Submarine hangars for bases

Tbone11223Tbone11223 Australia Join Date: 2015-03-21 Member: 202390Members
Now i know that bases have only just been added and they still have some minor issues but...

A submarine hangar would be awesome for the base, they would not only be cool but also have a purpose; for example...
Is there a hungry hoard of stalkers or bonesharks outside your base? and your seamoth or cyclops is parked on the other side of those animals? good luck.
A hanger would provide quick access to your subs without having to swim out of your base and get them. There would also be protection for the sub (no fishes headbanging against it) and through the generator, could replenish power or even repair it.

Now for some design ideas:
- I think there should be two types of hangars, one small one for the seamoth and one large for the cyclops.
- the hangar will replenish the health and power (as stated above).
- the docking system in the hangar for the seamoth could be similar to the system in the cyclops, the docking system for the cyclops hanger however, should be a little different, perhaps the hangar should be like a car garage? where you drive towards it, the mechanism will grab the cyclops, pull it in, close the door and finally drain all the water out.
- if you put the hangars next to each other, they will combine and 'become one' (so there is no wall between them).
aaaaand here is a concept of the general gist of a hanger that I scraped off google images:

Anyway, thanks for reading :P

Comments

• Niel-AgiNiel-Agi Belguim Join Date: 2015-03-21 Member: 202394Members
    Really cool idea! Also I think it should be possible to build bigger rooms in your sea base like when I build 4 x corridors together the wall in the middle goes away and becomes a big room.
  • Hyp3rionHyp3rion Australia Join Date: 2015-03-21 Member: 202396Members
    Definitely agree and think it's a great idea, however I think the Cyclops hangar should simply have an opening at the bottom and you float up into it to enter the base. Much like your concept image above.

I think having a mechanised system the same as the Seamoth for the Cyclops won't be believable for such a big vessel.

- Hyp3rion
  • JackalopeJackalope Join Date: 2015-03-13 Member: 202057Members
    I like the idea, would be cool to have a moon pool to park the seamoth in. Maybe it you could swim in and out for this hanger too.
    Sorta like this:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQvQbrvfjd83gsGir0ELYA3gt2jde-spsdd1CDkuu5MWzlm17V2GQ

I'm not totally against the cyclops dock, but to park a whole sub in it, the hanger would have to be huge. Maybe a less expensive way to dock would be to connect a hatch and charging port to an airlock that would attach to the hatch on the bottom of the Cyclops. With a little help from the auto pilot system, docking could work like it does on the International Space Station.
    61525main_image_feature_189_jw4.jpg
  • gamer2456gamer2456 NY,USA Join Date: 2015-03-17 Member: 202269Members
    When do the moon pool you should be able to park seamonth there for a entrance to your base. Now for a larger submarine your cyclops would be harder because of size I would think.
  • LolroflcakeLolroflcake Canada Join Date: 2015-03-20 Member: 202371Members
    A moon pool for the seamoth and mech suits should definitely be a thing but for larger vehicles a jetway/docking collar set up where you park outside would be more appropriate I think.
  • The_Big_Bad_W8lfThe_Big_Bad_W8lf England Join Date: 2015-03-15 Member: 202178Members
    Submarine docking will be a thing for bases, its a must. :)
  • Tbone11223Tbone11223 Australia Join Date: 2015-03-21 Member: 202390Members
    @ Jackalope, I agree with you on the cyclops docking, what I have in mind is maybe a system that clamps the cyclops into place (on the foundation of the base) and then a docking port comes out and attaches itself to the cyclops hatch, kinda the same concept when say a cruise ship comes and docks, instead everything would be automated.

