Aquatic Elevator

AlphaBlueArxAlphaBlueArx Join Date: 2015-05-11 Member: 204402Members
Hey guys I started thinking about this since the first time i arrived at the island!

Why not adding an elevator capable of transport you from surface to bottom?

That you could place above the eye of the island and use it to reach a submarine base below without needing to use the seamoth?

Comments

• drakueldrakuel california Join Date: 2015-06-04 Member: 205230Members
    You can build this yourself already... Take a rock formation , build platforms and stacking tubes going down with ladders between them.. Make windows on the side for cool viewing as you descend. It is more manual then a elevator but accomplishes the same at the end. 

For me not sure why it is needed since you have a sub that takes you down in style. Elevators are so static in design, only good for one area to go up or down to. I like the fact I can build bases at core areas of the ocean, what I call farm hubs and travel between them with my vehicles. 

Currently I built a pipe from the top to the entrance of a deep cave, this gave me constant flow of air to allow me to build a base into the cave entrance. This will be my first science lab, I will use this as my starting point to map the cave system.  This is just one example, but you could build small bases at each bio, rich in resources and travel with your sub between them, stalking up on rations for your mainbase. 

By the way dev's.. Your building system and the pipe tool is spot on! I love those pipes, is helping me tremendously on building a deeper base. 

• AlphaBlueArxAlphaBlueArx Join Date: 2015-05-11 Member: 204402Members
    edited June 2015
    I know i can built a "ladder" but still, to make it cover great distances, it would take a lot of titanium, and a lot of time to built every module and the ladders inside...

An elevator would be quicker to make, and more realistic too.

And besides, i'm sure an elevator takes less energy than a submarine, considering also that you'll soon be able to power up your bases with solar and nuclear power.
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    edited June 2015
    Might as well go for the whole hog and suggest a dedicated bathysphere/DSV for some serious abyssal exploration. 

As much fun as it may sound, I'm none too keen on watching the Cyclops implode while I'm inside it.  I love my little 'Winnebago Of The Deep'.

However, those abyssal canyons aren't going to explore themselves.  This sounds like a job for the Exo-Suit, assuming that it will be designed specifically for operating at extreme depth and have a reasonable amount of power as well as life-support capability.   This means NO panicky free-ascents from 10,000+ metres, just because the blasted thing ran out of juice only five minutes into the dive. 

It's a wearable deep-sea Mecha, for Pete's sake!  

Assume that it's powered by a compact fusion reactor.  Gets its fuel directly from the ocean.  It also has bulk power to spare.  This means plenty of Oxygen (delivered at a normal 1 ATM pressure)  for the pilot, since it's a by-product of the electrolytic process that splits seawater into hydrogen and oxygen.  You'll probably be able to extract minerals directly from seawater, and use them as raw materials in an onboard Fabricator.  Ideally, one of the Exo-Suit's manipulator claws could have the Fabricator's emitters built in, so that the pilot doesn't have to leave the suit in order to build, reclaim or repair underwater structures.

I've got my fingers crossed, hoping desperately for a properly-designed Exo Suit.  

While we're still on the subject; I'll take one with the full 'Off-Road Sports Pack', thanks.    Prismatic paint job, bull bar, on-board cargo locker and multi-spectral headlights. 

Got a 'thing' for IR & UV imaging, in case you haven't noticed. :)

I also think that an emergency teleport or tractor-beam might be a good idea.   There's no denying it, the Exo-Suit would be a painfully slow mode of transport, so a teleport or tractor beam would make sense as a last-ditch escape.  In an extreme emergency, the 'Teleport' command would drain all of the Exo-Suit's remaining power to transport the suit to the nearest base or its docking facility aboard the Cyclops.   There would need to be an inviolable reserve of 5% power kept available to use this feature.  Once this feature is used, the Exo-Suit will require at least one day/night cycle to completely recharge.

No sense making things TOO easy.

