Lethal weapon crafting.

Tank903Tank903 Texas Join Date: 2015-04-09 Member: 203168Members
It would be nice if those of us that felt safer exploring the depths had an option to use and craft weapons that even the playing field a little against a HUGE ass monster that wants to eat you. I know some guys feel bad killing imaginary monsters, but let the individual player decide how they want to play, not some 1 or two guys that double and triple post their comments on the issue to bully you into not including them , sorry they are in the minority. If they wanna play by running from threats cool but don't let them dictate how others want to play. Its like that old saying " Better to have a gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it" A lot of games these days give the players the freedom to make their own play style, Example " Splinter Cell", Deus Ex, Battlefield hardline, etc. Please make lethal and non lethal weapons...

Comments

• PhalaguimPhalaguim Scotland Join Date: 2015-04-06 Member: 203026Members
    This game is about peaceful exploration and research, not about bullying and destroying everything in sight. Keep your nukes and harpoon guns. The stasis rifle is enough.
    edited April 2015
    I have to admit tho, the thought of using the crash fish as ammo.. against crash fish.. is poetic justice. I suppose if the "weapons" had a sense of humour about them.. they would work okay within the scope of the game. Esp if they didn't kill anything. Chuckin a gasopod grenade into the stalkers to steal back all my metal stash that they'd eloped with would give me a sense of satisfaction too.

What I'd like on the Seamoth are some little arms and an inventory. So you could pick up stuff without getting out of the Seamoth. And therefore not get eaten by a grue.
  • ShagohadShagohad Earth Join Date: 2015-04-06 Member: 203053Members
    Yeah, I see crowd control weapons to be the key here. Passive things used to stun, confuse and disorient. Biggest weapon I see? A harpoon. Not even a gun, just make it a normal harpoon.

How about a net gun too? Things like this are what I want to see.
  • FrostyFishFrostyFish Unknown Liquid Bearing World Join Date: 2015-03-28 Member: 202652Members
    I believe there's actually some sort of Prop Cannon in the plans that will work similar to Christian's artwork (well at least it will launch peepers I know that much.)

But really the developers have stressed that lethal weapons aren't the focus of the game and they are purposefully trying not to implement them.
  • urielmanx7urielmanx7 Mexico Join Date: 2015-04-11 Member: 203271Members
    Ok, first of all, is that statement of "This game is about peaceful exploration and research, not about destroying" even been said by any of the developers? Or is just something some ppl want to think?
    Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing or anything, it's a legitimate question, because if that's the intended feel by the devs then the argument is over, there's not gonna be weapons, period. But, if it is indeed just what some felt the game was (remember it's early access, we can't say for sure what this is by what we've seen so far), then matters change.

So, for my 2 cents, consider this: You're the sole (presumably) survivor of a terraforming mission, you're alone, in a unknown planet, thousands of light years away from home, with god knows what out there...I think it's dumb to think they would send a mission like that with no means of defense. Personally if I were on that situation I god damn would want some means to defend myself if worse comes to worst. The idea of having non lethal weapons is fine, but in an unknown environment, you can't take guesses, you're trying yo survive, survival of the fittest anyone? If you would put any animal in an alien environment, that animal would do whatever it takes to survive, so should you.
    Here on earth, they mostly bring sedative ammo, but that's because we know already what's out there, plus we know the behavior of the animals, so we can manage a little expedition on the wild with non lethal ammo. But things change in this particular setting on an alien world, if something comes after you, you want it to stop.

But anyways, as a final note, I would say adding lethal weapons could be a double edged sword. I say if they won't ever add multiplayer, they can add a couple lethal weapons, but if multiplayer is on the plans, then don't even think about it, unless you want subnautica to become just another day Z.
  • FireclawFireclaw oopboop Join Date: 2015-02-06 Member: 201235Members
    "Ok, first of all, is that statement of "This game is about peaceful exploration and research, not about destroying" even been said by any of the developers? Or is just something some ppl want to think?"

