Seamoth Dive Capability

TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
On the experimental branch right now the Seamoth has a safe depth down to 125m and a crush depth at 225m. Let’s poll.

What is your opinion of this new game mechanic?

Comments

• TerraBladeTerraBlade Join Date: 2015-05-25 Member: 204886Members
    I don't mind the fact it has a damage/crush depth, but of course it will need tweaking and refinement as more stuff is released. As well as ways to improve these depths like you can with the Cyclops.
  • SunseahlSunseahl Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205358Members
    It's definitely going to need tweaking.... I only found Lithium(because cyclops) after finding a jelly-shroom cave on the non experimental branch.... and that was at 335m depth, so having this new crush depth seems a little off-putting especially when I've never visited the floater island and especially when you have people who will buy the game at release without ever knowing this island exists... if it even remains in-game.
  • TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
    edited June 2015
    Sunseahl wrote: »
    It's definitely going to need tweaking.... I only found Lithium(because cyclops) after finding a jelly-shroom cave on the non experimental branch.... and that was at 335m depth, so having this new crush depth seems a little off-putting especially when I've never visited the floater island and especially when you have people who will buy the game at release without ever knowing this island exists... if it even remains in-game.

There is actually a spot in the Jelly caves that is right around 200m. Of course, it would be cool if players could reserch modules for the Seamoth. The Exosuit is probably going to be useful for deep dives - I'm thinking 250m safe depth, and 500m crush initially... perhaps even deeper considering that most of the lava biomes are beyond 400m and down to 3000m.
    well this brings up the question.... if the exo-suit will be safe at those deaths shouldn't it be made out of the materials of they Cyclops? I mean Plasteel and Enameled glass should have a better depth-solvency than titanium and quartz glass.... The only reason it is/should be an issue with the Cyclops is because what you're making is a mobile base with a lot more internal air surface than the exo-suit would have....

So you'd still have to get to jelly-shroom, or close to it, to even pick up the lithium needed. otherwise you just have a glorified walking Seamoth with the same crush depth problem of titanium and quartz glass.
  • TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
    edited June 2015
    well this brings up the question.... if the exo-suit will be safe at those deaths shouldn't it be made out of the materials of they Cyclops? I mean Plasteel and Enameled glass should have a better depth-solvency than titanium and quartz glass.... The only reason it is/should be an issue with the Cyclops is because what you're making is a mobile base with a lot more internal air surface than the exo-suit would have....

So you'd still have to get to jelly-shroom, or close to it, to even pick up the lithium needed. otherwise you just have a glorified walking Seamoth with the same crush depth problem of titanium and quartz glass.

Internal volume is important. The real life DSV Alvin has a crush depth of 6500m - its pressure hull is made out of titanium and it has plexiglass view-ports.
  • LordSableLordSable Australia Join Date: 2015-03-14 Member: 202096Members

I currently have a base at a depth of > 225M all set up waiting for the moon pool room so I can dock my seamoth there...
    edited June 2015
    Internal volume is important. The real life DSV Alvin has a crush depth of 6500m - its pressure hull is made out of titanium and it has plexiglass view-ports.

A 3 layer, 3 inch thick titanium sphere with each layer an inch thick and welded onto the previous layer and view ports that are anywhere from 3-9 inches thick....

so yea, theoretically we could make the mechanical Diver Dan out of Titanium and Quartz.... It'd just, at least, require double the raw resources of the Seamoth, especially if there is more surface area of glass than metal for the internal compartment.
    edited June 2015

A 3 layer, 3 inch thick titanium sphere with each layer an inch thick and welded onto the previous layer and view ports that are anywhere from 3-9 inches thick....

so yea, theoretically we could make the mechanical Diver Dan out of Titanium and Quartz.... It'd just, at least, require double the raw resources of the Seamoth, especially if there is more surface area of glass than metal for the internal compartment.

