So.... NS2:Combat

MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
Fancied a game of combat last night, so jumped in on the quick play button and got put on an empty server. My browser showed only five servers and no players.

Do any of you guys still play combat or was my steam being rubbish? :(

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2015
    Just wanted to remind you that this is the wrong forum for combat discussions! Please head over to http://faultlinegames.com/forums/

And looking at https://steamdb.info/app/310110/graphs/ your experience seems to be normal.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    There's just no player playing this game. Too bad.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited February 2015
    Alas, tis a sad tale that ye all know too well.

Here's to hoping that if the adequate infrastructure is ever put in place, combat might make its way back into the main NS2 client in some form or another.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah I know its a Faultline game and they have their own forums but the question was for this community.

Also is the Mod still being played by anyone?
  • MCMLXXXIVMCMLXXXIV Join Date: 2010-04-14 Member: 71400Members
    Yes, it is sad that the only real times we get full servers are during playtests and at weekends nowadays.

We're still making content for the game but unfortunately within the Faultline team only one or two of us actually use social media or our own website to whip up interest in what we're doing. Our sales are also much lower than we had budgeted for so we don't have much of a marketing budget to work with.

It's something I'm trying to get people into (e.g. the mantra 'if you do something, tell people about it!') but it may be too little too late at this point.

We are working on new content and a new game mode for NS2: Combat, and we will drop the general price at some point soon. We would like to do things that will keep the community alive if we can...

Does anyone have any ideas or would like to help us in this regard?
  • Anti_BosonAnti_Boson Join Date: 2013-07-03 Member: 185878Members
    @meatmachine that link seems to be dead
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Anti_Boson wrote: »
    @meatmachine that link seems to be dead
    Works for me
    edited February 2015
    Still not working for me. Weird. Anyway Combat can't integrate with NS2. NS2 is 32 bit, combat is 64. Somebody running 32 bit os will run out of mem trying to play combat.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2015
    @meatmachine thats an internal team discussion...

Basically, it's an idea to include stable builds in NS2 to prevent mods from breaking with each update.

MCMLXXXIV wrote: »
    Yes, it is sad that the only real times we get full servers are during playtests and at weekends nowadays.

We're still making content for the game but unfortunately within the Faultline team only one or two of us actually use social media or our own website to whip up interest in what we're doing. Our sales are also much lower than we had budgeted for so we don't have much of a marketing budget to work with.

It's something I'm trying to get people into (e.g. the mantra 'if you do something, tell people about it!') but it may be too little too late at this point.

We are working on new content and a new game mode for NS2: Combat, and we will drop the general price at some point soon. We would like to do things that will keep the community alive if we can...

In order to survive, one must learn to adapt to changes. :P

Combat needs a draw card (gimmicks even) to attract new players who have not experienced NS2, or were intimidated by its steep learning curve. (I hope the new modes will!)

More effort to improve the enjoyment of both new and experienced players are required, by improving both accessibility as well as depth. That won't be a small task, and will take at least months of iterative testing and redesigns. I hope the constant shifts will revive the game with renewed energy and curious gamers.

It has been unfortunate for FLG to find out the hard way that the target (casual) audiences were not reached, and most of the current NS2 players do not appreciate the value currently delivered by Combat.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2015
    Why not jump ship and start developing a new game?
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    isn't combat essentially Res4Kill? I'm not good, generally a bad skulk. If someone is good in combat they grow and get better while I suck and struggle to get res to grow. Therefore I'm rewarded much more slowly than a good player. So why should I play?

That's why I like 11v11 in NS2. I'm only a 10% handicap to my team.
    You get XP for every point of damage you do, though it is only rewarded when the enemy is killed. Even if you didn't make the kill, you get assist XP. Might look into giving each point of XP per damage in real time though.
  • joohoo_n3djoohoo_n3d Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164703Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    had it remained a free mod like the original then more than 3 people would be playing it...but this was a lesson learned (or lost?) for the devs.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Played combat a ton when it first came out, now I only drop in from time to time when a patch is released.

