Subnautica Wildlife

DavycannonhoundDavycannonhound Join Date: 2015-02-24 Member: 201527Members
This forum/discussion shall be devoted to the idea of new creatures added to the game, big or small, aggressive or passive. Anything is welcome.
My suggestions include:
Two or more crustaceans. I would love to see a small edible crustacean of sorts, and a large scary aggressive crustacean, maybe resembling the japanese spider crab.

An aggressive squid like monster. Essentially a meat eating Reefback.

More large peaceful animals like the poison pooping whale things (I forget what they're called). Just not poison pooping.

Avian life. And maybe islands for them to rest on.

More creatures actively eating each other and maybe plants. I know this isn't necessarily a creature idea but more of a mechanic idea. But I put it here because it was about creatures.

Your turn commenters!

Comments

• SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    I think we have a "Cave crawler" that looks essentially like a Headcrab from the HalfLife series coming looks VERY alien lol (kinda like a crustacean?)

Agreed, Gasopods are rather scary and there's no reason to go to them-- unlike stalkers which may give us their teeth for crafting

Yep-- I think the devs are thinking about maybe some wildlife?

I want a really big Sea Serpent... that is all :3
  • FireclawFireclaw oopboop Join Date: 2015-02-06 Member: 201235Members
    I've already said that some sort of or several versions of huge polychaete worms living way down in the depths would be cool, some of them could be passive, like the smaller ones, and have some that were massive and were aggressive and would attack and try to crush your seamoth if you grabbed you.

I'd also like to see some free-swimming jellyfish type creatures o3o.

As for land creatures, maybe some kinds of bird-type things, or reptiles.
  • VandragoraxVandragorax United Kingdom Join Date: 2015-02-24 Member: 201533Members, Subnautica Playtester
    edited February 2015
    Oh wow yes... a HUGE smack of Jellyfish! (yes 'smack' is the collective term apparently lol) That would be totally awesome!! Maybe a rare occurrence during some nights... suddenly the whole ocean gets filled with Jellyfish, gently glowing and moving along as a group from the surface down to like 30-40m. Then by the morning, they are all gone again!

Epic!

group-of-jellyfish-smack.jpg

• DavycannonhoundDavycannonhound Join Date: 2015-02-24 Member: 201527Members
    Seldkam wrote: »
    I think we have a "Cave crawler" that looks essentially like a Headcrab from the HalfLife series coming looks VERY alien lol (kinda like a crustacean?)

Where can I find a video or picture of this "Cave crawler"? I haven't seen anything on it.
  • ZourinZourin White Castle Join Date: 2015-02-27 Member: 201577Members
    as long as there's plenty of things to oggle. As much as it's a survival game, it's also a giant fishtank.
  • Nuki255Nuki255 US Join Date: 2015-01-06 Member: 200658Members
    Well the reefbacks will have reefs, on their back.

Eventually.
  • GondoulfGondoulf France Join Date: 2015-03-01 Member: 201624Members
    Or a giant sea monster like that but if they include it in the game it will be hard to go deep
  • SantosSalitaSantosSalita Canada Join Date: 2015-03-01 Member: 201626Members
    I love all these ideas, for me any bigger and scarier creatures which live in the 3000 to 10000 range would be insanely cool and a direction the development team should consider. I'm not sure if biomes in the deep depths of oceans can even realistically support large and extremely dangerous predators, so in that note I realize it may just be for coolness and show at the cost of realism, but oh man would it be awesome.

Maybe a couple giant eels and reptilian dinosaur era aquatic life would be a good addition as well.

But let me get to the reason I decided to make this post. I have a very radicalized idea to offer. Instead of aquatic life I'd like to see some extremely hostile xenomorph/tyrannid types of creatures. Where would you find this you might ask? On the giant crashed ship of course. It should be infested with these things and thus they were the reason the ship crashed in the first place.

Ever since I watched the trailer I thought the game would eventually include ways of creating hazard suits so that you could go aboard the ship to get huge amounts of beneficial resources and weapons. Maybe even an endgame where you access the bridge and the comms relay to send an SOS. But having it so that you slowly have to upgrade your armour and weaponry to get deeper into the ship because you'd probably only be able to make it through a couple rooms before getting f@cked up by countless monsters. The process would be slow, and the threat posed by the creatures would be very substantial. slowly having to inch your way room by room while always having the threat of getting surrounded and overwhelmed.

If this were the case these monsters would be the main antagonist and obstacle the player would face in the game, and surviving and exploring the ocean would simply become a means of gathering resources and better preparing yourself to launch incursions deeper and deeper into the spaceship in order to eventually ensure your rescue. Its a radical direction, but a very cool and plausible implementation.

