Multiplayer? Yay or Nay?

ZundyZundy UK Join Date: 2015-03-26 Member: 202589Members

Comments

• SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    Just as an FYI I think the Devs said even if multiplayer was implemented it would only be at max 4 players... Pretty sure
  • ZergonuzZergonuz USA Join Date: 2015-04-08 Member: 203114Members
    edited April 2015
    Seldkam wrote: »
    Just as an FYI I think the Devs said even if multiplayer was implemented it would only be at max 4 players... Pretty sure

They said they want to have it implemented, but it would take a lot of resources and time which they don't have at the moment. Therefor it would be towards the end of production, if it is at all.
  • BFliPBFliP Netherlands Join Date: 2015-03-16 Member: 202211Members
    Definitely multiplayer. As much as I enjoy diving around in Subnautica and my friends doing the same in their solo game over Skype, I rather be in the same water as them diving together with them any time.
  • LagiacrusLagiacrus USA Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203475Members
    I'd greatly enjoy multiplayer! My only concern is that three or more players might be too much of a strain on the game, and the devs would have to spend more time and effort making it work.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    It would add a lot to the game to have another player(s) swimming next to you as you explore the world. If the goal is have player created stories, that would augment that goal quite a bit.
  • theodoulostheodoulos United States Join Date: 2015-04-14 Member: 203448Members
    So assuming that a multiplayer will come out, should it be by lobby or invite only?
  • ZundyZundy UK Join Date: 2015-03-26 Member: 202589Members
    theodoulos wrote: »
    So assuming that a multiplayer will come out, should it be by lobby or invite only?

Both I guess? Public and Private games.
  • SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    Zergonuz wrote: »

They said they want to have it implemented, but it would take a lot of resources and time which they don't have at the moment. Therefor it would be towards the end of production, if it is at all.

Well they mentioned that restriction a very long time ago, maybe we are referring to different posts
  • AliBAliB Join Date: 2015-04-21 Member: 203699Members
    I think a mp would be cool. Teaming up against giant sea monsters with a fleet of Cyclopses and seamoths... enough said. But only a descent amount of Players so it's not losing too much of its athmosphere.
  • JdcobraJdcobra Michigan Join Date: 2015-04-23 Member: 203769Members
    Though I do not own the game currently (I plan to buy it soon), My friend and I would really think multiplayer would be a great idea for this game... I will definitely buy it if Multiplayer is planned
  • tarektarek lebanon Join Date: 2015-04-10 Member: 203241Members
    CO-OP with my better half would be a dream :P
  • xerxysxerxys Berlin, DE Join Date: 2015-03-23 Member: 202471Members
    I was really into Reign of Kings when it was first released a couple of months ago: building a base that required the collection of raw ingredients and processing these into building materials. But every server ended up infested with selfish and spiteful people that tore apart everything everybody would create and sucked the fun from the game. I really like base-building, for it's own sake. If I'm going to play with other people, there has to be a way of protecting what you build, or promoting co-operative, rather than competitive play. Spending hours creating something to find it smashed and gutted the next time you log on is the quickest way to get me to put down a game.
  • DarakDarak EU Join Date: 2015-04-25 Member: 203813Members
    In my humble opinion I'd prefer their limited resources to remain focused in the single player aspect, at least until most planned features are implemented up to a reasonable endgame.
  • SgtHydraSgtHydra Join Date: 2007-11-29 Member: 63046Members
    If there is a multiplayer mode, there needs to be well established roles and objectives that prevent people from getting bored and just spamming the map with subs and bases, or ripping bases and subs apart.

I think it's doable, especially by the team that made NS2. It'll just take a lot of effort, and people who say that single player should be focused on are correct. Multiplayer in Subnautica needs to be something revolutionary for the survival/exploration genre. That'll take time. Perhaps even be an entire expansion to the base game.
  • Wolf2000Wolf2000 Join Date: 2015-03-14 Member: 202116Members
    if they do give the ability to add many people to one world, i feel like they will need to add a lot more things. in single player i personally feel like there is just enough going on for one person and maybe a bit too little for 2 people but not too bad. If i try to imagine 3 or 4 people i feel like the world will feel too empty for all those people so they will need to find a way to fill it up a bit more for those extra people without making the game seem to crowded 
  • Brad2810Brad2810 Join Date: 2013-03-24 Member: 184313Members
    Yes, but only after release. and it shouldn't be any more than 2-4.
    so, with your friends only, explore together ect.

any more than that and the feel of the game is ruined, and you get those large servers with people griefing each other (aka every survival multiplayer ever)
  • KanekiKenKanekiKen 20th ward Join Date: 2015-04-30 Member: 203964Members
    Id at least like to see co-op so me and at least one of my buddies can play, I can see this being fun as hell with co-op but not if the servers are huge, there would be to many ways to grief and lag a server, so just co-op. :) My opinion.
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    Still dead-set against the idea of multiplayer. Not budging an inch on this one.

If there *must* be a multiplayer mode, make it optional and have all resources re-spawn after a certain time. Nothing quite like greedy team-mates to completely kill a game.

Failing that, turn Subnautica into a lame-o, same-o FPS and have done with it.
  • SkizomeuhSkizomeuh France Join Date: 2015-04-29 Member: 203939Members
    Yes for the multiplayer, but not mandatory.