Yes, the Devs have stated that the game will be mostly about scientific exploration from what I've read around.

as I've said in the past, humans are just too quick to jump to the "let's kill it" card, we can't help it, it's in our very DNA =/

That being said, there *are* ways of defending yourself against creatures without killing them, both IRL and in this game.
  • tarektarek lebanon Join Date: 2015-04-10 Member: 203241Members
    Phalaguim wrote: »
    This game is about peaceful exploration and research, not about bullying and destroying everything in sight. Keep your nukes and harpoon guns. The stasis rifle is enough.

so you eat all those fish and crush all those corals peacefully?

plzzz....

we need harpoons and torpedoes for hunting and killing large predators, we are not gonna colonized this hostile environment with nice words

Survivability yes. Major offensive capability no. Unless some type of alien intelligent life is implemented that becomes or is hostile in future development. Otherwise. No need for lethal weapons. Ever imo.

Non-Lethal weapons such as:

--Crowd control (net)

--Area of effect (electrical)

--Fog of war (ink cloud)

ya I tried talking to the bone shark ... it killed me

then i froze it and stabbed it to death... and it worked
  • ZergonuzZergonuz USA Join Date: 2015-04-08 Member: 203114Members
    Right now the Stasis Rifle doesn't do anything to the Reaper Leviathan either. Having my Seamoth constantly stolen and my head bitten off with no recourse is really, really annoying. Makes me not want to explore because I could just run into one and lose progress over and over.
    nothing would be cooler than blasting a huge sea monster with a mini nuke torpedo
  • Cynder_DragonbornCynder_Dragonborn United Staes Join Date: 2015-04-17 Member: 203557Members
    edited April 2015
    Tank903 wrote: »
    It would be nice if those of us that felt safer exploring the depths had an option to use and craft weapons that even the playing field a little against a HUGE ass monster that wants to eat you. I know some guys feel bad killing imaginary monsters, but let the individual player decide how they want to play, not some 1 or two guys that double and triple post their comments on the issue to bully you into not including them , sorry they are in the minority. If they wanna play by running from threats cool but don't let them dictate how others want to play. Its like that old saying " Better to have a gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it" A lot of games these days give the players the freedom to make their own play style, Example " Splinter Cell", Deus Ex, Battlefield hardline, etc. Please make lethal and non lethal weapons...

If some people don't want guns then don't make them. More people want at least something to defend themselves from a Reaper Leviathan, or something big like that, the Stasis Rifle isn't very helpful for this purpose now is it. Even if it's just a machete or a harpoon we still need something to either deter or kill the big guy's before they kill us. So if you don't want them don't make them.
  • leopardsp0tsleopardsp0ts Canada Join Date: 2015-04-27 Member: 203887Members
    Tank903 wrote: »

I must say I find it interesting how the major proponents of the lethal weapon idea comes from people in the USA with the OP being from Texas...just makes ya think. I for one and plenty happy with non-lethal means of survival. Keep it to exploration. There is absolutely no need for weapons other than those we currently have.
    tarek wrote: »
    nothing would be cooler than blasting a huge sea monster with a mini nuke torpedo

This is exactly why they don't want weapons. Blowing up animals with any kind of weapon is not cool regardless of it being in a game. You want to play something like that, go play a different game, this is not for you.

• Kr0nosKr0nos USA Join Date: 2015-04-27 Member: 203889Members

I must say I find it interesting how the major proponents of the lethal weapon idea comes from people in the USA with the OP being from Texas...just makes ya think. I for one and plenty happy with non-lethal means of survival. Keep it to exploration. There is absolutely no need for weapons other than those we currently have.

This is the most unproductive thing I've ever read on a forum post for this game. Are you trying to start offending people and subsequently a political debate?

Now for the actual discussion, I don't think the game should be oriented towards getting an arsenal of deadly weapons, HOWEVER I do believe that if they add huge aggressive monsters, we need a lot more defensive options. No nukes, No huge explosions, but perhaps nets, cloaking, a small harpoon to fish, a small electric baton that scares big fish away.
    when we eat peepers we are killing them with lasers... so I suggest we move the cooking laser to the rifle :D
  • Mr.PeeperMr.Peeper Florida Join Date: 2015-04-11 Member: 203289Members
    You should have a gun that can shoot stalker teeth!
    edited April 2015
    Point is, that if the idea is to explore peacefully and doesn't involve normally crashing from the skies in sheets of flame and killing everyone but a single survivor.. then there shouldn't be any lethal weapons.

