Cybernetic Vs Mutations Vs LandLubber

antofdeathantofdeath Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187510Members
(Stupid forum freezing and loosing my first draft, right as I finish typing it So lets try this again.)
So I after playing what is essentially "Zombie Survival Dwarf Fortress" and then spending a few hours watching Ridgedog playing this, I over heard a comment about mutations and had a idea.

So lets assume that across the games play time your going to try and go deeper into the ocean and your basic form just isn't going to be able to accomplish that, so I am suggesting that there be a branch of ways to go about it with strength and weaknesses.

So lets start with what you already have, you can make silicon fins, and the Seamoth and large exoskeleton like structure like boats and submarines, they are huge and clunky but extremely versatile they come with storage compartments and desperate you from the ocean. So you can upgrade those with like grabber arms and thruster upgrades whatever. But your not so great outside of your craft.

So then you consider mutations, which I figure would come from just extracting genetic samples from the creatures you find around on the ocean, like how you can find stalker teeth in the nests they build from scrap. So you use these to say grow fins and gills, letting you go deeper and faster, but these come at a penalty to your old form, you don't really fit in the boats as easily anymore with your new form, so the Seamoth would turn slower, and you might need a antiwater breather mask because your gills don't work so great with air when wandering around on your cyclops. The benefits though are your small and agile.

With those though then you get the Cybernetics, like alot of technology we made we copy the mechanisms nature makes but not perfectly. So you could create robotic folding fins and gills, but they aren't going to be as effective as a fully integrated structure, and they aren't going to be entirely different biomes like your submarine, but they are going to have a bit of the strengths of everything. You might be more durable which would be good for mining, which you probably will do to get exotic minerals to create these cybernetic parts. You'll still be abit worse on the vessels, like moving slower on boats, you won't be able to just swim around unencumbered like with the mutations.

All this comes with a subtle discussion with how we treat oceans and such, some are passive some are aggressive and take what we need, some just want to explore from a safe spot.

Comments

• SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    This idea has been tossed around, and the devs actually have some ideas on what they could do too, mutations

in experimental the transfuser tool can actually make the player larger by injecting DNA into yourself... Though its rather useless ATM xP
  • ArbhallArbhall The Earth Join Date: 2015-04-03 Member: 202874Members
    antofdeath wrote: »
    (Stupid forum freezing and loosing my first draft, right as I finish typing it So lets try this again.)
    So I after playing what is essentially "Zombie Survival Dwarf Fortress" and then spending a few hours watching Ridgedog playing this, I over heard a comment about mutations and had a idea.

So lets assume that across the games play time your going to try and go deeper into the ocean and your basic form just isn't going to be able to accomplish that, so I am suggesting that there be a branch of ways to go about it with strength and weaknesses.

So lets start with what you already have, you can make silicon fins, and the Seamoth and large exoskeleton like structure like boats and submarines, they are huge and clunky but extremely versatile they come with storage compartments and desperate you from the ocean. So you can upgrade those with like grabber arms and thruster upgrades whatever. But your not so great outside of your craft.

So then you consider mutations, which I figure would come from just extracting genetic samples from the creatures you find around on the ocean, like how you can find stalker teeth in the nests they build from scrap. So you use these to say grow fins and gills, letting you go deeper and faster, but these come at a penalty to your old form, you don't really fit in the boats as easily anymore with your new form, so the Seamoth would turn slower, and you might need a antiwater breather mask because your gills don't work so great with air when wandering around on your cyclops. The benefits though are your small and agile.

With those though then you get the Cybernetics, like alot of technology we made we copy the mechanisms nature makes but not perfectly. So you could create robotic folding fins and gills, but they aren't going to be as effective as a fully integrated structure, and they aren't going to be entirely different biomes like your submarine, but they are going to have a bit of the strengths of everything. You might be more durable which would be good for mining, which you probably will do to get exotic minerals to create these cybernetic parts. You'll still be abit worse on the vessels, like moving slower on boats, you won't be able to just swim around unencumbered like with the mutations.

All this comes with a subtle discussion with how we treat oceans and such, some are passive some are aggressive and take what we need, some just want to explore from a safe spot.

I like it.
    But I think the mutations will be covered by the transfuser, and dude they are cool. Buggy as hell right now since you can only cheat them in and whatever you inject yourself with stays, youll have to restart to get back to normal. Most of the injections dont do anything yet either, but they will.
    I love cyberwear! It should be much more versatile that a mutation but not as effective.
    So with that in mind, I would think you can extent your dive time without changing your size or function in the subs, while mutations should.
    Example:
    You get a gill mutation that lets you dive for 30 seconds longer, but makes you move slower on land ( or in an atmosphere) like your carrying a tank.
    A cybernetic gill should add 20 seconds to your dive time, but does not effect your movement at all.
    Thats just my view. There are tons of possibilities here for that sort of thing.
    Great ideas man.
  • antofdeathantofdeath Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187510Members
    Yeah, I'll admit it was kinda "man i really liked this in Cataclysm Dark Days ahead it would be fantastic to see in subnautica" but I just wanted to throw the idea up here for people to think about with no real further input from me because there isn't enough ya know actual stuff in game to base it on.
  • FormousFormous USA Join Date: 2015-01-19 Member: 200918Members
    Something I would think is that..well..fins aren't something you make in twos. Sacrificing your legs for a tail would be kind interesting in my opinion. Especially when Co-op comes. Alongside other mutations, possibly even making it impossible to enter the Cyclops. Of course, your faster and meaner underwater, but it would be interesting to need to rely on someone still human
  • ShagohadShagohad Earth Join Date: 2015-04-06 Member: 203053Members
    Have this impact your play style and your character interest. Cyborgs pretty much turn into their equipment and muties will just do everything themselves. Free dive down to 1400 meters and fight a sea monster with a knife. But your affinity for tech goes down and there's not a whole lot you can even use beyond the basics when it comes to technology. Then a cyborg could pretty much become a vehicle incapable of exploring narrow areas and getting about easily. But you can now fabricate things on yourself, expand your cargo, deep dive, construct, etc. And then if you want to stay natural and rely on your gear, you get to craft all your nimble tools and operate out of base structures and vehicles. So each survival tree gives you benefits and consequences. Then we throw in multi player and throw this diversity together, you can achieve amazing things.