Exploration map

VpompVVpompV Czech Republic Join Date: 2015-03-13 Member: 202093Members
Wonder if there be something like a exploration map like where ever you swim or go it collect the info and shows up on a hud on your screen to show you where you have explored and where you havn't yet explored and maybe some how a 3D or some kind of way to show you the extend of caves ect.

So then you can have a good idea where you went last time good areas for mining resources ect.

Comments

• DavycannonhoundDavycannonhound Join Date: 2015-02-24 Member: 201527Members
    Maybe you could craft one like in minecraft.
  • Gr4pheneGr4phene Germany Join Date: 2015-03-05 Member: 201731Members
    I think it would be much nicer if the Cyclops would have a sonar/radar scanner to map the ground below it. Then it could have a holographic or flat representation of the map in one of the rooms, which should of course be centered on the Cyclops. I like the general thought of the Cyclops as a storage and research vehicle. These sensors could also be additional, so you have to use a builder to attach them to the Cyclops. Of course they would require a computer chip or an advanced wiring kit and maybe a normal wiring kit too. Maybe a late game addition would be a scanner that allows scanning for caves, or a scanner that allows scanning for materials like lithium.
  • VandragoraxVandragorax United Kingdom Join Date: 2015-02-24 Member: 201533Members, Subnautica Playtester
    I really think some sort of 'map' would be really beneficial to player experience in this game. I'm not entirely sure how it would be best implemented (could start a massive discussion) but it would be really awesome if we could somehow map the seabed, and put markers to remember where certain caves or points of interest were :)
  • sam8ucasam8uca Join Date: 2011-02-11 Member: 81359Members
    It should be more than just a map, it should be an encyclopaedia of the world.

You would build and carry a survey 'tool' that could produce a map, but also collect resource and biological data that would produce heat map layers. These heat maps would assist quicker resource collection as your operating area expands and planning sea base locations to support this expansion.

The challenge should be the environment, not memorising a complex 3D space.