Sonar Vision

KDrewKDrew US Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205350Members
I think this would be a really good addition to either equipment or tools. What it would do is allow the player to see creatures which are beyond their normal vision. These creatures would simply show up as a red outline on the player's hud. You could take this even further and reveal hidden creatures such as sand sharks under the sand. Of course this upgrade should be expensive and possibly require the player to find a fragment in order to acquire it.

Just a thought

Comments

• HexaphobiaHexaphobia Oregon Join Date: 2015-05-20 Member: 204694Members
    Hmmmmm, a good idea... but... from a programming angel... I think detecting NPC's beyond the rendering range would be problematic. Its depends on how they are spawning NPC's into the world.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Hexaphobia wrote: »
    Hmmmmm, a good idea... but... from a programming angel... I think detecting NPC's beyond the rendering range would be problematic. Its depends on how they are spawning NPC's into the world.

Programming angels, eh? I didnt think they used computers.
  • SalmonJEDlSalmonJEDl Finland Join Date: 2015-05-14 Member: 204465Members
    edited June 2015
    Cyclops could have a sonar that mostly works as an automatic mapping tool, but would also be used to detect nearby creatures.
    2cough wrote: »

Programming angels, eh? I didnt think they used computers.

uh....what?

• Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members
    On the Wiki i read there is a DNA-Sampler-Serum planned that gives sonar vision.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    uh....what?

You said angel.
    clipart-angel-icon-e496.png

You meant angle.
    220px-Two_rays_and_one_vertex.png

I was making a joke. Cheers for the disagree, @Reefseeker
    LOL wow... finals are taking their toll on me.
  • LightdevilLightdevil Austria Join Date: 2015-06-10 Member: 205381Members, Subnautica Playtester
    Sonar would be amazing, but id like it to only be available in vehicles such as sea moth and cyclops.
  • TerraBladeTerraBlade Join Date: 2015-05-25 Member: 204886Members
    I've mentioned it a few times. But I think the old game 'Sub Rebellion' had a pretty simple and effective take on sonar. You can see it in this video, but basically puts a wireframe over terrain and enemies. It would be pretty simple to adapt I think.

Sub Rebellion (PS2)
  • frizzankfrizzank texas Join Date: 2015-06-11 Member: 205402Members
    I would love to see a 3d wire-frame map that you revel through sonar pinging. I would say there would have to be a downside to active pinging like it attracted larger predators or something.

Also if there were some way to find out what resources were in the general area...