Concern about pop-up issues (graphics)

MisterYoonMisterYoon Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155747Members

Subnautica is definately the most beautiful game ever created. Every place is so majestic. It's the only game which already moved me only by looking around.

One concern is though, as the scale of this game is so freaking huge(which appreciate me like millions times), so that my eyes and many other's eye will constantly suffer from graphical pop-up issues.
For example, i can't see some things like seamoth or overall fishes (especially stalker and bone shark etc) anymore by just swimming 50m away from it. Worse thing is, around the distance(around the limitaiton of view), they pop out suddenly by just stepping back once and also in contrast appears suddenly by stepping forward once.

I'm certain that you're aware of this issue and i know that it's at the moment minor issue which could be addressed after the game is finished for the public release.
And i also have recognised that you've already set on some places the well-known fog-effect for softening pop-up issues, which works also pretty well. Fine job!

However, as i recently love to travel to reef biodome and floating island, i experienced huge problem of that pop up issue. That super large reef, island appears suddenly, especially when i drive fast with seamoth. This does disturb my eyes alot.
I know those places are WIP and probably that's why there are more serious pop-up-issue on those places. But for example, i just noticed that i still see those pop-up issues also on mushroom tree zone which has been ingame for quite while.

So my question is, is there any possibility or certain technical plan to soften or almost remove these pop-up issues especially on those majestic places with giant plants/structures?
And, most importantly will Unity-Engine handle it without sacrificing too much of memory?

It has made me sad especially on mushroom tree zones, that i can't see those superb beautiful lightning effects of very detailed plants around the tree from the distance and that it suddenly pops up and surprise me if i get closer.

Comments

• AlvegaAlvega Brasil Join Date: 2015-02-19 Member: 201430Members
    I agree. I just noticed this with today's experimental build, but it's a big immersion breaker. The mushrooms start popping just a few meters away. Never noticed it before. Did this latest build change anything that is causing that?
  • SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    This happened to me awhile ago, began after a patch I believe... not really sure what to do about it besides F8 it and mention it here-- don't be surprised if it isn't fixed until later though
  • Nuki255Nuki255 US Join Date: 2015-01-06 Member: 200658Members
    Have any of you guys hit F1 or F3 and played around with the settings? There's one called "maximum view distance" or something crazy like that. I've clicked on it but it doesn't seem to change the draw distance, in fact most of the architecture disappears. I am playing around with it to see if I can make something work better.