Warpers! and warp pads

AlphaBlueArxAlphaBlueArx Join Date: 2015-05-11 Member: 204402Members
Hey guys one of my recent posts just made me score a great idea.

Why not adding some neat warp pods to the stuff you can build?

The idea is the following...you could sample the DNA from the Warper creatures, built a machine that uses it, and BAM! we have a warp pad!

Comments

• Hyp3rionHyp3rion Australia Join Date: 2015-03-21 Member: 202396Members
    The idea is sound but I believe a lot of what makes Subnautica enjoyable is the journey you take. Actually moving through the living, breathing & often dangerous water world is the main experience & I believe being able to simply "warp" around the place would significantly detract from that experience.

Hyp3rion
  • Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members
    That's kinda what came to my mind too, when i read about the warpers for the first time.

it think warping would need to cost such immense amount of energy to be balanced in any way, that it almost wouldn't pay off.
  • AnthonyH318AnthonyH318 Join Date: 2015-05-04 Member: 204169Members
    The only thing warping would be useful for if it was made for multiple bases, if you want to move things around quicker but don't want to swim to your second base miles across the map then the warp pad would be just for you...

though I don't know why anyone would do that, I usually just use one base, until resources noticably respawn...
  • AlphaBlueArxAlphaBlueArx Join Date: 2015-05-11 Member: 204402Members
    Matter is that is exactly what I'm planning on doing, also it would be useful when you need to cover a great distance at big depths.

The cyclops would get drained by a too long voyage...and even with the solar panels at a great depth it would be hard for it to get fueled, since there would be little to no solar power.
  • SalmonJEDlSalmonJEDl Finland Join Date: 2015-05-14 Member: 204465Members
    This has been mentioned many times on the forums already. Some ideas here:
    • 100% DNA research on warpers to get them.
    • Uses a LOT of power.
    • Definitely end-game content
    • Should be really expensive to make. Needs diamonds and maybe a part of warper (harvestable without killing the thing, like stalker teeth)
    • There could be some places that you can't build a warper to.
    • The distance you can warp is really long, but still limited.
    • Normal warp pad would work only for people and smaller objects.
    • (Bigger one capable of transporting subs would be constructable with more materials. Distance would be more limited, and it'd consume even more power.)
    Mmmmh these are all great ideas I'd say :)

However I'd also suggest to have the capacity of warping only between bases with warping pads, rather than having the capacity of warping in a radius.

So it's easier to code and is kind of more limiting as you'd have to get there first
    However I'd also suggest to have the capacity of warping only between bases with warping pads, rather than having the capacity of warping in a radius.
    Yeah, warp should only work between 2 portal stations. What I meant is that there could ALSO be a limitation to the distance. Two warp pads with more distance between them than the max allowed wouldn't connect to each other. I'm not sure if we need that kind of limitation, it's just an idea for people to consider.
    mmmmh how about not putting a real limitation but just a proportional use of power?

Like for bigger distances more power is needed from both bases?
    mmmmh how about not putting a real limitation but just a proportional use of power?

Like for bigger distances more power is needed from both bases?
    Yeah, that sounds better. :)
  • conscioussoulconscioussoul Canada Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204607Members, Subnautica Playtester
    Also, one warper pod leads only to another warper pod, one on one. You decide target at build time, cannot be changed without destroying it. So in order to chain link all your bases you need to build two by base.
    I wouldn't let user chose any other warper in range at will, it really kills the experience and exploration.
  • DchicoteDchicote Germany Join Date: 2015-05-26 Member: 204901Members
    NOOOOOO  WARP !!!!!! Please !!!!!!
  • conscioussoulconscioussoul Canada Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204607Members, Subnautica Playtester
    What would be VERY cool is if the story, at some point toward the end game, requires you to do something that involves moving some sample of an artifact preserved in ice from a point A to point B very far from each other. The only way to make this happen without the ice to melt (loosing the sample to rot) would be to build bases in between point A and B, install chain warper pods and eventually manage to move super fast from point A to B.
    edited June 2015
    I disagree, it wouldn't kill the exploration, as i proposed before there would be a limitation imposed by the power.

