hi

slmslm oh Join Date: 2015-04-13 Member: 203380Members
hi, i just decided to buy ns2 the other day after hearing about it from a former comp ns2 player. im pretty familiar with fps, ive played about 10 seasons of competitive tf2 over 3k hours so i have the basic hang of aim and proper settings etc etc but i have no clue where to actually start practicing for ns2. ive been playing pubs here and there, but in tf2 we had a few training mods that people could use to just improve deathmatch and movement. is there anything like that in ns2 or are pubs the way to go? thanks for any help given, i heard this game has had it pretty rough which i can definitely sympathize with. cheers

Comments

• ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Pubs are a good way to start to understand the game mechanics, and I'd highly suggest them to begin. This can take a bit. Play lifeforms, listen to your comm, and don't get distraught. Skilled fades and lerks are hard to kill, but you're not yet: if you die, it happens. Once you feel you understand the basics, you can start to play pick-up games and gathers.

Some basics:

As an alien, ambush marines! Hide on the edge of doors and wait for marines to walk through.
    Learn to wall jump as a skulk. This increases your speed so that you can engage marines!
    Picking engagements can be tough. Don't run head on at a marine down a long hallway. Vents (orange on the map) are your friends.

As a marine, learn to check your corners.
    Lower your sensitivity until you feel comfortable with your aim. It can be tough getting used to.
    Positioning is important: standing at the back of a room far away from threats and shooting is the best thing you can do 99% of the time.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2015
    best tip for marines: LOOK UP and MOVE IN GROUPS MOVE IN GROUPS but DO NOT BUNCH UP IN A MEATBALL and RELOAD ONLY WHEN NEEDED
    - something not usually done in other FPS games

best tip for aliens: MOVE or AMBUSH | COVER and STRAIGHT LINES
    - situation dependent

best tip for both: LEARN THE MAPS
    - situational awareness > all

along with what zavaro said, you'd be off to a good start :)>-
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    always remember to wash your grandpa