Ns2_Stratos

13»

Comments

• MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    edited September 2014
    I would prefer A too, but a connectivity between cargo and bridge would be better, not to the room between arsenal and bridge
  • FivzFivz Join Date: 2013-05-01 Member: 185072Members
    I would prefer A too, but a connectivity between cargo and bridge would be better, not to the room between arsenal and bridge
    So a mix between path A and B where top is A and bottom is B
  • usermcwusermcw Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58349Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I want to see path A.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    @Fivz

Concerning cargo FPS drop :
    (I looked into it )

The cargo area (as in the editor layer) contains :

180 Lights : You may want to reduce that number. All Spot Light I selected was casting shadows when some aren't necessary (behind a pipeline/tube). You may also want to reduce the number of ambient light. Remove one, extending the area size of another one.
    603 props : I believe some object are more complex to render. Track'em, Find'em, Throw'em.
    2402 faces : Wow... that is not a big issue in itself. Try not to add more... :)
    19 entities : Some animated entities are FPS killers like Steam jets.

Occlusion :
    Your occlusion geometry is made as one piece. It may be one issue. I cut mine in many parts and got FPS improvements. Just select an area then Ctrl+X/Ctrl+V and you will be able to cut it easily into many pieces.

Concerning Cargo, yes a North/South connection would help. I'm not selecting any of the scenario as you are and stay the artist.
  • usermcwusermcw Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58349Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Gameplay on public server 8vs8

Working on the ready room

You'll probably know where the secret room's going to be If you know where this is from.

hDA8i4h.png
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    Fcking Dark Souls Anor Londo YAY
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited September 2014
    I finally had a chance to play stratos on a public server the other night. It was quite confusing to navigate - the alien team actually cheered when one of them managed to find their way into the center of the map.

Stratos has far too many dead ends and bendy corridors. On a map with a good layout you should be able to get across the map on auto pilot, without having to back out of dead-ends and vents that go in the wrong direction. On a related note it might be worth doing some tweaking on what bits of geometry appear on the minimap. A decent part of the reason the map is so difficult to navigate is because the minimap makes it look like you can walk through those rooms with windows (The one at the bottom left of the map caught me a decent number of times).

[EDIT] Nevertheless it is quite a pretty map.
    I've tried to remove more objects so that the mini map looks clearer but for some stupid reason the procedure does not work. It renders everything in the overview regardless if I make it minimap invisible or not. The way I had to do it was to make a backup file and manually delete anything I don't want to show on the minimap.

Oh yes, I've finished the ready room and now working on the 2 hallways. The map should be updated soon.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Fivz wrote: »
    I've tried to remove more objects so that the mini map looks clearer but for some stupid reason the procedure does not work. It renders everything in the overview regardless if I make it minimap invisible or not. The way I had to do it was to make a backup file and manually delete anything I don't want to show on the minimap.

Oh yes, I've finished the ready room and now working on the 2 hallways. The map should be updated soon.

Making it CommanderInvisible should do the trick. Also remove all unnecessary geometry between rooms, that's most likely where the connections on the minimap come from.
    Making it CommanderInvisible doesn't change the overview for me. That's the whole problem. Even the exteriors of the map (which is not connected to anything) are still being shown on the minimap.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Making it CommanderInvisible doesn't change the overview for me. That's the whole problem. Even the exteriors of the map (which is not connected to anything) are still being shown on the minimap.

In the prop, set "Commander Alpha" to 0. :)
    the problem is not me not adding something into a group or setting alpha on or off. It's the program itself that is not working properly.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    the problem is not me not adding something into a group or setting alpha on or off. It's the program itself that is not working properly.

It is; if you proceed the right way. Use Launchpad then from there use editor and the builder. A lot of things just make your life easier.

The minimap becomes the least of your concern when it's done automatically by the builder. No trick and command lines, just use "Rebuild".
    Done. Now to fix this overview problem.
    edited September 2014
    Map has been updated

Change Log
    -Re-arranged props at Cargo
    -Decreased amount of props and lights at Cargo
    -Fixed Dark corner at Bridge
    -Fixed graphic errors in vents
    -Relocated RT in Lobby
    -Relocated Power Point in Observation
    -Added cyst behind Hive in Biolab
    -Added a north and south hallway at cargo
    Loving the new rr, so accurately designed !

Btw you have something floating in the air in Cargo
    pUMvbYv.jpg
    Whoops. Should be fixed now.
    I like your readyroom. I think I found your secret room.
    Spoiler alert!

Maybe I should make a secret secret room...hmm
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Maybe I should make a secret secret room...hmm
    From now on your mapping in ns2 will be dedicated to making a secret room inside secret room inside a secret room.... and so on. Secretroomception
    Hi,

@Fivz‌

Apparently a face is not there (or on some other group/layer) so we can go out.
    In Mess hall

201138daff0ec4a57a32353e27d91e.jpg

656db7cf6d7da8fc27f3cd4e8b1dd0.jpg

I don't know how that face was removed but it should be fixed now.
  • [=Alex=][=Alex=] Join Date: 2008-12-25 Member: 65866Members, Squad Five Blue
    I played this map yesterday Well, what I can say, it's beautiful full of details plays well do not easily lose because every site is different from the other.
    I'm obsessed with textures and here are perfect.
    It really looks like an official map.

I loved it!