To balance things out, the tractor beam can only be used when the Cyclops is directly overhead.   A 'pinger' HUD panel in the Exo-Suit could be used to indicate whether or not the player is inside the tractor beam's target area.  The suit will return to its docking and recharge station aboard the Cyclops.

Incidentally, if that mining drill is going to be included as one of the Exo-Suit's available tools in the finished version, at least make it capable of delivering a wicked boron nitride-tipped hickey to Mister Reaper.  Yes, it's all jolly fun to plod around the sea-bed in a Spam can, but there's no real reason to make our Survivor totally vulnerable to everything meaner than a ticked-off Peeper.  

If the Exo-Suit can withstand abyssal water pressure, a Reaper Leviathan's final embrace could be shrugged off as unwelcome foreplay.

Ever wanted to perform unnecessary root canal therapy on something annoying?  
    Now's your chance.  

A batysphere! this sounds even better! :D
  • TerraBladeTerraBlade Join Date: 2015-05-25 Member: 204886Members
    I think the suit is supposed to have an underwater 'jetpack' for ascending/jumping. You can see what seems to be thrusters on the back of the concept art.

As for an elevator I'm all for it. I just wonder what will happen once we have critters able to attack our base? As cool as it would be to have my base 'dangle' from the natural pool of the island, if something cut it do I lose all my stuff?

But yeah, an elevator is much more efficient then having to swim to my sub and pilot it; and if we could have a way to integrate the constructor to a surface structure along with solar arrays I think it would be awesome.
    edited June 2015
    Thank you Terrablade, about the cable problem probably we could have an hard light cable (with the same principle of an hard light bridge) that would inattackable because it's made of light.
  • TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
    Thank you Terrablade, about the cable problem probably we could have an hard light cable (with the same principle of an hard light bridge) that would inattackable because it's made of light.
    I like the word inattackable. I don't think I've ever seen it used (it is a real word). :smile: 

Anyways, why can't the elevator just be a long tube, like the vertical section that is going to be added?
    How about just an hardlight tube?

I like the idea of hardlight devices so it would be able to cover great distances and it could adapt to the depth.
    I like the word inattackable. I don't think I've ever seen it used (it is a real word). :smile: 

Anyways, why can't the elevator just be a long tube, like the vertical section that is going to be added?

Nothing says it can't be, but what happens if we have something hanging instead of building up from the ground, and it gets damaged?

I like the idea of hardlight devices so it would be able to cover great distances and it could adapt to the depth.

Considering we haven't seen that sort of technology that might feel out of place. Cool, but out of place. There would have to be other applications of hard light or it would really stick out, so it would depend on the dev's plans and aesthetics choices.
    edited June 2015
    Well i was thinking that since Subnautica is set at a time where humans are capable of using advanced 3D printers, dark matter as a propulsion source, and even terraforming, the hard light technology would have already been longly discovered.
    Well i was thinking that since Subnautica is set at a time where humans are capable of using advanced 3D printers, dark matter as a propulsion source, and even terraforming, the hard light technology would have already been longly discovered.
    Dark matter reactors is kind of an informed thing, they look...well like big metal tubes. They could be broken propulsion incentivizes just as easily as a reactor. Terraforming is more picking up dirt, storing it, and spitting it back out which makes it a glorified shovel. 3D printing can already do some amazing things, even biological 3D printing which puts it not that far off from current tech actually. The most sci-fi of the things in game would be the stasis gun and propulsion gun....not sure why but they don't feel like they stick out aesthetically. Could be because we have seen so much of that kind of stuff in other games at this point.

Hard light though isn't really something present in any tech or game yet. Like I said it isn't something that can't be done, but to make it stand out less we would need to see some more of it on the Aurora or incorporated somehow with other gear. But I feel if I saw it right now in the game I would find it a bit jarring in contrast to other gear.
  • FalcoFalco Germany Join Date: 2015-06-05 Member: 205271Members
    I think it'd be a nice idea to build something like an elevator. Currently ladders are very unpleasant to use over multiple floors and take up lots and lots of resources. I'd imagine a simple steel cord, anchored in the ocean floor and having a large floating body up top. You hook into it with some kind of motor and let yourself be pulled down/up by your hand held device. Kinda like a hookshot, but with the hook already being in place and static. I imagine a length of steel wire, floating in the ocean is easier built than 20 or so pressurized compartments, connected by ladders.
    Just an Idea though, I'm currently not too unhappy about the way things are.
    It would also be nice if you could have a dive weight, kinda like you have the air bladder.
  • TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
    edited June 2015

Nothing says it can't be, but what happens if we have something hanging instead of building up from the ground, and it gets damaged?