Here is a concept image and a screenshot of my base... what i'm trying to get at is that on the ledge (foundation) next to the subs is where those clamps would be and then an automated dock (like on the ISS) would extend out and attach to the cyclops.
  • AutochtonAutochton Sweden Join Date: 2015-03-20 Member: 202358Members
    Ideally, I'd want the SeaMoth hangar on the Cyclops to be available while docked, so you don't have to bring your Cyke out to just deploy the 'Moth. A sub-pen sort of setup would be nice, with a front-end berth where the Cyke comes in to dock its front and hook up the main hatch, but the hind end stays 'afloat' outside the berth. You'd have to make sure you didn't build stuff around or beneath it to give an undocking (or docking) 'Moth some room, though.
  • KorithKorith Join Date: 2015-03-07 Member: 201768Members
    Nothing but agrees for this thread. The corridors are nice, but it's not enough for me to call it a proper base without hangers and larger base pieces.
  • TartarinTartarin France Join Date: 2015-03-15 Member: 202162Members
    For a first throw it's still a good work ;) But yes, I'm quite impatient to see the next step on seabase :)
  • Ranger375Ranger375 USA Join Date: 2015-03-23 Member: 202485Members
    I think that a good way to "make it work" in both directions would be a vertical docking collar that would interface with the Cyclops exit hatch, move in the appropriate place over your base and it would dock and provide a ladder down. This would let you still use the Cyclops' Seamoth bay. A larger horizontal structure could incorporate some of the aspects of the Seamoth bay, allowing you to have a dedicated recharging Seamoth + dock at your seabase, if you decide you want to build more than one due to resources.

With the docking, I also think that you should be able to have power routing... seabase > docked cyclops > docked seamoth.
    This solution is good for a low technology level for the base blueprint. An higher level could be the crane that lift the Cyclop, and then the seamoth can be used too. Erh.. sorry if I make myself not very clear.
    If using a docking collar, you'd also need some kind of decent mooring to secure the cyclops otherwise even the gentlest current would see it sheer of from the base & disappear into the depths...

- Hyp3rion
  • AutochtonAutochton Sweden Join Date: 2015-03-20 Member: 202358Members
    Hyp3rion, that's what docking clamps are for. :-)
  • Ranger375Ranger375 USA Join Date: 2015-03-23 Member: 202485Members
    Hyp3rion wrote: »
    If using a docking collar, you'd also need some kind of decent mooring to secure the cyclops otherwise even the gentlest current would see it sheer of from the base & disappear into the depths...

- Hyp3rion

Station holding thrusters are your friends! ;)
    Autochton wrote: »
    Hyp3rion, that's what docking clamps are for. :-)

Yes, I know & is basically what I meant however they weren't mentioned in Ranger's post or any other kind of mooring ;)

Ranger, holding thrusters would be a large & constant drain on the subs power cells.

- Hyp3rion
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    A special moon pool room for you Seamoth is planned, and we've actually started working on some concept art for it.

It is doubtful we'd do an indoor hangar bay for the Cyclops, however, as that would just take up so much space and be hard to configure an entrance that wouldn't be a pain to get into. We have discussed doing the space station shuttle docking style, however, and that would be the more likely direction we'd go in for Cyclops docking.
    That's a solid idea of using an exposed platform with docking arms hold a Cyclops in place while docking Tbone. It would be a lot easier to dock on a platform rather than trying to back the thing into a huge hangar. That could work really well with a shuttle style air lock.

Maybe the docking platform could have deployable arms that could apply upgrades like deeper diving and faster engines to the Cyclops along with the ability to recharge it.

thatd be a great incentive to build a sea base in the first place. But I'm expecting sea bases to become more useful in the next update. Looks like there's gonna be some interesting new tech that can be recovered from the crashed ship. There's a model of a large steel and glass tube called a botanical analyzer in the works.
  • Tbone11223Tbone11223 Australia Join Date: 2015-03-21 Member: 202390Members
    Agreed, like some of those automatic car assembly robots, instead they would be used to apply upgrades, repair and recharge the cyclops. Now I'm not sure how the shuttle-style docking clamp is going to be like, since the cyclops hatch is underneath, but I'm sure there will be a way.
    edited March 2015
    I was wondering that too actually. I haven't figured out a good way to get a sea base tube under the platform to access the cyclops while still allowing the bay doors on its belly room to open and drive out with the seamoth. Maybe it could dock on that suspiciously door sized port on the front of the sub right next to the hatch and ladder. Could just walk right out the front.

