No Longer About a Counting System

FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
edited June 2015 in NS2 General Discussion
Nothing has to do with the original post anymore. It's in the spoiler if you want to read it anyway
This would work better on smaller playcounts.

I was thinking it would be really interesting if you could apply a grid overlay to a map, and section it out in however many grid locations, say 1-9. For crude example:28yx34p9hy56.jpg

Now, you could have binds on your numpad corresponding to the sections. So say I see two skulks in zone 3. I press NumPad_3 twice, and after a brief delay it shows up in chat, or in the HUD, or whatever, and automatically counts: Zone 3=2, or be more specific with the zoning, xenoform research: 2, but that would add more keys. Then just press NumPad_0 when count is lost to start a new one.

This could obviously be trolled on pretty hard, but when you play better servers I don't think it would. I haven't thought overly hard about how to implement something like this, just wanted to throw the idea out before it's lost

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Might help rookies navigate. This sounds like it would have a variety of uses.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    A similar grid system (its not interactive at all) is used in Mechwarrior Online and it really does add a lot more cohesion to rounds. Their system uses letters on one side and numbers on the other to form a grid that is easy to identify and navigate.

Example:
    battle-grid.jpg

I think being able to press buttons and have icons display on the minimap is unnecessary and complicated. Just being able to type "2 Skulks in B3" or "big inc A4" will give any player, regardless of how well they have memorized the maps and room names, a good indication of whats happening and where they should go.

One downside that I can see is that there would be two naming conventions on the minimap, the rooms actual name, and the grid location. I'm not sure how big of an issue this would be, but I think people could adjust.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    It'd be really awesome if each map was partitioned into several locations or "rooms". You could give the rooms names too! "Get to nano-grid"-you might say...
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    It'd be really awesome if each map was partitioned into several locations or "rooms". You could give the rooms names too! "Get to nano-grid"-you might say...

I do sarcasm too!
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow

Ya, that is great if I know where nano grid is. If I do not I have to scan the map until I find it.
  • SaltlickSaltlick Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177347Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think having a compass and cardinal directions would be useful. It would help noobs to have something to guide their eyes instead of poring over the map in the middle of battle. Of course, it would also require people speaking using the cardinal directions as well.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2015
    If you're doing names and coordinates on the map you might as well stick a legend in alphabetical order on the side so people can quickly skim the names to find where they're going.

Then improve the map functionality so it's easier for new players to understand and interact with the map so nonverbal players can ping sections of the map with little tags like "hostile" for people to have a better read of the situation just by looking at the map.

Then to top it all off add ai pathing moving waypoint lines like ns2+ phasegate lines onto the minimap showing the shortest route to the current waypoint.

Also while you're at it the map doesn't match the theme of the hud at all and still looks like a placeholder, and since a 2d map doesn't always give players a good representation of a 3d world, why not make the map 3d instead?

Thd0Csi.png
    Actually just make Metroid Prime 4.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited June 2015

Also the metroid prime 3D-maps were amazing, though torvus bog occasionally confused my depth perception.
  • METROIDMETROID Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165171Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited June 2015
    why not make the map 3d instead?

Thd0Csi.png
    Or like a DS map:
    tumblr_ms2mjvOyQc1qjn5lfo5_250.gif
    But there is a little point in that, cuz NS2 maps mostly flat.
    Nordic wrote: »

Ya, that is great if I know where nano grid is. If I do not I have to scan the map until I find it.

noob

That is my point though. I know the maps and if you say "go to the neck" on veil, I know what you are talking about. Noobs, rookies, etc do not.

One consistent complaint I hear from new people is they have trouble navigating. A few have commented here, such as corund, saying something along the lines of maps are hard to navigate. Have you not told a rookie to go to a room, and watch as they stand there. You know they are looking at there map scanning for where you told them to go. The funny part, is the fact that the rookie even knows he has a map is an odd sight.
    Even most veterans seem to hate custom maps and new official maps simply because they don't know them. Maybeif the veterans learned to navigate those maps a little quicker, how every small a chance, new maps would be more accepted. Why new and custom maps are not easily accepted is a separate and more complex issue, but still slightly related.

By saying this I am hoping to show that ns2 has an accessibility problem with map navigation. Some sort of grid or similar feature might be an easy remedy for that. I am not saying reinvent the whole map system. This just sounds like an easy way to increase accessibility, something that ns2 lacks.