Considering we haven't seen that sort of technology that might feel out of place. Cool, but out of place. There would have to be other applications of hard light or it would really stick out, so it would depend on the dev's plans and aesthetics choices.
    Well, hardlight is either a misnomer, or impossible. It would be better if the elevator used scaled propulsion cannon technology. Plus the devs wouldn't have to create any new effects for it.

Well, hardlight is either a misnomer, or impossible. It would be better if the elevator used scaled propulsion cannon technology. Plus the devs wouldn't have to create any new effects for it.
    Light has properties of mass so it could be used to build a bridge. But it would be more of a 'look what I can do' then a practical application on any scale. But then again maybe not given the right technology. Either way, it would stand out at this point, whereas even having a pod that used motors to drive up and down cables would be much more in tune with what we have seen thus far.
    edited June 2015

Light has properties of mass so it could be used to build a bridge. But it would be more of a 'look what I can do' then a practical application on any scale. But then again maybe not given the right technology. Either way, it would stand out at this point, whereas even having a pod that used motors to drive up and down cables would be much more in tune with what we have seen thus far.
    Woah, woah, woah... let's not get ahead of ourselves here. The mass properties of photons have yet to be determined by science. I'm using the most widely accepted theory that photons are massless particles. Even if they do have mass, it would be negligible and not practice for bridge building. Anyways, the hard light bridges in Portal are meant to be a subtle joke.

If something like hard light did exist, why not use it for everything? Perhaps the tools the player creates can be made from hard light. I do agree, a fanciful technology like hard light would be drastically out of place.

Woah, woah, woah... let's not get ahead of ourselves here. The mass properties of photons have yet to be determined by science. I'm using the most widely accepted theory that photons are massless particles. Even if they do have mass, it would be negligible and not practice for bridge building. Anyways, the hard light bridges in Portal are meant to be a subtle joke.

If something like hard light did exist, why not use it for everything? Perhaps the tools the player creates can be made from hard light. I do agree, a fanciful technology like hard light would be drastically out of place.

Actually it has been shown for a long time that photons have properties of both electromagnetic energy and actual elemental mass, and also have been able to be slowed and speed up in the same manner as mass can be. Therefore, they could be caught to build a bridge. However the resulting energy and the required technology would be so out there that it would probably never come to a practical application.

In terms of gameplay where such things could be done it still probably wouldn't work very well anyway. The easiest way to do it would be to either create a constant effect and just have a tube...to which it would be hard to cap. Or it would be an effect that turned on and off as needed, so then what happens if something happens to be in the tube when it's turned on. Not that any of these things can't be fixed, but just more problems and probably not the most elegant way to do a simple elevator.

The simplest way would be to have a vertical tube, build an elevator on the floor much like a ladder, and then build up the tubes and repeat the floor you wish to terminate the elevator at. While it would be nice to have the elevator run and see out the tube as we ascend and descend, those effects can be added later. That would only leave the question of that happens when we build down and form a hanging structure, but I assume since bases can take damage it has already been thought of in advance by the devs.
    well actually the advantage of hard light technology (or force field technology wanting to make it feel closer to the game) would be that once you built the generator of it, it would go down indefinately until it reaches the bottom, saving you a ton of titanium and resources I'd say.

Maybe to built the tube we could adopt a technology similar to the dark matter containment field, only less concentrated.
    Hmm. Idly wondering if a 'hard light' bridge could be (if it could be) made of polarons.

The 'light' is merely a helpful side-effect caused by the excitation of free photons surrounding the polaron beam.

