please help me with DEMO files .dem

MRDMRD Join Date: 2004-02-06 Member: 26167Members
hi i would really like some help to watch playback .dem files from ns 1.04 or the patch after that mabie the patch after that also whot do i need to do to play the demo files whot version to install and mabie a program to watch them with may be better i just dont know please help
im starting from
nothing installed at all

Comments

• MRDMRD Join Date: 2004-02-06 Member: 26167Members
    ok so far i got out a old cd of hl installed it updated hf installed 1.04 installed 2.0 copyed all dem files to ns dir and i get " warning cannot open valve halflife wad " but at least console opens now without crashing geez this is fukaries
    i even got some demo viewer and tried to fix the demo files from possible damaged or corruptness + remove sprites that may cause errors and still nothing can i upload a file to someone just to test they even work ?
    [exe] ns_install_v1.exe 90.8 MB
    [exe] ns_install_v3.exe 139.8 MB
    [exe] ns_install_v3_b1.exe 155.1 MB
    [exe] ns_install_v3_b2_patch.exe 9.2 MB
    [exe] ns_install_v3_b5.exe 152.1 MB
    [exe] ns_install_v20.exe 116.3 MB
    [exe] ns_install_v31.exe 143.3 MB
    [exe] ns_install_v32-beta1.exe 151.4 MB
    [exe] ns_install_v32-beta2.exe 151.9 MB
    [rar] ns_install_v32-beta_demobugfix.rar 1.2 MB
    [exe] ns_install_v32.exe 149.0 MB
    [exe] ns_patch_v31.exe 17.8 MB
    [exe] ns_v30_b3_patch.exe 24.6 MB
    [exe] ns_v30_b4a_patch.exe 5.4 MB
    [exe] ns_v30_b4_patch.exe 36.1 MB
    CAN ANYONE TELL ME FOR CERTAIN WITCH OF THESE NS VERSIONS IS 47.5
    I HAVE INSTALLED THEM ALL ONE BUY ONE AND STILL CANT GET VERSION 47.5
  • tschumanntschumann Australia Join Date: 2010-05-26 Member: 71862Members
    Where did you get version 47.5 from?
    edited January 2015
    tschumann wrote: »
    Where did you get version 47.5 from?
    from console after i type playedemo "blahblah" says playback error demo version 47.5 gameversion 47 46 46.5 ect
    can a custom x hair or gun flash sprite or even a console custom picture in the drop down console stop demo's from playing or is it server side downloads like quakesounds or other add on's that may cause a wad error
  • GiGaBiTeGiGaBiTe Join Date: 2003-10-07 Member: 21489Members
    "Version 47.5" doesn't exist.

The version it's referring to is the networking protocol, not the mod version. Half-Life has been through three protocol versions on Steam (46, 47 and 48.) Trying to run a demo from an older version of Half-Life on protocol 46 isn't going to run on a newer version of Half-Life that uses protocol 47 or 48. The same is true in reverse if you encounter the rare situation that demands it.

There is a way to modify demo headers to compensate for version differences, but it's been so long since I have had to do it that I don't remember how. There may still be some old threads on this forum on how to do it, try using Google to search for something like "Half-Life old demos won't play" or something.

Assuming you get past that headache, you'll need the exact version of the map it was recorded on, and any dependencies that the map needs. At bare minimum, you'll need the BSP and the texture WADs.
    There is a way to modify demo headers to compensate for version differences, but it's been so long since I have had to do it that I don't remember how. There may still be some old threads on this forum on how to do it, try using Google to search for something like "Half-Life old demos won't play" or something.

i been looking for month's trawling demo; viewer's , .dem updaters and and protocal updaters for halflife , but still cant get them to work , im at my wits end but i just cant give up tbh i dont give a fuk about the games tbh i just want to hear my dead friend's voice agian.
    cheers anyway