Double the resources would be:
    • 6 titanium
    • 2 power cells
    • 4 glass
    • 2 copper

That seems like a bit much... how about this:
    • 4 titanium
    • 1 power cell
    • 4 glass or 2 enameled glass
    • 1 copper wire
  • TerraBladeTerraBlade Join Date: 2015-05-25 Member: 204886Members
    edited June 2015
    The only worry I have with the exosuit vs seamoth is really mobility to energy efficiency ratings. What I mean is you can get two to three times the operation distance with the seamoth on a single power cell vs the Cyclops. Trade off is of course the seamoth is much MUCH easier to bang up and damage. But you can surface and maneuver quite well and get a long operation time on a single power cell.

If the exosuit takes forever to walk, uses up the power cell to quickly (and at assumable depths we might not easily be able to replace it), or is just unable to quickly ascend to the cyclops floating overhead...there might be some problems. I'm hoping to be able to park the Cyclops over the operation area and just drop the Exosuit down, but I assume there will be times when I may have to do some walking.

So if that is the case, the Seamoth losing depth might be a problem. Hence the tweaking option I took. Especially since right now the vehicle in the Cyclops bay doubles as an escape vessel in case of emergency.
    TerraBlade wrote: »
    The only worry I have with the exosuit vs seamoth is really mobility to energy efficiency ratings. What I mean is you can get two to three times the operation distance with the seamoth on a single power cell vs the Cyclops. Trade off is of course the seamoth is much MUCH easier to bang up and damage. But you can surface and maneuver quite well and get a long operation time on a single power cell.

If the exosuit takes forever to walk, uses up the power cell to quickly (and at assumable depths we might not easily be able to replace it), or is just unable to quickly ascend to the cyclops floating overhead...there might be some problems. I'm hoping to be able to park the Cyclops over the operation area and just drop the Exosuit down, but I assume there will be times when I may have to do some walking.

So if that is the case, the Seamoth losing depth might be a problem. Hence the tweaking option I took. Especially since right now the vehicle in the Cyclops bay doubles as an escape vessel in case of emergency.

Well, walking is the most efficient method of locomotion known to humanity.

The current block-like place holder exosuit uses 1% energy when boosting and then slowly drains energy as it propels around. The walking uses very, very little energy (if I remember correctly). What I'm worried about is the energy expenditure for the drill.
  • sharvysharvy North Carolina Join Date: 2015-04-28 Member: 203902Members
    edited June 2015
    The crush and damage depth should be changed if you would be able to apply upgrades to the Cyclops. Seamoth depth should be infinite.
    • 4 titanium
    • 1 power cell
    • 1 copper wire

I'd be okay with this...
    • 4 Titanium
    • 1 Power Cell
    • 2 Enameled Glass
    • 1 Copper Wire
    • 1 Wiring Kit
  • DchicoteDchicote Germany Join Date: 2015-05-26 Member: 204901Members
    Same on Mac, I like it !!
  • AlphaBlueArxAlphaBlueArx Join Date: 2015-05-11 Member: 204402Members
    I finally managed to reach the inactive lava zone...and thanks to this limit now i can't explore it!...why!?

I just hope they allow us to upgrade it...
  • SkizomeuhSkizomeuh France Join Date: 2015-04-29 Member: 203939Members
    edited June 2015
    I hope they arrive soon, because now exploring the koosh zone will be a pain! i just found it...
    • 4 titanium
    • 1 power cell
    • 1 copper wire

I'd be okay with this...
    • 4 Titanium
    • 1 Power Cell
    • 2 Enameled Glass
    • 1 Copper Wire
    • 1 Wiring Kit

That sounds great. :smile:
    In experimental version:

Fixed bug where you couldn't deplete the Cyclops to 0 power Disabled Seamoth crush damage for now (until we can put in upgrade modules at docking bay)