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts

noob

That is my point though. I know the maps and if you say "go to the neck" on veil, I know what you are talking about. Noobs, rookies, etc do not.

One consistent complaint I hear from new people is they have trouble navigating. A few have commented here, such as corund, saying something along the lines of maps are hard to navigate. Have you not told a rookie to go to a room, and watch as they stand there. You know they are looking at there map scanning for where you told them to go. The funny part, is the fact that the rookie even knows he has a map is an odd sight.
    Even most veterans seem to hate custom maps and new official maps simply because they don't know them. Maybeif the veterans learned to navigate those maps a little quicker, how every small a chance, new maps would be more accepted. Why new and custom maps are not easily accepted is a separate and more complex issue, but still slightly related.

By saying this I am hoping to show that ns2 has an accessibility problem with map navigation. Some sort of grid or similar feature might be an easy remedy for that. I am not saying reinvent the whole map system. This just sounds like an easy way to increase accessibility, something that ns2 lacks.

That's just something every player has to learn. It doesn't take that long to learn the maps, and in the meantime, you can always use north, east, south west directions.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation

noob

That's just something every player has to learn. It doesn't take that long to learn the maps, and in the meantime, you can always use north, east, south west directions.

You're off topic, this is about keeping track of enemy locations fool
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I think the simple fact is, the proposed grid or compass would still force a player to:
    1. press map button
    2. orient themselves
    3. act

Personally, I don't see how having one person say something like "activity in d-3" is any better than saying "skulks in ventilation." The player will still have to press their map key, find themselves, and find "d-3"/ventilation.

Because of this, I think it would actually make it more confusing. One person saying rush b-2, another rush nano. Lets pretend these refer to the same location. I see rookies getting lost here. Not to mention rooms like "C-12." Too much potential for confusion IMO.

Then it could be left middle right
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    if anything, mark and name the lanes
    duh
  • bizbiz Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167386Members
    the metroid prime 3D maps are quite good

if they get rid of the whole commander thing, you can even have actual vertical level design
  • AnzestralAnzestral Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185327Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Regarding the difficulty to find out where to go I think it would be much more helpfull to have an option to show the shortest path to a waypoint or ping (on the minimap and/or rendered on the floor for example). I think there already is an implementation for pathfinding for drifters, macs and arcs. Maybe it would be possible to use that.

Regarding giving numbers and information: I find a grid is to inaccurate and using one hand to find the right number on the keypad makes you waste time on communication while you could do something else like moving or shooting. It also makes you vulnerable for a short time. We already have the posibillity to ping a location far away. If at all I would implement a key similar to pinging, so that you could point in a direction and hit the key a few times and the game figures out what room you are pointing at and how many times you hot the key to translate it to how many enemies you have seen in what room. However, I think vocide communication is far superior, as you can give more and more precise information (what lifeforms, where are they going to, are they ambushing, what weapon has the marine, is it a jetpack) in a shorter time by only holding one additional key.
    How do I turn off notifications for this garbage
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2015
    mattji104 wrote: »
    How do I turn off notifications for this garbage

Probably clicking the star in the upper right.
    Naw, I started the thread though, didn't favorite it
  • AnzestralAnzestral Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185327Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Did you not understand my post?
    Bumping so mattji104 can see there's another post. :P
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    mattji104 i am glad you liked my earlier post, here's another one just for you tee hee hee
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter

+1
    mattji104 i am glad you liked my earlier post, here's another one just for you tee hee hee
    2cough wrote: »

+1

I am quoting all these guys so they get a notification too. Got your back @mattji104
    Just a reminder to bump again. Thanks @Nordic
    2cough wrote: »

+1

I am quoting all these guys so they get a notification too. Got your back @mattji104

I didnt get a notification @Nordic waaaaaahhhh
    @mattji104 whats wrong with me WHATS WRONG OMG
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    All named rooms should have signs in them and pointing to them from other rooms. Like street signs. For status quo, pros could turn this off if desired.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    "yo, bitches we need to cover the left side"
    "spawner go left"
    "2 coming in right"
    "mid is fucked"
    "phase phase phase"
    "big push through central"
    "three skulks coming to you X"

left, right, mid, top, bottom.

who here doesn't understand?