Image Dump from the Years of Playtesting

IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
edited May 2015 in NS2 General Discussion
So I've been obsessively taking random pictures over the years of NS2's development since the very first engine test (I've lost everything prior to build 178 though :neutral: ) - especially bugs and odd things.
It's just something I do.. I don't know why, exactly.. maybe just for the potential for when documentation is needed, maybe because I'm a weird fella.

Recently, I've noticed that I have over 4,000 pictures in my folder... So I decided now would be a good time to maybe share it with everyone, after I've chopped it down to 268 pictures from weeding out the many many debug / painfully boring shots.

I warn you that it can still be extremely boring or not obvious what is wrong in every picture, some of it is just there for reminiscing.
But who knows, maybe somebody out there will get a kick out of visiting the past or getting a glimpse of the zany stuff we've ran into over the years? :sunglasses:
Enjoy

http://imgur.com/a/s3Nej#0

Edit: Days later I've realized that stupid imgur only allowed 150 of the 268 pics. Here's the link to Part 2:

http://imgur.com/a/qanaq#0

Comments

• aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited May 2015
    Hehe, nice! I still remember the dynamic squad system in some of those shots that never really worked. Also, the engine test was pretty much unplayable but it was still exciting to play a little bit of NS2.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I like seeing the really old versions of maps. Spotted what I think was an early greybox version of descent! :D Anybody have those versions?
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    oh GL Attachment, how i miss you.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    unlimited clogs \o/
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    My problem is that I only take screenshots when something is broken. Whenever I want to show someone a cool screenshot of NS2 I only have screenshots of stuck location coordinates, z-fighting textures and building placement exploits.
  • KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nice job mate.

I always enjoy looking back at past map designs to see how much the levels have changed over time.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Hmm.. I left out most of the gray box / unused room, map related stuff, too.
    Thought it would've been too boring, and that's why the only map related stuff you see is large issues like gigantic holes we'd fall through while testing etc
    Maybe I'll sort through and make a separate album..
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Also, I am surprised no one has pointed out the accidental-yet-almost-implemented Lerk Lift pic wedged in there
    nL1kJmX.jpg
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Thought it would've been too boring, and that's why the only map related stuff you see is large issues like gigantic holes we'd fall through while testing etc

Please do! I'd love to see old greyboxes of descent, biodome, and earlier maps too. It's interesting to see how much maps have changed over time.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    IronHorse wrote: »

Please do! I'd love to see old greyboxes of descent, biodome, and earlier maps too. It's interesting to see how much maps have changed over time.

Yeah it's actually amazing how the maps changed from indev to first release and on
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Descent was a prison ship or something. Check it out on the old thread. I think it was called Lockdown.
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    I see pics of the world upside down as a skulk and it makes me sad. :(

• GameOverGameOver Germany Join Date: 2003-10-15 Member: 21700Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Image 57: Epic Gorge Wall
    edited May 2015
    lol yea @GameOver
    That was when clogs were just implemented and being tested (notice the model?) - the devs did not believe a cool down was necessary so we as the PT team demonstrated why it was needed...
    instantly replaceable damage absorbing walls was hysterically OP!

For anyone looking for a sexy wallpaper, image #108 is what Refinery's Lava Falls looked like before enough feedback was given that advocated to tone down the lava effects (I miss it)
    #139 was an endearing method of juggling / catching Bilebomb on a gorge's back.
    #142 and 143 was a fun showstopper that killed anything in a radius around the comm chair when it closed. The ultimate base defense!

WTF.. I just realized Imgur only uploaded 150 images out of the 268.. Editing OP to include the remainder.

Here's part 2 :

http://imgur.com/a/qanaq#0

• KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2015
    Awesome! Thanks mate.

Double res in lava falls....That would have made it interesting.