Must be co-op, I don't get the point of competitive modes. Must be limited to a small team, working together to settle, explore, analize. World danger must scale with the number of players.

It would be a great - but not easy to develop - addition, it should still stay fairly low-priority as long as all key features are not finished/set.
  • KILLTHISKILLTHIS Germany Join Date: 2015-05-02 Member: 204051Members
    Yes, please. A friend of mine really digs the game as well, but she's terribly scared of the dark (at some point I can't get further since my heart's pounding like crazy as well) so I think it would be pretty nice to play cooperative.
  • someone_elsesomeone_else south africa Join Date: 2015-05-02 Member: 204055Members
    the reason why i would prefer more than 4 is because i like the idea of building a village or city with everyone working together and rival clans and villages attacking, building guilds of players trying to kill and attack a boss or behemoth creatures. PVP is what its name suggests and PVE where no one can kill any other player forcing them to work together and build a community. amount of players per a server should be 15-25-35
  • ZundyZundy UK Join Date: 2015-03-26 Member: 202589Members
    edited May 2015
    Bugzapper wrote: »
    Still dead-set against the idea of multiplayer. Not budging an inch on this one.

If there *must* be a multiplayer mode, make it optional and have all resources re-spawn after a certain time. Nothing quite like greedy team-mates to completely kill a game.

Failing that, turn Subnautica into a lame-o, same-o FPS and have done with it.

Good shout Bugzapper. I think we all agree the multiplayer would be optional. I'm not quite sure where people are getting this "always online only multiplayer, no solo" from for subnautica? No one is suggesting that at all, but it always seems to be the main reason people are saying no to multiplayer. Odd.

• LagiacrusLagiacrus USA Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203475Members
    Back again! Multiplayer yes, Mmoh-no. I'd be ecstatic to have my own seabase empire on one side of the Aurora, whilst my cousin plots on the starboard side... There will be war... or not... I'd actually prefer co-op only.... but still... empires... cool.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited May 2015
    The game would benefit from a lobby system similar to what the L4D series uses. In addition, you should be able to open your private game to the public while playing it, or simply invite steam friends. Some cooperative mechanics would probably need to be added to make things interesting and unique.

- Built in VOIP
    - Ability to revive dead players if possible.
    - Have the ability to set your suit color to differentiate players (along with the playername above their head).
    - Cooperative activities that would be unique to Subnautica.
    - The nasty fishies get tougher and attack more as player count goes up.
    I think it's doable, especially by the team that made NS2. It'll just take a lot of effort, and people who say that single player should be focused on are correct. Multiplayer in Subnautica needs to be something revolutionary for the survival/exploration genre. That'll take time. Perhaps even be an entire expansion to the base game.

Some ideas:

1) Large net fishing. You need another player to swim with a wide net to catch fish and close it.

2) Complimentary combinations with the transfuser gun. One player could attract a large school of fish to follow him with an injection, while the other could use the "predator" call injection to attract larger fish that feed on those fish. I think this system would create a lot of interesting and amusing interactions between players.

3) Shared research. If they're multiple players, they can link their research stations together to speed research.

• TrystTryst UK Join Date: 2015-05-03 Member: 204138Members
    It would work with a small number of players but anything larger would require a really huge map. If you are all crew from the Aurora, it would make sense for it to be co-op rather than PVP from a roleplay perspective.

I remember FarSky and was quite upset that the developer just seemed to give up well before the game was really complete. However, the map was unbelievably huge and had the potential to have a lot more. With no modding capability, even the players couldn't build on it to make the game all it could have been.

I would like to see the Map of Subnautica become just as large, exploration is a great part of this game but sadly, there isn't much of an area to really explore. Even without multiplayer, exploring the map would keep you busy enough to keep playing.
  • ArkStrikeArkStrike Venezuela Join Date: 2015-05-06 Member: 204212Members
    Multiplayer or Co-op IS going to be a thing in Subnautica but I think most of us have a very good idea of how to make it a good experience.
  • Cataclysm315Cataclysm315 United Kingdom Join Date: 2015-05-05 Member: 204190Members

That's sweet! It would be nice if the environment got a little tougher with more and more players!
  • FisteFiste USA Join Date: 2015-05-26 Member: 204924Members
    edited May 2015
    I would like the ability to have 8-12 players max in a co-op map. Makes epic builds way faster. I also believe that multiplayer should be an option and not mandatory. allow players to host maps either publicly or invite only.
  • FluffersFluffers United States Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204749Members
    Multiplayer would be a natural course of development, but it's very difficult to implement. It would have to be pretty far into production, and they'd have to have more resources than they currently have.
  • FluffersFluffers United States Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204749Members
    xerxys wrote: »
    I was really into Reign of Kings when it was first released a couple of months ago: building a base that required the collection of raw ingredients and processing these into building materials. But every server ended up infested with selfish and spiteful people that tore apart everything everybody would create and sucked the fun from the game. I really like base-building, for it's own sake. If I'm going to play with other people, there has to be a way of protecting what you build, or promoting co-operative, rather than competitive play. Spending hours creating something to find it smashed and gutted the next time you log on is the quickest way to get me to put down a game.

I agree, and you could easily fix that problem by not allowing matchmaking. Invite-only multiplayer.