Or the dock could be on top of the seabase with a ladder strait out the bottom. That might look a little weird with supports hanging down to hold the dock up.
    A special moon pool room for you Seamoth is planned, and we've actually started working on some concept art for it.

It is doubtful we'd do an indoor hangar bay for the Cyclops, however, as that would just take up so much space and be hard to configure an entrance that wouldn't be a pain to get into. We have discussed doing the space station shuttle docking style, however, and that would be the more likely direction we'd go in for Cyclops docking.

An indoor hangar bay would be a cool addition (for the entrance, a sensor began to open the door while the cyclops is at X meters, or you can remoetly active it). But if you don't plan to do it, you should implement a good anchor system. Since it's a water environment, current can take away everything, even the massive Cyclop, especially if you implement storms.

But I'm quite excited by the mini-hangar for the seamoth :D
  • Games4KickzGames4Kickz Ireland Join Date: 2015-03-07 Member: 201783Members
    edited March 2015

Awesome :) That sounds like a great idea. ones docked though you should still be able to see the majestic cyclops and not hide it away when docked like the seamoth is when docked in the cyclops.

The docking station segment for the cyclops could have a foot-bridge going along side the cyclops and have an "arm" from above hold the docked cyclops in place. That would allow a hatch to open on the side on to the foot bridge, allowing you to freely move in and out without having to undock.

To undock you could just go aboard and press a button on the main dashboard inside the cyclops.

I would prefer that to auto-undocking on entry as I would love to stock up my lockers inside the cyclops while it is docked :)
  • En9a9eEn9a9e USA Join Date: 2015-02-17 Member: 201408Members, Subnautica Playtester
    Jackalope wrote: »
    That's a solid idea of using an exposed platform with docking arms hold a Cyclops in place while docking Tbone. It would be a lot easier to dock on a platform rather than trying to back the thing into a huge hangar. That could work really well with a shuttle style air lock.

Maybe the docking platform could have deployable arms that could apply upgrades like deeper diving and faster engines to the Cyclops along with the ability to recharge it.

thatd be a great incentive to build a sea base in the first place. But I'm expecting sea bases to become more useful in the next update. Looks like there's gonna be some interesting new tech that can be recovered from the crashed ship. There's a model of a large steel and glass tube called a botanical analyzer in the works.

That could be a great way of adding function to foundations (open sea platform dock for Cyclops). The clops will already have an internal chipped upgrade system but I do like the idea of arms that extend and hold the clops in place on the platform. Like the moth, once you reach a certain point the animation takes over and the mechanical docking procedure takes you in. It could be a system where you have to lay out a certain number of platforms together that meet the size requirement and then you can place the ghosted docking upgrade system on top of them for fabrication. The thing that might be a bit complicated in this scenario (as far as making it look both cool and functional) is inclusion of a gang plank corridor, since the entry/exit hatch for the clops is on the bottom. The Clops would have to stay quite a ways above the foundation docking system itself to account for this. May try to make a concept of this in Unity if I get time. Agreed with Jackalope, really cool idea Tbone.
  • WarzoneNinjaWarzoneNinja USA Join Date: 2015-03-17 Member: 202258Members
    Tbone11223 wrote: »
    Agreed, like some of those automatic car assembly robots, instead they would be used to apply upgrades, repair and recharge the cyclops. Now I'm not sure how the shuttle-style docking clamp is going to be like, since the cyclops hatch is underneath, but I'm sure there will be a way.

they would just add a new hatch along the side of it... somewhere in the vicinity of the room ahead of the seamoth docking bay

thank you so much for this i've been waiting for it forever... if you refer to my other post i placed in a previous thread about doing active ping sonar for the cyclops to have a "visual radar hud" type of piloting, it would actually be easier for it to dock in a moon style pool...

(http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2234757/#Comment_2234757)

also if you would please... make those lockers in the bottom of the cyclops into usable storage bays would be greatly appreciated...
  • HybridAvengerHybridAvenger Red Deer Join Date: 2015-03-25 Member: 202551Members
    That is a really good idea