I stopped playing because the balance of the game was terrible. Yea, it seemed roughly 50/50, but in order to get there, players are FORCED to go Exo/Onos as soon as they can, or their team loses. Seriously, being a crack shot with a JP/SG should be just as deadly as an exosuit, and being a good fade should be just as good as being a good onos. Instead, the winning team is more often than not the team with the most players who abandon their lower lifeforms the instant exos/onos are available. They're just not fun to play. It's especially frustrating when an extremely skilled player hops in an exo, and is able to single-handedly defend the base (we all know who I'm talking about :) ) while the rest of the team attacks aliens.

TLDR: Game should be called "tech-faster!!!!" not "combat".
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    @twiliteblue Post amended, nothing to see here doo do do doo
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2015
    I'd probably play a lot more combat if it was accessible within the main game. I understand some of the reasons as to why they made the choice to go stand-alone but it certainly didn't pay off in terms of developing a healthy population of players.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I know this thread is OT, but here are my thoughts. I got combat when it first came out (paid full price, cos I thought FLG had an interesting idea that deserved my attention). I actually haven't played combat except for may be 30 minutes. At release, I had a crappy PC, and combat chugged at 12fps or less (I think it is the intensity of the encounters (always a heap happening on screen). Now that my PC is better (I haven't replace the graphics card though - there isn't many players playing so I again haven't fired it up).

Am I sad about the situation? Yes, but that is how gaming works. NS2 is a niche game, and Combat is a niche part of NS2. I agree with @AussieKid ,FLG are a talented group, and should move on and create something else that isn't NS related. I will gladly check out your new work.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    isn't combat essentially Res4Kill? I'm not good, generally a bad skulk. If someone is good in combat they grow and get better while I suck and struggle to get res to grow. Therefore I'm rewarded much more slowly than a good player. So why should I play?

:). If you really strive for it you can be a 15% liability to your team. Gotta work for it though.

One tip, tell everyone you're going gorge. And drop a terrible tunnel.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    @meatmachine thats an internal team discussion...

Basically, it's an idea to include stable builds in NS2 to prevent mods from breaking with each update.

MCMLXXXIV wrote: »

In order to survive, one must learn to adapt to changes. :P

Combat needs a draw card (gimmicks even) to attract new players who have not experienced NS2, or were intimidated by its steep learning curve. (I hope the new modes will!)

More effort to improve the enjoyment of both new and experienced players are required, by improving both accessibility as well as depth. That won't be a small task, and will take at least months of iterative testing and redesigns. I hope the constant shifts will revive the game with renewed energy and curious gamers.

It has been unfortunate for FLG to find out the hard way that the target (casual) audiences were not reached, and most of the current NS2 players do not appreciate the value currently delivered by Combat.

Might aswell make it F2P and sell hats while we're at it haha
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Actually F2P for combat might work, depends on what revenue model is used. Hats is a no-no but adverts during the (long) load times... perhaps.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2015
    CarNagE1 wrote: »
    I still think Standalone was a bad idea, a payed DLC would be a better thing to do, ppl in one game would switch modes just by joining server with dedicated mod. I think that working together with CDT on one github would solve compatibility problems. Combat was popular as a mod.

This.

The ability to interchange between game modes would of been a major bonus for NSC than having it as a separate entity.

Combat alone is not enough for the average gamer, it becomes just another mindless generic fps shooter. Only reason Call of Duty and Battlefield series work and continues to do so is because they established a major player base years ago with the original COD and BF1942 which were smash hits and have millions in their marketing budget to pull it off which targeted specifically alot of teenage players that had daddys credit cards to buy the game with.

Which is why you see alot of 13 year old trolls on these games.

NSC couldn't compete with that kind of opposition, not without major funding. Paint it however you want it but money is a real driving force behind how successful a game can be. There are very few notable exceptions.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    It would have been much better to offer NS2 Combat as a standalone expansion or something like that. If the two products were somehow integrated, I trust it would benefit both games tremendously. I don't know if it's already too late for that, but if it's not it's really something that should be considered. Combat was hugely popular in NS 1 and I don't see why that success can't be mirrored this time around.

