[Bug Report] Converting string to uppercase doesn't work for 'ä'

d4rkAlfd4rkAlf Sweden Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189309Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
edited February 2015 in Technical Support
So I'm trying out the Swedish translation and I noticed a little oddity. The string "COMMANDER (Commander: )" is written in lower-case but is converted by the game "on the fly" by the game into upper-case. Unfortunately it doesn't work for certain characters, apparently.

The character that it doesn't work for is the lower-case of the letter ä. The word should be shown to users as "BEFLÄLHAVARE: " but is instead shown as "BEFLäLHAVARE: ".

As a workaround I have simply submitted the string "BEFLÄLHAVARE: ", which should "force" the system into using the correct letter. I still think, however, that it's something the CDT should be made aware of.

f66bdc11a6028060e8227eebd1f286.jpg
comm.jpg 153.6K

Comments

• develdevel Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198444Members
    edited February 2015
    It would be odd if this had worked correctly. Fully-featured globalization libraries are huge beasts that are not very fun to use in the game code.

And these libraries know details of every language.
    For example, character capitalization sometimes depends on the language and context, and sometimes can produce two letters instead of one.
  • d4rkAlfd4rkAlf Sweden Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189309Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Oh yes, I'm very well aware. An interesting video on the subject of internationalization is available on Youtube by Tom Scott from the Computerphile channel.

(As an aside, "internationalization" is the longest English word Tom Scott uses on a "daily" basis.)