And besides, in order to reach install the warp pod you'd have to reach the location and implant the base first, not to talk about the fact you'd need also to assure to that base too a large power supply to make it work.

Also, pardon my irony, the warpers aren't going to be in the safe shallows after all.
  • TerraBladeTerraBlade Join Date: 2015-05-25 Member: 204886Members
    That's kinda what came to my mind too, when i read about the warpers for the first time.

it think warping would need to cost such immense amount of energy to be balanced in any way, that it almost wouldn't pay off.
    I think the warpers would be a risk/reward thing. I mean, yeah you warp across the ocean...but what if you then had to be out in the open for reapers or are a bit to deep to get to the surface?

As for warping, it could be a range thing, with the need to place 'repeaters' after so long. This would also fix the issue of having multiple pads. But overall I don't think the concept would be worth it since outside of a very limited set of uses...why have it?
    As i suggested before, it would be to avoid repetitive/dangerous trips to locations you already saw, that would just take actual time.
  • FalcoFalco Germany Join Date: 2015-06-05 Member: 205271Members
    I suggest if you ever do such a thing that it doesn't allow living things to warp. It would make it easier to transfer a lot of resources from one place to another at the cost of lots of energy, but doesn't take away the time to travel to the other end to sort it all into lockers...
    edited June 2015
    As i suggested before, it would be to avoid repetitive/dangerous trips to locations you already saw, that would just take actual time.
    Personally I think if you need to make a trip back to a dangerous area enough times to justify building a teleporter, it would cheapen the game to have the teleporter. Danger needs to be present for the rewards and progression to be there. As much as I hate Reapers, the danger they pose makes the times I get around them and survive them all the sweeter, even if it slows down what i'm doing.

Falco said:
    I suggest if you ever do such a thing that it doesn't allow living things to warp. It would make it easier to transfer a lot of resources from one place to another at the cost of lots of energy, but doesn't take away the time to travel to the other end to sort it all into lockers...

This I can see if you teleport into a box, and if the box is to full to teleport then the teleport fails. With the capability to upgrade the box and to only have one box to teleporter ratio. I don't think the ability to hoover up resources constantly would be good for the game either in play or longevity.
    edited June 2015
    mmmmh how about an upgradable teleporter that starts by being able to teleport only small things, then by upgrading it becomes capable of teleporting a person, then the seamoth and in the end the cyclops.

And by the way, again the teleporter doesn't eliminate the danger, it would just eleminate the need of repetitive voyages completely, for example, let's say you built a base on the island, but you need to go back and forth to the safe shallows/grassy plateus for materials, that's not exiting or cool it's just boring.
    mmmmh how about an upgradable teleporter that starts by being able to teleport only small things, then by upgrading it becomes capable of teleporting a person, then the seamoth and in the end the cyclops.

And by the way, again the teleporter doesn't eliminate the danger, it would just eleminate the need of repetitive voyages completely, for example, let's say you built a base on the island, but you need to go back and forth to the safe shallows/grassy plateus for materials, that's not exiting or cool it's just boring.
    The first point would need to have some serious drawbacks. Either in building or using the teleporting, especially for subs, and preferably both. Maybe serious damage from the stress of the teleport.

As for the resource point...isn't that why we can build and use lockers on a mobile platform like the Cyclops? With a fabricator and two lockers I usually can get all I need and just have the sub parked there.
    but you'd still have to go back and forth between the two points...seeing again and again and again an environment you already saw and explored.

I agree on the drawbacks however and i think that this was implied.
    but you'd still have to go back and forth between the two points...seeing again and again and again an environment you already saw and explored.

I agree on the drawbacks however and i think that this was implied.
    As long as certain items are in certain biomes you will always have this. You can't get quartz on the seabed biome, and you can't get silver in the shallows. So revisiting areas until they need to respawn or are exhausted of materials is simply par for the course of things.
    i was thinking about the fact you'd have to spend time travelling back in forth actually, the warp pad would just be a time saver.

I'm sorry if i'm not being clear about this.
    edited June 2015
    i was thinking about the fact you'd have to spend time travelling back in forth actually, the warp pad would just be a time saver.