Open world exploring is always nice, but it gets dull when there aren't any climatic events or goals to work towards.
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    uhhh yeah I'll just leave this here...

*shivers in fear*
  • VandragoraxVandragorax United Kingdom Join Date: 2015-02-24 Member: 201533Members, Subnautica Playtester
    I've got my knife at the ready, and enough oxygen to survive inside it's stomach until I cut my way out ;D

@SantosSalita that sounds like a really good idea. I know the developers were going for a more scientific approach where you do research on various species, but your idea could be a cool alternate mode or something.
    @Requiemfang that would be great for where it goes like below 1500 meters.
    Has to be balanced a fair bit against both the risks of encountered depths as well as the players ability to cope with the problem. If something is coming up on you in the dark (and believe me, the available field of vision gets really small deeper down), the lethality has to go waay down simply because the player currently doesn't have any abilty to either 'recognize and avoid' or 'circumvent the problem'. Traditionally, the latter involves guns and permenantly removing the problem, but in a game like Subnautica, it makes more sense for there to be countermeasures.

Example: Stalkers are 'easy' because they're in shallow water, meaning there is easy access to both air and vision. Additionally, holding a fish or scrap metal will allow them to 'eat out of your hand' rather than bite you. There is also usually a good supply of hoverfish nearby for this. Compare this to Bonesharks, which are encountered deeper down. Access to air is restricted to your proximity to your submarine, significantly less light, and there is no 'countermeasure' once aggressed. They may even follow you into shallow water. Furthermore, they'll attack you in a seamoth. Avoidance is the best defense, but even getting bitten once or twice isn't normally fatal.

Now, compare that to the Leviathan, which is believed to instakill the player and severely damage equipment. No known countermeasure. It is likely a very deep critter given its size, meaning minimal access to air/light. How do you deal with something you can't see coming and can kill/destroy you as soon as it 'spots' you without resorting to warfare? As a map boundary guardian (hunts and kills players going too far off the map) this seems an effective, if trollish, idea, but as a player-challenge, not so much with our given knowledge.
    nono if you go down to hell, you shouldn't be given a free ride back out ;)
    @Zourin you make a good point. There is the stasis rifle, which can be used against pretty much anything. There will hopefully be more weapons, and I have even seen concept art for an underwater mech suit (which could be usedd to grapple with things like the bone sharks). The sea moth is fairly fast, in fact faster than any animal currently in the game. So as you go deeper that is a must as the seamoth helps with visibility as well.
    edited March 2015
    There are some fun things that can be done within the confines of 'no kill' countermeasures, particularly when coupled with lifeform research.

For example:
    Rabbitray research could unlock a 'harmless' scent consumable that would make 'aggressively defensive' creatures like Crashes, Gasopods, and similar creatures non-hostile for several minutes, and could make catching flighty fish like Peepers easier, at the cost of making you more attractive to aggressive predators.

Bonesharks or stalkers could do the opposite, being a medium-predator deterrent (large creatures unaffected), but even non-flighty small fish will avoid you and defensively-aggressive critters would be on a hairtrigger. Again, a several-minute consumable.

Gasopods could unlock a 'gas-grenade', which would be used as an instant, area-effect deterrent useful against large predators to buy you a few precious seconds to GTFO in a pinch.

Then again, I have a bad track record for suggestions/predictions, so who knows. I do agree that there should be more varied wildlife off the shallows. There's only 2-3 types in the kelp forest and at best 0-3 in the red-grass zones, and only the rare jellyrays elsewhere. The Leviathan is interesting, but jellyfish and other invertebrates are definitely due for some action.
    well reading around the wikia for a bit and discovered something that has to do with lifeforms/wildlife

You're gonna see a lot of gene splicing if any indicators are proven to be true when they implement the DNA system and the Transfuser.

http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/DNA
    Lol the few people working on that wiki(I was one of them) have kinda stopped I think... Too many changes to keep up with
    lol some people are still working on it... I mean I actually signed up... don't know how much help I'll be, first time I've signed up for a wiki :S
    Same here, its easy, just do whatever you can... I have midterms lol
    edited March 2015
    The DNA thing seems.. off. Subaquatic Research is one thing, going around like a mutagenetic Mr. Hyde just seems so left-field its stupid. I can understand developing a better understanding of creatures and how they function, and using those kinds of triggers and functions in tools and upgrades, like shark repellents, but "I now has gillz" seems very disappointing as an approach.

