Automap

electricjazzelectricjazz South Africa Join Date: 2015-04-07 Member: 203094Members
I apologize if this has already been dealt with.

A handy piece of tech upgrade would be an 'automap', which updates as you explore and can provide place markers for returning to points of interest.

I get hopelessly lost at times looking for a previously discovered deposit of copper for example.

Please and thank you.

Comments

• ZundyZundy UK Join Date: 2015-03-26 Member: 202589Members
    In the grim darkness of the far future there are no maps...
  • xerxysxerxys Berlin, DE Join Date: 2015-03-23 Member: 202471Members
    Mapping would be great. I too end up lost and going in circles. Although mapping a world that also has cave systems and canyons and stuff might be a bit tricky to show. But, I would love if the Cyclops' view window had a holographic 3D overlay of the area immediately around the sub, plus a map room, where you could inspect the area you've mapped already as a 3D holograph would be cool. (I'm thinking something similar to the Astrometrics lab used in Star Trek Voyager... but an Aquametrics lab!)

Ooh, and the ability to create drones to send out that would slowly map the world for you, as a later update, requiring the building of the Aquametrics lab and then upgrading it...
  • PhalaguimPhalaguim Scotland Join Date: 2015-04-06 Member: 203026Members
    edited April 2015
    I typically get lost within 30 seconds of leaving the escape pod. If the thing ever sank or the beacon switched off.. I'd drown at sea.
  • VindhlerVindhler Florida Join Date: 2015-03-19 Member: 202300Members
    I agree with the OP and would love any type of mapping system at this point but in time I'm sure they will put one in game
  • Gideon999Gideon999 Canada Join Date: 2015-04-29 Member: 203938Members
    It would be nice to at least have some form of overhead map that could tell you where you have been. A 3D map would be awesome, but I imagine a huge undertaking for the devs. Still, somethign 2D that would record the locations of beacons we drop and our bases and subs and such would still be hugely useful.
  • SkizomeuhSkizomeuh France Join Date: 2015-04-29 Member: 203939Members
    Hi all!

An automap would be nice, but a way to name beacons would be great : scattering them across the ocean helps orienting myself, but I feel that it would be hard to manage clarity when I'll have dozens of them :)

Next steps :
    - an option on the HUD to highlight all/some/only one beacon(s)
    - beacons as echo radars that would feed the map with their surroudings = no real automap, but a way to chart the world
  • TartarinTartarin France Join Date: 2015-03-15 Member: 202162Members
    It was already discuss in another poll, using a sonar sytem to make it.
    Dev are open to that, it's in brainstorm.
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    Outstanding idea. Just about every other adventure/exploration game has a mapping function... Subnautica also needs a real-time sidescan and frontal sonar display at the helm of the Cyclops. Might be a bit too much to expect for the Seamoth's tiny HUD area, but there's definitely room for it in the Cyclops. Even a separate display panel (similar principle to the PDA/Inventory pane) would be a worthwhile inclusion in the game.
  • VaknathiVaknathi Australia Join Date: 2015-03-20 Member: 202345Members
    I'm sure some kind of map will be added in eventually. It's hard to navigate by memory at present, when the whole world area is complete it'll be nigh impossible. Auto-mapping/mapping as you go really is a must though rather than an already completed map, it wouldn't do to have a map of the planet before you got there, even if there had been some reconnaissance earlier. Being able to set up markers/beacons/some-kind-of-tech to fill in the map or have a mapping upgrade to the cyclops would add even more to the sense of exploration. I'm not sure how to even begin dealing with caves though, it would probably be best to just have a fairly simple top-down map that marks major hight changes, biome edges, large cave mouths, major structures, etc, and that you can add your bases and beacons to.

I do like the idea proposed above by skizomeuh of being able to name your beacons, or give them some other feature to distinguish them from each other.