I'm sorry if i'm not being clear about this.
    No I understand your point, but I just don't see as much of a gain from this as simply using the sub as a mobile command point. Even if you were to have these pads, you would need to find some what to build a relay system (because not having that would be game breaking in my opinion). So the time, cost, and effort to build such a system...well the sub would just be faster and cheaper overall.

An emergency warp system that took an upgrade slot and maybe had some heavy drawbacks to use...that makes sense since things like the Cyclops and Seamoth could get expensive to replace depending on what gets invested in them. But for a single person, that just raises a lot of problems even on a seabase only kind of level.
    edited June 2015
    I see your point and at any rate if they do implement the solar panels for the cyclops i see there would be no need for warp pads.

Oh and i agree on the idea of an emergency warp system, now that i think about it would be better than an interbase connection for the single player :)
    well i actually dont' see the need of a relay system, i think that a proportionated system would more advantageous and keep the game stable.

But at any rate if they do implement the solar panels for the cyclops i see there would be no need for warp pads.

Oh and i agree on the idea of an emergency warp system, now that i think about it would be better than an interbase connection for the single player :)
    See right there is a problem. How do you prevent the player from getting into areas that they wouldn't or shouldn't normally be able to get to? If you remove the concept of danger, and thus the importance of picking a good location for the base, then you could be causing issues.

For example, the reapers are supposed to keep you from getting to the Aurora before you have at least a Seamoth and welder. But you could just hide in wreckage, throw down the teleporter, leave the area to clear the spawn, and then re-enter the portal. You have now cheated the system and invalidated the threat of the Reaper in a large degree, so now the devs would need to patch that issue which could cause even more issues.
    edited June 2015
    mmmmh how about just not allowing you to put teleporters in these areas?

Also don't forget that teleproters would be placed into bases, since they'd need a huge energy supply to work, and i don't think that putting a base on Aurora would be possible, or even that convenient, as you'd come there mostly just to get the power module, the mecha suit and repair the reactors, (and even if the devs will put more stuff on it, i don't think you'd visit it very very often) and once you have done that, coming back there would be pointless, making putting a teleporter there just a big waste of machinery and resources, since you'd really use it just one time, or anyways not that often to justify the usage of it.

A teleporter to be really useful should be put on a route you use often.
    mmmmh how about just not allowing you to put teleporters in these areas?

Also don't forget that teleproters would be placed into bases, since they'd need a huge energy supply to work, and i don't think that putting a base on Aurora would be possible, or even that convenient, as you'd come there mostly just to get the power module, the mecha suit and repair the reactors, (and even if the devs will put more stuff on it, i don't think you'd visit it very very often) and once you have done that, coming back there would be pointless, making putting a teleporter there just a big waste of machinery and resources, since you'd really use it just one time, or anyways not that often to justify the usage of it.

A teleporter to be really useful should be put on a route you use often.
    You can build on the aurora, people have done it.

The point is that not having the limitation of having to build a relay system for great distances opens problems, and being able to set up your own teleportation system with restrictions could pose a multiple problems just for being there in general.

The emergency teleport system would be fine, as it could be kind of a second chance if you screw stuff up or if stuff is getting wrecked while you are away from it. But an on demand teleport system I feel just poses to many problems for the things it would alleviate.
    edited June 2015
    you mean you don't think that the power restriction and the fact that to built each teleporter you'd need very hard to find materials from hazardous areas?

however i completely agree on the emergency warp, it would be good, like for example if your seamoth gets trapped somewhere or if your cyclops is flooding with water on the bottom of the ocean
    you mean you don't think that the power restriction and the fact that to built each teleporter you'd need very hard to find materials from hazardous areas?

however i completely agree on the emergency warp, it would be good, like for example if your seamoth gets trapped somewhere or if your cyclops is flooding with water on the bottom of the ocean
    Yes, power will eventually be something circumvented by alternative sources according to the dev Trello pages. It just seems the more I think on it the more problems it could present. I would rather have faster subs, or at least upgrades, that made travel time less tedious then introduce something that could just cheapen the overall experience.
    Well i see your point, with the arrival of the nuclear reactors it would be easy to get energy...

However still i don't see a way to overcome the limitation of getting the materials to built the teleporters, if you think there is a way to overcome that too please tell.