You'd also have to drop the price though. I know I personally haven't picked it up because I consider 15 euros a bit too steep for what is essentially a well executed NS2 mod.
    As a 5 - 10 euro standalone expansion for the base game, I reckon the game would receive a lot more exposure and have a lot more people willing to give it a try. Yes, that may sound like a low price considering the development costs, but the significant boost in sales would more than make up for it.
    edited February 2015
    Xarius wrote: »
    It would have been much better to offer NS2 Combat as a standalone expansion or something like that. If the two products were somehow integrated, I trust it would benefit both games tremendously. I don't know if it's already too late for that, but if it's not it's really something that should be considered. Combat was hugely popular in NS 1 and I don't see why that success can't be mirrored this time around.

You'd also have to drop the price though. I know I personally haven't picked it up because I consider 15 euros a bit too steep for what is essentially a well executed NS2 mod.
    As a 5 - 10 euro standalone expansion for the base game, I reckon the game would receive a lot more exposure and have a lot more people willing to give it a try. Yes, that may sound like a low price considering the development costs, but the significant boost in sales would more than make up for it.

NS1 Combat was popular because it convenient... In a sense that it didn't require the user to do anything or spend money at the time, if you wanted combat you just simply joined a server that was running a combat map, if you wanted the normal NS experience you simply changed server that was running a NS map. Simple as that.

With ns2 combat I had to pay for it separately, load it separately, play a game for alittle while then when I decided enough was enough, exit the application, start up a new separate process of NS2 and repeat all over again.

They detracted the experience by having it as a separate entity instead of focusing on what should of been seamless integration. This was incovenient.

Not implying I am lazy or other people are but the decision to make NS1 combat interchangeable at any given time from just a couple of mouse clicks away was a move in the right direction.

Heres a scenario, speculate if NS1 Combat was released separately and commanded its own price. Would it receive the same praise now as it did then? I doubt it.
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think one of the most important aspects that someone somewhere in development underestimated is the ease of access and the capacity to switch between the main game and combat. I certainly can speak for myself that I would play a lot more combat IF it was in the main game, a mode I can just switch on or a server-browsing filter. Having to load up a completely different client especially with the eternity-long loading screens that NS suffers from is just a pain.

The argument that people give this "stop being lazy" or "it doesn't take that long to switch between games" is just pathetic. Conveniency is a massive influence. WoW is still one of the most popular MMOs after 10 years because much of the games mechanics are intuitive and convenient. You can switch easily between queuing for a dungeon and queuing for a PvP battleground anywhere at any time. Imagine having to load a completely different client if you wanted to join a raid. Pretty absurd.

As others have said, having it just as DLC in the main game (if that's possible) would be a much better choice.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    My biggest 2 issues left with Combat: SA, are:

* that most servers (or combat SA server stability) is as crap as NS2's was a gazilion patches ago.
    Literally every server ever having players tanks and starts to stutter, warp and behave badly.

* It feels off. (And I know being so broad in this statement doesn't help them either). Im just not sure WHY it feels off. The ns2 mod felt a lot better, but I simply do not know why.
    I mean, the game mode is there, the kills for res is there, its all the same.. yet it feels.. detached. I do not feel I am playing the 'same' marines or alien lifeforms and its not the change in certain skills.
    Wish I could say what feels different.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow

This. You often hear that combat is good and less intimidating for new players compared to vanilla NS2. This is simply not true. Combat snowballs horrifically in favor of the winning team and in particular the top fraggers - much more so than vanilla.

For this reason alone, combat stand alone was a horrible idea to start with, even though there's plenty of other equally reasonable reasons not to build that game.

If they had at least introduced some more interesting game modes, that didn't snowball so bad, maybe it would've stood a chance.
  • MisterYoonMisterYoon Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155747Members
    It should be run on same launcher of normal NS2 so that any NS2 players owning Combat can jump into combat through same server browser. It is non sense that they seperated it. It should just work exactly as standalone expansion like Battlefield's or Company of Heroes's