The intro says the ship is a predecessor to colony ships, which presumably means it's been sent to ascertain if a planet is survivable. This doesn't mean it carries nukes to wipe out all life to make the planet survivable.. it means it looks and researches and if there's dominant life.. it leaves. Usually, unless it crashes.

If the ship was a colony ship designed to colonise "anywhere at any cost" then yeh, i'd expect to see weapons. But research vessels usually carry scientists and they usually object to guns.

I suppose "if" you made it to the ship.. without getting eaten.. you could maybe find a suit of armour, which had little cutting tools etc, then on leaving queue a cutscene where you get eaten by a reaper then ingame find yourself inside it having to cut your way out... or is that too much like a game I have on xbox...
    Kr0nos wrote: »

This is the most unproductive thing I've ever read on a forum post for this game. Are you trying to start offending people and subsequently a political debate?

Everyone knows americans love guns. "it's why we sent them there in the first place" ;) It's hardly offensive and certainly not a political debate. Americans don't debate. They use guns. ;)
  • SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members

Everyone knows americans love guns. "it's why we sent them there in the first place" ;) It's hardly offensive and certainly not a political debate. Americans don't debate. They use guns. ;)
    Your comment shows just how little you actually understand of the post you think you understand

Talk of america should end here, seriously it has absolutely nothing to do with this game

That being said...

We need this kind of discussion to be shut down by mods or devs as every time it goes in circles or ends up like the above post

My two cents
  • Kr0nosKr0nos USA Join Date: 2015-04-27 Member: 203889Members
    edited April 2015

This forum is to discuss Subnautica, not look at OP's profile and make a political generalization about his state and thought process.
  • Nuki255Nuki255 US Join Date: 2015-01-06 Member: 200658Members
    Seldkam wrote: »

Your comment shows just how little you actually understand of the post you think you understand

Talk of america should end here, seriously it has absolutely nothing to do with this game

That being said...

We need this kind of discussion to be shut down by mods or devs as every time it goes in circles or ends up like the above post

My two cents

We don't often agree Seldkam, but I'm with you on this one.
  • ZundyZundy UK Join Date: 2015-03-26 Member: 202589Members
    Woah all discussions regarding more offensive-esk weapons in the game should be shut down out of hand because an idiot started being an idiot? A bit extreme considering there are a fair amount of people who would like to see some (especially that Crash Blunderbuss).

I think the mods should just deal with the fools directly.
  • WrattsWratts The Sweet Surland Join Date: 2015-04-28 Member: 203906Members
    A scientific mission like a terraforming project has absolutely no reason for lethal weaponry, especially if we assume that Subnautica takes place in a universe like ours where humanity has yet to encounter alien lifeforms. The tech in the Subnautica scenario is so advanced that lethal weaponry would appear to be too primitive for these purposes. They already have stasis rifle tech, which is one of several ways to defend yourself with non-lethal force.

However, nobody could predict the future. Nobody could have known that the Aurora would crash, and a crew member would have to start eating alien flora and fauna just to survive. It's likely that they wouldn't want to have disrupted any alien life cycles or the local flora and fauna where possible, and that the Aurora would have had the tech and supplies to provide its crew with sustainable nourishment and water sources for the crew to live on without having to hunt or harvest natural resources. They also didn't know of giant, intelligent sea monsters.

