Towards a Big Explosion - Subnautica

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond

imageTowards a Big Explosion - Subnautica

Today, 400 megabytes of extra Subnautica went coursing through the pipes of Steam. Evidently, we changed something! Over the past month, we’ve been working on the Crash Site update. We...

Read the full story here

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Bump to open comment thread
  • ctoptrophobectoptrophobe Nashville Join Date: 2015-04-06 Member: 203018Members
    Thanks for the update! Looking forward to the big Crash Site update, but I'll take memory fixes all day!
  • FireclawFireclaw oopboop Join Date: 2015-02-06 Member: 201235Members
  • electricjazzelectricjazz South Africa Join Date: 2015-04-07 Member: 203094Members
    Awesome and thank you!
  • LareksLareks Zimbabwe Join Date: 2015-04-10 Member: 203233Members
    edited April 2015
    As per usual, really awesome work guys and really well done but just one thing. Before this update on the old UI for the fabricator everything was as per normal, now when I want to build a cyclops, I can't find the option to make enameled glass. Granted I am playing a free non threatening world I am still wondering what happened there. Otherwise please keep up the great work, this game is fast becoming a favourite of mine

PS: I am talking about the early development build 16296 APR-15
  • tarektarek lebanon Join Date: 2015-04-10 Member: 203241Members
    ThX guys I just hope after this u will make the map infinite (well minecraft style infinite)

Also the recipes seem to only appear when one of the ingredients is in our pack... not all though
  • DeeCeeDeeCee The Cloud Join Date: 2015-04-11 Member: 203244Members
    Cool new features! Can't wait to test them out... I'll be posting new videos shortly with this awesome new stuff, in my Subnautica Series!
  • PhalaguimPhalaguim Scotland Join Date: 2015-04-06 Member: 203026Members
    You didn't need to put two of the eels so close together.. they killed my moth in 2 hits, killed me in 1. They're abit buggy.. pushing you through terrain etc, but that's not really an issue.

You're supposed to invite the player to the exploded ship, not obliterate them.

The eel thing looks abit jerky in it's swim motion, but again that's something that can be worked on.

The endless radiation get's annoying after awhile, would be nice to be able to escape it and since people will want to escape it, maybe add a tow line to the game so they can tow their life pod into a clean area. Bases maybe should be immune to radiation, have scrubbers or something.. give us somewhere to hide from the ditditditditditditditditditdit noise.

Otherwise, it's great, love the explosion, the early warning, the need to collect items and research fabricator.

Oh and what's the name of the face hugging eel things?
    Lareks wrote: »
    I can't find the option to make enameled glass.

Seriously?

Pick up a tooth and hand it in and it'll tell you how to make it. It's kinda obvious.

• Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    The explosion needs one or two very bright flashes interspersed with the sequence (like what you see at the beginning of a nuclear explosion). It could be seen from just about anywhere on the map, and "over exposes" the view for one or two seconds.

When you reload the save/game, the explosion damage is gone and the radiation as well for awhile, it comes back tho, eventually.
  • MysterioMysterio England Join Date: 2015-04-08 Member: 203126Members
    very nice, thank you for optimising the bug issues,
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2015
    Reaper leviathan? Wat?
    ME3_Leviathan_Triton_Mech.png

This is the leviathan from the Mass Effect universe, a name given to a race that lives on an underwater planet that the reapers image is based on.

Interesting name choice.. : D Maybe change the reaper part?

leviathan is a very common name used all over the place -- usually for a very large, dangerous, and often ancient monster
  • FireclawFireclaw oopboop Join Date: 2015-02-06 Member: 201235Members
    Leviathan is used in almost every monster game/movie there is about something that swallow your entire family whole, so not exactly seeing what the big deal is there.
  • tarektarek lebanon Join Date: 2015-04-10 Member: 203241Members
    we rly need ways to kill those annoying acid poopers and the sharks
  • Randy.slikRandy.slik Florida Join Date: 2015-04-11 Member: 203299Members
    is subnautica going to be a console game to or just pc ?
    Right now it is targeted to Windows (and possibly Mac). UWE has not mentioned any plans for console support.

P.S. UWE posted a screenshot in Twitter on April 7 of Subnautica supposedly running on a GameCube. I didn't think Unity supported GameCube so this may be just a late April fools tease.
  • Hyp3rionHyp3rion Australia Join Date: 2015-03-21 Member: 202396Members
    edited April 2015
    Awesome little update for fixes, especially like the crash warning (which I saw for the first time the other night) and the ability to equip stuff to your character doll which frees up inventory space.

Keep up the great work guys! Looking forward to the Aurora update when it's ready :)
  • Han_YoloHan_Yolo Germany Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203471Members
    Can the explosion and the resulting debris damage the player's underwater base? Kinda like the idea that it at least punches holes into it and lets the base flood.
  • bionacle11bionacle11 united kingdom Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203486Members
    I cant wait for the update hopefully it gets released under 2 or 3 months

• BruhBruh Denver, CO Join Date: 2016-01-25 Member: 212090Members
    one thing we NEED is...

MULTIPLAYER
  • ChaosKnight626ChaosKnight626 Minnesota Join Date: 2015-08-05 Member: 206783Members
    Bruh wrote: »
    one thing we NEED is...

MULTIPLAYER

That would require a complete restructure of the game along with taking several months away from other updates