Shiny.
    Assuming that real-world atmospheric physics is involved, there's one major flaw with having elevators in an underwater base: Compression effects.

Imagine that you have a nice little habitat perched on the side of an DEEP oceanic trench.

By carefully crunching the numbers, you managed to construct it without totally losing structural integrity in the process. It was tight. Damned tight.

Somehow, you succeeded. Downside, there isn't a speck of titanium left on the seabed for kilometres around, but what the heck, It's Miller Time.

There's an access module located precisely at sea level, containing a Fabricator station, a couple of storage lockers and a sort of cute foyer arrangement for the elevator.

Time to head down, eh?

As you speed downwards grooving to the sweet sounds of Kenny G, take a moment to reflect upon what's physically happening in that 2000-metre tube below your feet.

Air is being compressed. BIG-TIME.

Your elevator capsule will be acting like a piston all the way down the elevator shaft. After travelling roughly 1000 metres (give or take a few hundred), sufficient pressure will have accumulated to blow the base below into confetti. Remember that the base construction process was something of a juggling-act to begin with? Any additional air pressure generated during your descent could work against the current (static) hull integrity of your base modules.

Hull integrity might not fail immediately.

It could possibly fail during your first elevator ascent. Massive inrush of abyssal water pressure. WHOOSH.

On the 'plus' side, you might even achieve orbital velocity.

Downside: You're in an elevator. Otis doesn't make service calls outside the Sol system.
    edited June 2015
    mmmmh good points, however we could implement the hull upgradres on the elevator too, like on the cyclops, making sure it can reach greater depths (even if it might sound more like a batisphere).

And by the way, i don't think that putting an elevator on the edge of a trench to go down it would be a good idea, like what could you get inside of a trench anyways? unless they put some kind of very very rare resource inside of it or another reason to go inside of it often there would be no point into building something to reach that area.

And besides in my points i suggested having an hardlight/force-field based elevator that would need materials only for the field generator and the capsule.
    Okay. I'm a grumpy old fart. I freely admit it.

A cleverly-designed elevator pod and shaft would have integral pressure venting or equalisation systems. I'm assuming that the pod will be travelling on magnetic levitation tracks, and would be a fairly tight fit in the elevator shaft. Whatever the case, most of your base's O2 will be headed 'thataway' each time you use the elevator, unless it's piped back to an on-board storage tank farm. It could also vent out of the base's moon pool, although that would be an extremely wasteful method.

The point is, whenever it comes down to a serious tussle between atmospheric pressure and hydrostatic pressure, water ALWAYS wins.

Water pressure is brutal, and utterly merciless.

This is why 'depth charging' in an above-ground swimming pool or a corrugated iron water tank is a VERY bad idea.

Any sudden, drastic increase in hydrostatic (water) pressure in these flimsy structures is enough to either rupture the tank walls or flatten the pool. Seriously.

YouTube has plenty of clips showing what happens when someone 'bombs' in an above-ground pool.

Mercifully, no-one films what happens when a playful water tank 'bomb' goes wrong.

edited June 2015
    Hem for very very long depths, it would be better to use a batysphere than an elevator, an elevator could work for short medium depths like from surface to say 100-200 meters, while the batysphere could reach even 11000 (which is the record set by the Trieste when it almost reached the bottom of the Marianne trench)
    Bugzapper said:
    Assuming that real-world atmospheric physics is involved, there's one major flaw with having elevators in an underwater base: Compression effects.

Which is the same reason most elevators on the surface don't fit snugly into their tubes either. Even if they did, reduced speed and and proper venting systems would let pressure equalize. I'm not sure how they plan to deal with this in RL, but in my mind you would need to have a series of valves that would correspond to different pressures. Otherwise the pressure would be to great at the end of the 'straw' and would crush the tube.

But since this is a game, I don't think they will go as far as real-world atmospheric pressures. Unless more of us have super-computers then I last checked. Same reason I don't expect to see sediment kicked up to reduce visibility every time we get near the floor bed.