Strange/Unique Map Layout Ideas

MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
No idea if a thread like this exists already but I don't want to look it up now.

The purpose of this thread is to come up with layout ideas that seem out of place and discuss those if they could be implemented as maps in the game or not. And if not why not.

So here is mine:
328ccde435.png

The basic idea of this layout is to make the teams commit to something (spoken in a 6v6 view). SO as you can see we have 5 TP and 10 RTs. We have 2 double RT rooms with a Techpoint at the outside part of the map. those rooms are supposed to be further away from the map so reaching them would take longer than reaching the middle. As you can see we have another TP in the center but that one has no RT. So it only serves as a spot for forward spawns and easy access to enemy naturals. Now I would like to know what other mapper and players think of this idea

You are very welcome to post your own ideas in here btw

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Mephilles wrote: »
    No idea if a thread like this exists already but I don't want to look it up now.

The purpose of this thread is to come up with layout ideas that seem out of place and discuss those if they could be implemented as maps in the game or not. And if not why not.

So here is mine:
    328ccde435.png

The basic idea of this layout is to make the teams commit to something (spoken in a 6v6 view). SO as you can see we have 5 TP and 10 RTs. We have 2 double RT rooms with a Techpoint at the outside part of the map. those rooms are supposed to be further away from the map so reaching them would take longer than reaching the middle. As you can see we have another TP in the center but that one has no RT. So it only serves as a spot for forward spawns and easy access to enemy naturals. Now I would like to know what other mapper and players think of this idea

You are very welcome to post your own ideas in here btw

You could test this first one out right now. Just take summit, remove crossroads rt, and add 1 each to flight and data. Then fix spawns at atrium/sub. (or you could rotate it 90 degrees and have sub/atrium doubles, and flight/data starts)

Hard to say for sure without actually playing it, but I assume marines will always try to re-locate to these two rooms, and the double rez might encourage turtling.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    the problem is that flight and datacore are too close to the map. For it to make it work the way I want it to be I would need to add 4 more rooms. 2 infront of flight and 2 infront of datacore to increase the distance there
  • 0ni0ni Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Members
    I've always wanted to see a summit like map where marines start in the middle and Aliens spawn randomly at the other 4. Maybe have a lot of vents and complicated geometry to balance it. Maybe the central room is the only big room. I dunno but I think it'd be cool for something different.

I also would like to see more highly compressed maps, even more than tram, where crags and shifts through walls and arcs get heavily used. That could be super epic maybe.

Just throwing ideas out there.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    yep it's good for throwing out ideas.

now what I think of it. the good thing with that is that the map would play very differently depending on alien spawn. So the map wouldn't be stale.

However the gameplay would still be the same then with a relocation. it's marines denying the alien RTs easily. And if you would go for a larger distance from center to RTs it would probably favour aliens because aliens can drop an early second hive behind the marines and surround them...

Though I have no idea how it would look like when you design it to work with those spawns... no idea how to design it but if it's possible it could be a great map
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    0ni wrote: »
    I also would like to see more highly compressed maps, even more than tram, where crags and shifts through walls and arcs get heavily used. That could be super epic maybe.

YES!!! YES times infinity! Every new map now seems to be just huge, and it typically means that if a marine PG goes down, it's GG, not just a setback. It also seems like map makers go out of their way to keep arcs from being useful, to keep arcs from hitting a hive through a wall, despite that being exactly their intended purpose.

Side note... ns2_temple's new layout is very compressed, like tram. :D
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    BeigeAlert wrote: »

YES!!! YES times infinity! Every new map now seems to be just huge, and it typically means that if a marine PG goes down, it's GG, not just a setback. It also seems like map makers go out of their way to keep arcs from being useful, to keep arcs from hitting a hive through a wall, despite that being exactly their intended purpose.

I know you have said this before, but there is a difference from intended arc use to OP arc locations. For example on an older version of mineshaft you could arc deposit from central drilling. It was near impossible for aliens to do anything about it either.

As you said, intended use is fun. Tram is a great example as mention.
    Nordic wrote: »
    BeigeAlert wrote: »

I know you have said this before, but there is a difference from intended arc use to OP arc locations. For example on an older version of mineshaft you could arc deposit from central drilling. It was near impossible for aliens to do anything about it either.

As you said, intended use is fun. Tram is a great example as mention.

Yes, that example is of course an OP usage of arcs, and I certainly wasn't advocating that. :)
  • 0ni0ni Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Members
    I'm pretty confident that a claustrophobic map could be pretty easily balanced with good vent layouts for harassment and bile. Having steady access to crags and shifts is pretty epic. Do you have any idea how annoying a celery gorge with a shift can be? Or a Cara Lerk with infinite spores and a crag? Super thin walls are totally a two way street. That's why it could be cool though.

What time zone you be living in @BeigeAlert ?
    I'm pretty confident that a claustrophobic map could be pretty easily balanced with good vent layouts for harassment and bile. Having steady access to crags and shifts is pretty epic. Do you have any idea how annoying a celery gorge with a shift can be? Or a Cara Lerk with infinite spores and a crag? Super thin walls are totally a two way street. That's why it could be cool though.

What time zone you be living in @BeigeAlert ?

CST. It's 8:20am right now. :)
  • radionautradionaut california Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181192Members, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Gold
    i'd like to see a 3 tech point map if one doesn't already exist. something like this might turn out to be fun in a 6v6 setting.

TJEPZkA.png
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2015
    radionaut wrote: »
    i'd like to see a 3 tech point map if one doesn't already exist. something like this might turn out to be fun in a 6v6 setting.

Radionaut posted a picture of ovaries.

That's a lot of res for each tech point.

ELbMUu7.jpg

YBtJFlM.jpg

Just some old official ideas, back when NS2 was originally a 5 to 6 tech point game, and tech points were not synonymous with having a res node.