That said, you already have plenty of means for lethal defenses. You just have to be creative about it. You have vehicles that can ram and kill creatures. Or like mentioned upthread, you can lock a creature into a stasis field and kill it with a knife. Over time, as more things get added, players might find new, unusual solutions to combat the more dangerous wildlife. Part of the appeal of survival games, to me, is that you don't have means like lethal weaponry ready at your disposal and you have to use your head. It completely takes the edge off of threats like Reaper Leviathans if you could just gatling gun or nuke them, and then just move on like nothing happened. Subnautica is as much a survival game as it is an exploration game, to me. And it's more satisfying to find creative solutions to effectively survive against all odds...
  • ZundyZundy UK Join Date: 2015-03-26 Member: 202589Members
    Let's not get all strawman here, no one is asking for Gatling guns or nukes. No ones asking to be able to slaughter everything in sight. I do agree that straight up Harpoons/Guns would be dull however things like Christians Launcher would be great fun, keep things none lethal and still scratch that "Argh I must defend myself" itch.
  • Cynder_DragonbornCynder_Dragonborn United Staes Join Date: 2015-04-17 Member: 203557Members
    Wratts wrote: »
    A scientific mission like a terraforming project has absolutely no reason for lethal weaponry, especially if we assume that Subnautica takes place in a universe like ours where humanity has yet to encounter alien lifeforms. The tech in the Subnautica scenario is so advanced that lethal weaponry would appear to be too primitive for these purposes. They already have stasis rifle tech, which is one of several ways to defend yourself with non-lethal force.

However, nobody could predict the future. Nobody could have known that the Aurora would crash, and a crew member would have to start eating alien flora and fauna just to survive. It's likely that they wouldn't want to have disrupted any alien life cycles or the local flora and fauna where possible, and that the Aurora would have had the tech and supplies to provide its crew with sustainable nourishment and water sources for the crew to live on without having to hunt or harvest natural resources. They also didn't know of giant, intelligent sea monsters.

That said, you already have plenty of means for lethal defenses. You just have to be creative about it. You have vehicles that can ram and kill creatures. Or like mentioned upthread, you can lock a creature into a stasis field and kill it with a knife. Over time, as more things get added, players might find new, unusual solutions to combat the more dangerous wildlife. Part of the appeal of survival games, to me, is that you don't have means like lethal weaponry ready at your disposal and you have to use your head. It completely takes the edge off of threats like Reaper Leviathans if you could just gatling gun or nuke them, and then just move on like nothing happened. Subnautica is as much a survival game as it is an exploration game, to me. And it's more satisfying to find creative solutions to effectively survive against all odds...

I don't think anyone is saying stuff about nuke's, but we need more than a small knife and a "Stay here while I run away" gun. Something like a small pistol or a rifle or even a machete would be an effective defense without going overboard. :) Creative survival is fine but hitting things with a knife isn't surviving, its desperately trying to kill something that's hostile and hoping it works. We need at least something!
  • DavidhenDavidhen Join Date: 2012-10-13 Member: 162225Members
    Whether they put in more offensive tools or not i dont really mind. But people are going a little overboard with the whole "just here to observe and peacefully explore" You're there to terraform the planet for colonisation. That in itself is pretty hostile. Wiping out huge swathes of habitat for humans to live on.

I'm sure there would be nature reserves etc. set up for the animals and im also sure there would be nature parks for people to go hunting/big game fishing.

Whether the devs add more offensive weapons is up to them but i would love to see more ways to deal with threats. Like how you can feed a fish to a stalker and he brings you metal and his friendly for a bit.

Things i think that could solve some issues would be

-using pheromones to confuse or attract/placate the fauna, these could be gathered from the dna analyzer/gatherer tool when used on the animal in question (male and female variants of each animal would be cool) The phermones could be put on food, in gas grenades, use the dna infusing launcher thing etc.

-use the dna from the various fish to upgrade your suit/subs/mech or unlock abilites for them (perhaps a sort of cloaking using the occulus' light sensitive dna for the seamoth, so you can sneak past those reapers at a closer distance) [Would still love to use the occulus' dna to make solar panels so i can recharge my cyclops over the course of the day as it basks in the sun]

-i also thought using the dna from the electric eel thing thats being put into the game to make either like stun mines you can drop as you run away or even more offensively a sort of non-lethal stun harpoon. An electric field you can activate on the seamoth or cyclops to make the reaper let go of you, heavily reducing dmg would be good too.

These are just some rough ideas i thought of just then.

Personally i think the game should steer you away from killing everything but not restrict you from doing it. I have probably wiped out 1000's of peepers and airsacks in my characters crazed lust for food and water. To be able to hunt down and put a few slabs of leviathan meat in my locker so im not killing 20 cute peepers every day would make sense game wise and lore wise and be wonderful.
    ok just make a builder... that deconstructs fish ... with a laser