Source

Modifications are happening folks! :smiley:
  • TrystTryst UK Join Date: 2015-05-03 Member: 204138Members
    Needs some way to increase the dive capability like the Cyclops. The initial upgrade needs to be made with mats that can be obtained by the diver in the beginning so they can dive deeper to obtain mats for the Cyclops.
    They should give priority to fix also the fact that it gets crushed inside the cyclops!
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    I don't like it couse the seamoth has the look of the submarine triton the most cabable submarine to go deep a few thousand meters! It would ve more realistick if the seamoth can go deeper then the cyclop with the reason of it's harder for a small objekt to get crushed by depth then a bigger one.
  • TerraPuerTerraPuer texas Join Date: 2015-06-04 Member: 205244Members
    the seamoth is a small sub smaller than most deep diving subs he have in the real world the small subs we have can dive way farther down than that. I expect that since this sub is much more advanced than our real world subs it would be able to dive down much deeper than them, say...about 1000 meters. with that said I think there should be a certain depth that once you get there you can't get out of the seamoth without dieing because you would be crushed. perhaps there could be a "depth suit" for that...or just use the exo-suit.
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    I'm not crazy about the Seamoth's depth rating being Nerfed. Its small surface area would make it inherently more resistant to pressure.

It is an exploration vehicle after all. A crush depth of 1000 metres should be achievable through applying a series of hull plating upgrades.
    Subnautica needs at least one relatively fast 'hit & git' vehicle, if only to outrun Reapers and suchlike. Since it can become a Reaper's chew-toy with alarming ease, I'm rather surprised that its already modest capabilities needed to be toned down at all.

Devs, for the love of Poseidon... Please don't give the Exo-Suit a similar handicap. It's supposed to be capable of operating at abyssal pressures.

Doesn't have to be particularly fast or agile, but it also doesn't have to be a Reaper's version of Spam In A Can, either.
    edited June 2015
    Bugzapper wrote: »
    I'm not crazy about the Seamoth's depth rating being Nerfed. Its small surface area would make it inherently more resistant to pressure.

It is an exploration vehicle after all. A crush depth of 1000 metres should be achievable through applying a series of hull plating upgrades.
    Subnautica needs at least one relatively fast 'hit & git' vehicle, if only to outrun Reapers and suchlike. Since it can become a Reaper's chew-toy with alarming ease, I'm rather surprised that its already modest capabilities needed to be toned down at all.

Devs, for the love of Poseidon... Please don't give the Exo-Suit a similar handicap. It's supposed to be capable of operating at abyssal pressures.

Doesn't have to be particularly fast or agile, but it also doesn't have to be a Reaper's version of Spam In A Can, either.
    IMO, the suit should have a safe depth of 1000m and a crush depth of 2000m initially. The next upgrade would give 500m to 1000m of depth. That means with two to three upgrades the suit can operate at 3000m which is the projected depth of the deep lava biome.
  • R1600TurboR1600Turbo AZ, USA Join Date: 2015-05-03 Member: 204090Members
    Hate it. They give us new Biome's to explore, but they go to depths that the SeaMoth can no longer go to. So now you are forced to use an upgraded Cyclops which is huge and hard to maneuver sometimes. I think they should have waited to give the SeaMoth a depth limit until they could give us reinforcement upgrades at the same time. To be honest this depth limit is really off putting, kind of makes me not want to play until it's fixed somehow.
    Bugzapper wrote: »

IMO, the suit should have a safe depth of 1000m and a crush depth of 2000m initially. The next upgrade would give 500m to 1000m of depth. That means with two to three upgrades the suit can operate at 3000m which is the projected depth of the deep lava biome.

maybe a huger depth than that but i agree
  • Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members
    I knew that this had to come. It's kinda strange if you've gotten used to the comfort of the old moth but it's ok i guess. All i need is a rebreather and maybe i get to use more pipes in the future for really deep caves.
    I knew that this had to come. It's kinda strange if you've gotten used to the comfort of the old moth but it's ok i guess. All i need is a rebreather and maybe i get to use more pipes in the future for really deep caves.

but the annoying reapers and sea emperors make it a hard thing to do pyro
  • Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members
    I lost more than one moth to a reaper already, the moth isn't really that good. Once we have the powerglide it's probably gonna be even safer than before.

Also i got to dive around in my cyclops a little more since the moth can't go below 225 and i really got used to it. I think the reapers will have to deal with the big guns in the future.