Dry-Dock Repaires

HexaphobiaHexaphobia Oregon Join Date: 2015-05-20 Member: 204694Members
While Posting in a thread by Captin_Pyro, I had An idea! I think it would be very immersive and challenging (in a good way) if you where only able to repair SOME damage to the Seamoth or Exosuit or only able to repair certain parts or functions in the field. The rest of the repairs would need to been done while in dry-dock in the cyclops or moon pool. And maybe this could include fully damaged vehicles as well. You must abandon a fully damaged, and thus inoperable, Seamoth where it is, but what if you could come back with the exosuit and "drag" it back to the cyclops or moon pool so you could dry dock it and repair it. For example, You could repair the fully damaged seamoth in a dry-dock for maybe half the resources of building a new one? This gives us something to do with the completely damaged hull of a vehicle, adds a risk Vs reward aspect if the destroyed vehicle is some place dangerous (reaper nest! *shudders*) maybe it would be easier to just build one from scratch, or maybe you lack the resources to build a new one from scratch at the moment, and must take the chance on braving the danger in an exosuit to retrieve it? Just sounds exiting doesn't it?

This could also be implemented into the cyclops. Maybe you can only restore basic functions to a damaged cyclops. Such as engines and navigation and the ability to weld up leaks. At the moment this basically covers all the functions of the cyclops. But, im sure more functions will be added. So maybe you can only restore basic functions but not to 100%, like the engine runs at 50% power and you must operate at the surface because life support doesn't work, cyclops bay wont work... Anyways, I think you get my point. So the only way to regain 100% functionality is to repair the cyclops at a wet-dock (since its obviously too big for dry-dock) such as the one talked about in this thread. This would give an great importance to a sea base, as at this point a sea base has no advantage over a cyclops, this would give you a reason to create a good home base that you need to periodically return to, to be able too rearm, repair and restock for your explorations.

Comments

• AlphaBlueArxAlphaBlueArx Join Date: 2015-05-11 Member: 204402Members
    mmmmmh the idea of allowing the reparation of the completely broken veichles at the drydocks is extremely good actually :)

That's something worth of being implemented i think :)
  • Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members
    edited June 2015
    As you can imagine, i'm into this!

I dunno if anyone has seen the lets play of "Jacksepticeye" yet. He gives his subs names and "loves them to bits" as he uses to say. I like it when players can get attached to their stuff in a game and this would make for a great mechanic to deepen that. You would have to take care and try not to swim into each and everything. No more ramming sharks (which is what makes them kinda pointless), no more bumping through a cave until you finally fit through.

If you were able to weld only hull damage in the field but not a damaged engine, window glass or oxygen tank, that would make for some great distress scenes and confront the player with tricky problems. If you suddenly can't refill your air anymore, you have to think fast.

The next thing would be the use of items, that currently aren't really needed. Current generator, Air Bladder, Grav Sphere ... all things, that could maybe serve to recover a vessel, if they were modified for the task.

With the seamoth the cost factor is maybe not the greatest issue - i mean, they don't cost that much - but if you lose the cyclops, shit hits the fan. And with the exosuit coming up we have one more machine to look after.

Edit:
    While typing this you added a few lines of text, saying exactly what i had in mind^^
    And through making the Cyclops more vulnerable, it might gain the drawback it needs to be made more power efficent and still be balanced.
  • tyler111762tyler111762 Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204558Members
    i think they should have a large room you have to build as a canopy type thing on support legs, that sucks the cyclops up into the base like the cyclops sucks up the seamoth, then it goes into a dry dock, maybe forcing you to dry dock the cyclops to repair it, and eventually getting repair bots ( same model as the fabricator buts if the devs want to save reasources) that repair it automaticly, and maybe have upgrades to how many bots you have (one bot fixes one hole at a time), how many reapirs/ percentage repair that a bot can do before it needs to recharge, and how fast each bot is at repairing
  • SalmonJEDlSalmonJEDl Finland Join Date: 2015-05-14 Member: 204465Members
    @tyler111762 That kind of thing (moon pool) is coming to the game pretty soon! Only seamoth/ exosuit can fit in, tho. It would be too massive, if cyclops could be docked there. Instead we could have an open water docking station, like suggested here.