They may be behavioral traits or things usable in upgrades, such as Cyclops sonar, or compressed-air tanks, but pulling a DNA Matrix is not just a horrible throwback, but it really breaks the feel of a subaquatic research-survival gig.
    "I know Fish-fu" is bad taste. You were sent on a terraforming mission, not to be some mutant mermaid-wannabe.

8AWTTg5.jpg
    Except you wouldn't be a wannabe, you'd be an actual mutant mermaid :3
    lol jk

Anyways, I think in all features involving the DNA, there is no other alternative-- a consumable that lasts for 3 minutes is plain boring, overdone, and frankly just LAZY. Seriously? Another Crafting Survival game with RPG mechanics? Please god no...

I will defend my mutant mermaid to the last :P
    edited March 2015
    I'd take an upgrade to the dive-bell "Air Tanks" with a compressed version that triples' their duration over DNA bullb*s any day.. but we've missed the point of the post.

6UWL7Nq.jpg

Pet rabbitrays and seamoth saddlebags. Make'm happen!
    shocker_scale.jpg

looks like we'll be seeing this thing in experimental sometime in the future...
  • MisterYoonMisterYoon Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155747Members
    I can't wait for sea emperor. He must be the key of the game btw.
  • Killerkitty641Killerkitty641 London Join Date: 2015-03-13 Member: 202085Members
    Giant sea serpents like from starwars in a massive open water biome with a new sub required to traverse this biome without being turned into dinner. There should also be worms like the one from mass effect.
  • warbrand2warbrand2 Join Date: 2010-12-13 Member: 75657Members
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2234300#Comment_2234300

posting my ideas in this as they might be better viewed.

1. spiny stars
    insperation: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c8/Red-knobbed.starfish.arp.jpg
    info: spiny stars would be large star fish about half the size of the player these starfish like creatures would spawn only in shallows and would feed on the acid mushrooms and braincoral, by default they are not hostile to the player though they can block the coral from spawning air, and kill large sections of acid shrooms.
    interaction: these love metal, as such a sea base in shallow water will quickly become a home for many of he spiny stars, though they can inadvertently cause breaches as they move along the structure.
    use: the player can cut off the arms of this with a knife, doing so doesn't "harm" teh creature, the arms can be used with the creeper vine and salt to make bandages which can heal the player when damaged. (50% health per use, 3 uses per bandage set)

2. swallower (needs better name
    inspiration: http://www.oceanwideimages.com/images/6521/large/lighthouse-fish-40M0911-17.jpg
    inspiration 2: http://i.crackedcdn.com/phpimages/article/4/1/9/139419.jpg?v=1
    info: swallowers would be large seamoth sized fish found in moderate to deep areas, by default this fish would attempt to "eat" everything it sees including the player, this means that a swallower will eat everythign from small fish, to wreckage to the minisubs. If the player is eaten by this they simply have to stab it with a knife until they have "cut it open" at which point it will die releasing everything that was inside it.
    interaction: the player can cut it open killing it and giving its scales, and everything it has eaten, these things will always have a large amount of the food fish in the area inside them and most metal and drop loots.
    use: NA just a hostile creature.

3. sea lurker
    inspiration: http://images.says.com/uploads/story_source/source_image/133448/f5ec.jpeg
    info: the sea lurker is a deep sea spider like creature that the player would find mostly harmless, though if attacked they can release a small "ball web" that can slow the player down for a time.
    interactions: these things love to web up light sources as that attracts small fish to them for food as such, a player in a dark area may find them selves having to cut webbing and lurkers off of their subs or bases periodically, though if left the web can be used as a way to quickly get food as smaller fish will get trapped in it.
    use: the web can be used to make netting walls which block fish from going through them. though large fish could just bash through it.

4. filter whale
    inspiration: http://www.nefsc.noaa.gov/faq/images/bskshrk.jpg
    info: a filter whale would be a large sea creature rivaling the main sub in size, though the creature would be 100% passive to the player even ignoring the player and other fish as they attack it, this fish would slowely swim across deep water areas doing mostly nothing. the unique thing about this fish would be a hollow mouth which would sort of be like a coral tube is in game, these things could be swam through with out a care.
    inerations: the filter whales would mostly ignore the player, though as they swim through deep water they have a tenancy to filter quartz resulting in their "filter tube" having large deposits of it. as the creature is completely harmless the player can jsut swim up and grab it.
    use: large decorative fish that can be found in any area that has deep water (though can be found from shallows to the deep).
  • ConeshotConeshot Join Date: 2015-03-13 Member: 202091Members
    Swarms of tiny carnivorous fish or shrimp that attack and eat anything in their path.. like a cross between locusts and piranha?