I don't know what the official term for this is, but it's something I never got a handle on in NS1. Is it still possible in NS2? I came across something that suggested it had been patched out.

If it is still part of the game, can anyone direct me to some good guides?

Comments

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited April 2015
    You wall jump to increase speed, consecutive jumps gives you move speed. Bunny hopping isn't really a thing in NS2, and butt-jumping was fixed.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    CS 1.6 style bunnyhopping is no more.
    Aliens still 'bunnyhop' but it's just jumping repeatedly rather than having to do the ADAD swervy bunnyhop of yore.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    I would say that it's not at all required below competitive play, but a very helpful motion to understand at a high level. In either case it does not give you additional speed, only movement.
  • ProphetCROProphetCRO Join Date: 2015-04-27 Member: 203897Members
    Wall jumping is essential if you wish to stand a chance against marines who know how to jump away when you ambush them. It is also very useful when pack rushing fortified marine positions

I can't recommend any vids, most of them I've watched are either too obvious or don't explain how to time wall jump properly.

Here are some tips:
    1)Open the console with tilt key and type 'debugspeed'. This will show speedmeter on your HUD. Now you can try out different styles of movement in sandbox mode and see how they impact your speed.

2) Jumping of a wall adds fixed amount of speed. Lets say 2. Max running speed for skulk is 7. If you go max running speed and add in wall jump you will go 9. If you jump of the wall while stationary you will only get 2 speed.

3)In order to preserve the increased speed you need to do consecutive jumps without any running in between. Doubletap spacebar while in air and hold it. This will make you jump the moment you land on the ground and preserve the momentum. If you jump of the wall and then continue running you will lose the extra speed quickly.
  • ProphetCROProphetCRO Join Date: 2015-04-27 Member: 203897Members
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    Bunny hopping isn't really a thing in NS2
    I'll have to disagree with this. Knowing how to bunny hop is probably single best predictor whether the marine will win in 1v1 against skulk. Every marine worth his salt does that 'turn 90 degrees and jump sideways' trick which allows him to circumvent the backward movement penalty and instantly create a gap between himself and attacking skulk. It is very infuriating when you manage to ambush a marine, bite him two times and then he just double hops backwards and shoot you in the head while you are trying to close the distance for final bite.

Disclaimer: I'm not asking for nerfs or anything like that. I was just sharing my impressions of the game as a newbie skulk player.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2015
    It's not bunny hopping, it's wall jumping. Git yer terms right :dizzy:
    @2cough this guy can still do it perfectly hehehe

Red_Guy_321.gif
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I think the OP is referring to butt jumping which, as samus said, was fixed a while back. I still have the habit of doing it, but the speed boost isnt there anymore when you do.
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    I remember when you could reach 10+ speed from actually bunny hopping, but it took ages when starting from a standstill and not using any walls ofc. It meant that you could keep your speed indefinitely until you got so fast that you had to make a tight turn and slow down. I think it was introduced at the same time or slightly before the butt jumping glitch. Not sure why it was removed (the former I mean). :)
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited May 2015
    Wish bunnyhopping existed!
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Karnaj said:
    I remember when you could reach 10+ speed from actually bunny hopping, but it took ages when starting from a standstill and not using any walls ofc. It meant that you could keep your speed indefinitely until you got so fast that you had to make a tight turn and slow down. I think it was introduced at the same time or slightly before the butt jumping glitch. Not sure why it was removed (the former I mean). :)
    I think that would have to be during sewlek's balance mod BETA. I don't think that was during a live build. I do remember having insane speeds on that mod though.
  • DaweiDawei Australia Join Date: 2013-12-23 Member: 190664Members
    edited June 2015
    I thought you could still bunnyhop with the skulk? If you do it right ( and it's pretty easy to), you don't lose any momentum at all and don't have to use walls to keep your speed up. It makes you harder to track, it's very useful in open areas like Cargo and you can even gain speed from a standing start without pressing forward. I don't know what bunnyhopping was like ages ago 'cos I've only been doing this recently but afaik, you can still do it and it's useful.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    You need to throw in wall jumps to gain speed, but bunnyhopping can maintain it close to 100% if your angles are right